Heeley Memories

I remember Pete Scholey's mum Connie. Her and my Nanan were good friends. My Nanan was Eva Parkin and she lived with her parents Edgar and Eva Stocks on Myrtle Road, opposide the cobbles on Heeley Green. My mum Carol Parkin born 1944 went to Heeley Bank school, as did her brother Ronnie Parkin who is a few years older.

Yes, I remember Connie, she was a single mother at the time and working.

Me and Pete set up their cellar kitchen to make small tables and stools, but we never finished the first one. He did go on to be a joiner though. Last I heard Pete was in South Africa.

My granma Caswell lived across the road at 348, next door to my pal Hewie Keenan. Another pal Frank Roncksly lived a couple of doors down.

I do remember Ronnie at Heeley Bank, a year or two older than me. He played football for the school.

(I hadn't heard that term "cobbles" in 60 years.)

Not sure if this is the right thread to contribute to but I am trying to find photographs of Edwin Road - I believe that the houses were knocked down sometime in the 1960s. Does anyone know of any sites that have photographs of this street? Not quite sure of the number of the house my family lived in but I can find this out.

Also, does anyone know of any photos of Gleedless Road, as was in the 1940s- 1960s? I am trying to see if I can find a photograph of a barbers shop run by the Wilson family (Walter Wilson) - I think the shop was at the bottom end of Gleedless Road.

Not sure if this is the right thread to contribute to but I am trying to find photographs of Edwin Road - I believe that the houses were knocked down sometime in the 1960s. Does anyone know of any sites that have photographs of this street? Not quite sure of the number of the house my family lived in but I can find this out.

Also, does anyone know of any photos of Gleedless Road, as was in the 1940s- 1960s? I am trying to see if I can find a photograph of a barbers shop run by the Wilson family (Walter Wilson) - I think the shop was at the bottom end of Gleedless Road.

www.picturesheffield.com

Edwin Road, Heeley

Edwin Road, Heeley02

Edited by me-and-pippo

Hi debsp I remember all the shops you mentioned, especially the Drinks shop, saspirella mmmmmmm. Tingles - they used to sell all balls of wool and stuff like that, not much call for that stuff now.

Do you remember the newsagents called Woolhouses?

also the Wagon and Horses and the Round House?

I was born around that time, which school did you go to?

I went to Heeley Bank, and for a little while Annes Rd before Newfield.

My gran used to live on Walden Rd - 27 I think.

Do you still live in sheffield?

Hi, I remember Woolhouses which was near the Coop where my mum used to buy the milk tokens. They had one of those amazing piped change machines where the money, the change and the receipt whooshed across the ceiling to somewhere and then back again. We used to go to the sarspirella shop on the way back from swimming at the Heeley Baths on a Saturday, (using the buff card with the tear-off squares marked 'scholar', which gave us a discounted entry, and I used to get my comics, Beezer, Beano and Dandy from Woolhouses with a sachet of orange 'Spree', which was a concentrate really, but I used to suck it out neat. There was a vegetable shop further down that sold hot cooked beetroot and I used to eat one from a paper bag on the way home. I got in a proper mess, but was addicted to the stuff! I went to Heeley Bank School from 1956 to 1962 and still remember Miss Linstead, Miss Wing, Mr Woods and a young teacher called Miss Fortune! I remember she got married and her name was still amusing, although I cannot now remember it. I remember school outings to Weston Park Museum and the Sheffield Playhouse to see The Wind in the Willows. I was the third generation of our family to live on Edwin Road, which terminated at the top with a high wall, behind which was Taggy's dairy, I think? The Newfield Inn was near the bottom of Edwin Road where there was a shop on each corner - one called Shaws and the other owned by Mr Wilson who was helped by a lady we all called 'Auntie Lottie'. There was a chip shop round the corner from Shaws and we kids used to go to buy a ha'porth of scraps there.:)

---------- Post added 25-06-2013 at 18:16 ----------

Does anyone remember the Green family from Edwin Road? They were there from 1901 - 1962. My grandparents both died before I was born and I have a photo of Arthur Lionel Green but cannot find one of my gran, Sarah Green, nee Spencer. She died age 51 in 1931 after a very hard life from what I have found out so far.

Hi I know I'm a few years late for this thread but I noticed somebody was asking about the Goodison family, well I am Barry Goodisons grandaughter and I know he orignally was from heeley so thought I would write back to see if anyone can share any stories.

