Speeding - Time to increase speed limits?

Originally posted by JoePritchard

That's right. There have been some mathematical modelling studies done using models of different types of driver behaviour, and the highest throughput for a particular road net is usually obtained by hitting a 'sweet speed' for that road and good distance between cars.

Sometimes you get weird tailbacks where there appears to be no reason for them - these are a type of compression wave running through the traffic queue, where cars slow down because they're getting close to the guy in front. The ripple effect of braking then flows back until there's no one close enough to see the brake lights in front go on.

I remember about 10 years ago writing a simple model of this process for the heck of it and was gob-smacked when it worked 'according to theory'!

joe

Yeah I've done some work in to this as well.

wibbles> as soon as you leave a distance between yourself and the car in front, someone nips in front of you. There is no such thing as a stopping distance :huh:

Originally posted by Skatiechik

Oh dear :loopy: You sound like one of the morons that tailgates in the fastlane just because you think there is an inadequate car in front of you that doesn't deserve to be in the fast lane. Just because a more new car may have better braking than a old car doesn't necessarily mean it is driven by a better driver.

Considering you've quoted me, I don't understand how you could arrive at the conclusion that I think people in Citroens shouldnt be in the outside lane. As its school holidays, I'll make an assumption that you're a child and let you off. However, Citroens should be allowed to travel at 70mph in which ever lane they choose but if the motorway is clear, certain cars should be able to travel faster - and I'm not talking about 150mph, more like 100mph tops - again - for sports cars only.

Originally posted by Rossmeister

Considering you've quoted me, I don't understand how you could arrive at the conclusion that I think people in Citroens shouldnt be in the outside lane. As its school holidays, I'll make an assumption that you're a child and let you off. However, Citroens should be allowed to travel at 70mph in which ever lane they choose but if the motorway is clear, certain cars should be able to travel faster - and I'm not talking about 150mph, more like 100mph tops - again - for sports cars only.

Rossmeister. You're an idiot.

Considering you've quoted me, I don't understand how you could arrive at the conclusion that I think people in Citroens shouldnt be in the outside lane.

I came to that conclusion from the impression your post conveyed. Hence me posting 'It sounds......'

As its school holidays, I'll make an assumption that you're a child and let you off.

I don't see why you feel the need to patronise me. Would you care to explain this?

However, Citroens should be allowed to travel at 70mph in which ever lane they choose but if the motorway is clear, certain cars should be able to travel faster - and I'm not talking about 150mph, more like 100mph tops - again - for sports cars only.

Okay so let me get this right!

I am travelling in a slowish car (80mph top speed), the motorway is fairly empty. I am doing 70mph, but I am rapidly appproaching a lorry in the middle lane. I look in my rearview/wing mirror, its all clear. Signal then move out into the fast lane. Now because I am only doing 70mph and you were doing 100mph, you appear from nowhere and start to tailgate me. Now in your opinion I shouldn't have had the right to be in the fastlane, because my car is 'inferior'.

Is this what you were trying to say, as I read it that way?

Originally posted by ptigga

Rossmeister. You're an idiot.

Isnt that sweet. Run along little girl.

You do enjoy patronising people, people usually do this because they have an inferiority problem (this statement in no way suggests Rossmeister has one, but merely makes a fact)

I rest my case.

Originally posted by Skatiechik

I came to that conclusion from the impression your post conveyed. Hence me posting 'It sounds......'

I don't see why you feel the need to patronise me. Would you care to explain this?

Okay so let me get this right!

I am travelling in a slowish car (80mph top speed), the motorway is fairly empty. I am doing 70mph, but I am rapidly appproaching a lorry in the middle lane. I look in my rearview/wing mirror, its all clear. Signal then move out into the fast lane. Now because I am only doing 70mph and you were doing 100mph, you appear from nowhere and start to tailgate me. Now in your opinion I shouldn't have had the right to be in the fastlane, because my car is 'inferior'.

Is this what you were trying to say, as I read it that way?

I apologise for patronising you but you called me a moron, therefore I felt justified in my action. Why do you people (Wiggles, P...t..gg whatever and yourself) not get the concept? And if the motorway is quiet, why is the lorry in the middle lane? Anyway, you can travel at 70mph in any lane. I said nothing about the right be in that lane and if your car is so underpowered then yes, it is inferior. Do you have a problem with the fact that your car is inferior to a Porsche? It seems to me that this is more an argument about womens rights than motorway rights.

At the minute I drive a fiesta 1.1

Today I test drove a Focus 1.6. It is far superior to the fiesta in terms of braking and handling, as well as safety. If I had to do an emergency stop, I know which vehicle of the two i'd prefer to be driving!

I know the speeding thread has been closed but following the ongoing discussion about Halifax Road I saw the funniest thing this morning!

Came out of High Green onto the A61 and proceeded to follow this little old couple in an R reg Fiesta at 35 - 40 mph all the way towards Grenoside (its national speed limit road).

Needless to say, by the time we reached Grenoside there was a line of traffic some 10-15 very frustrated car drivers behind us.

The speed limit reduces to 30 mph but for whatever reason, our little old couple decided to maintain the speed that they had been doing for the previous 5 miles..... straight through the speed camera at somewhere between 35 and 40 mph.

Needless to say it flashed. Twice. Gotcha.

There is a God!

hahaha, why was the other thread closed btw? Wouldn't normally care, but mine was the last post!