Hi, did your Dad Barry have a driving school? I think my Dad was his cousin....

---------- Post added 27-07-2013 at 21:41 ----------

Years ago I asked on this thread about any Goodison descendants from Heeley.

Whilst researching my paternal family history I found that my grandmother who died when my father (her son) was just 5 weeks old in 1923 was called Ethel Wildgoose nee Goodison and was born in 1884.

After further research I found that Ethel's parents were John and Ellen Goodison nee Atkin both Heeley families.

Are there any Goodison people descended from this line?

Yes, Yes I think I am! I have a John and Ellen Goodison in my family tree they are my Gt Gt Grandparents if it's the same ones, my maiden name is Goodison.

I do recall the suit as well,he was a nice old guy ,but he could be nasty when he wanted to be,he did not like talking in class & the chalk used to fly all over the place.In one class room I remember a big map in the left hand corner of the class,in the big playground I fell down a little drain & twisted my ankle & I remember a kid falling on the spikes at the bottom gate while climbing over it.Does anyone remember a lad called Steven Worm ,he was a runner very tall for his age.

I was in the same class at Annes Road as Steven Worn in the 60s.

Mr Goulding scared the hell out of me...............the stuff nighmares are made of he was!

Regards,

Pat

I had Bill Goulding as a teacher for a couple of years at Heeley bank school in the early 50's...

My only claim to fame is I once made him laugh out loud......

I alan i can't remember your name or joan, george I remember nina, jean, christine,jane they was in the same class as me at carfield. My name is john hayway i used to go in meersbrook park a lot to play footy we always played at the bottom near the old nursury. If u come up with anything else please get in touch

Thought it was you John!! I lived at 88 Albert road How is Graham?

hi, i was just doing a google search for egerton hotel and your post came up. Just started a family history course and ive got a copy of the census from 1891, as my nans parents are listed as lodgers of a Henry and Mary Depledge of the Egerton Hotel. Their names are Edmund and Carrie Depledge. so Im assuming they were all part of the same extended family. My nannan was born about 4 yrs later and her name was Mary Depledge.

I can remember going to a guest house in Blackpool owned by a Depledge family, they were friends of my dad who was a coach driver. I remember it well because I watched England win the world cup whilst I was there. I may be mistaken but wasnt there a family connection between the Depledges and the Tingles??

---------- Post added 05-09-2013 at 12:45 ----------

I lived in sturge street and most of the names you mention I recognise. I didnt find this site until last year and am catching up with the quotes. Mick Brookfield, Richard Atkinson and mick Cunningham went to Heeley bank school with me, and Mick Harrity and I met when his family moved into Sturge St. and we became best friends ans were insperable for years.

This a fascinating thread and one that must be kept running !!

I wasn't born in Heeley, but here are a few Heeley people, some family, others school friends.

My cousin Roy Hartley, lived on Slate Street and his sisters Eileen and Maureen.

Richard Atkinson, Richard Perks, Alan Anderson and Mick Cunningham, all lived on

Alexandra Rd.

David Nicholson lived on Jeffrey St, used to play with him when I went to my Grandparents.

Mick Brookfield lived on Gleadless Road, almost opposite Jeffrey St.

John Osborne, whose Dad was Caretaker at Anns Rd.

Mick Harrity lived at the back of Heeley Church.

Peter Wilson lived on Well Road.

---------- Post added 06-09-2013 at 13:34 ----------

Hi runningman

Smiled about your names string, a few names to conjure with from Sturge Street, I already mentioned Mick Harrity, his younger brother Tony?? Les Merriman, John Millington, Graham Hague, Derek and Terry Streets, Nigel and Roger Solway. Not bad to say it must be over thirty years since I visited that area. When we were kids because Sturge St was a cul de sac (blank end in our language) all the dads used to collect anything that would burn and we had a huge bonfire on Nov 5 its a wonder we didnt set the houses on fire. At the bottom on the geenel that linked Sturge Street to Gleadless Road used to be a family called Callaby but I cant remember any surnames.

I've lost contact (email)with a contributer to expats on this forum, who emigrated to Australia and is/was a prison warder as was her husband Kel'. An article in the star this week reminded me of a request for info a couple of years ago. I forwarded some pic's to Australia. If you still go on Sheffield forum please respond and I'll forward the article. :huh::