Heeley Memories

Couple of memories - people related..anyone remember Donald Bradford who was a great looking young fella' but died young as a result of a motor bike accident when he was about17 yrs old, around 1960, very sad. We hung around St. Pauls youth club on the Arbourthorne, even tho' he lived down lower Heeley - maybe around Thirwell Rd or Oak St. We had some fun times together at the Teen Bar, all while we were around 13 to the time of his death!!

Also Pamela Bradford who I don't believe was related to DB above, and think she lived down around Spurr St, Slate St or Moffatt Rd area? Met her when I was in S2 at Heeley Bank and she was S4 at Anns Rd or maybe Carfield. Anyway we dated but as she was older and taller than me and when we went to the Heeley Green on our first date to see an "A" picture, she had to purchase one and a half (one adult and one child) even tho' I paid from my paper route money, she had to "take me in". What a laugh! Then we had Archie was it?? flashing his torch on us all night on the back row while we ate our joysticks and choc-ices!!!! lol lol

Love to hear from anyone that remembers either one of them

It sounds like we,re the same age but I dont remember either of the people you mention but I used to go to the teen bar.

Hi Scaleman ...just a couple of years ahead of you born Dec 43 (I think you referred to being born in 47 earlier in the thread) but that was a big difference at those ages eh?

Teen Bar was something else though wasn't it...there was also a coffee shop with a jukebox at the bottom of Oak St. I think it was, that we hung out at around the same time...remember that?

Hi,

Can you tell me any more about your Depledges? I have some in my family and am stuck! I have been told that my great-great grandad Henry Depledge formerly of Egerton Hotel Sheffield, moved to Blackpool.

Thanks.

hi, i was just doing a google search for egerton hotel and your post came up. Just started a family history course and ive got a copy of the census from 1891, as my nans parents are listed as lodgers of a Henry and Mary Depledge of the Egerton Hotel. Their names are Edmund and Carrie Depledge. so Im assuming they were all part of the same extended family. My nannan was born about 4 yrs later and her name was Mary Depledge.

I went to Heeley Bank with your brother "Quack Staley" along with Ted Ellis, "Husky Fox" and a few more.

We used to go to your house at lunchtime on a hot day, and drink gallons of water. Also remember you had one of the first TV sets, and we'd watch the cricket Test Matches. Always went back late for school.

hiya the name husky fox. it wasn't barry by any chance as i worked with him in the late 50s on the corp he was an apprentice brickie with david shaw who died later in the plane that caught fire on the tarmac at manchester airport,also barry wild.

ps husky always spoke of a mate of his, the name just came to me while reading these pages again ,the name was mickey klein (sp),he was always on about the lion ,and the singer claude powell, the last time we met was around new year 1961/2 he tried to sell me a ford v8 pilot car for 50 pounds,

Edited by willybite

hiya the name husky fox. it wasn't barry by any chance as i worked with him in the late 50s on the corp he was an apprentice brickie with david shaw who died later in the plane that caught fire on the tarmac at manchester airport,also barry wild.

Yep, same lad. Barry Fox from Heeley Bank, along with John (Cromwell) Oldfield, Keith (Keg) Turner, Dougie Wilkinson, Ted Ellis, and Jack (Quack) Staley.

Sorry to hear about David Shaw, he went to Annes Rd, along with Tony Shaw (no relation) Peter Chapman, Keith Mitchell, David Pecket, Allan Platts, Barry Burniston.

A funny thing, my best pal growing up in Heeley was John Baker, a year or two older than me, and I can't ever remember him going to school.

Hope the names ring a bell.

Lots and lots of chlorine! I was something of a diver, loved that high board, till it wasn't high enough and dive off the viewing gallery, one slip would have been instant death!! I'd be in all Saturday morning from breakfast to dinnertime, crowd into those warm fiootbaths to get warm and get into competition for who could create the noisiest smelliest bubbles by flatulence, winner cleared the bath. Great days indeed do. Do the baths still exist?

Remember those footbaths all too well and the time i allmost came unstuck diving from that balcony. I lived at lowedges yet still managed to get there even though i was only 9years old (1964), would be a few of us that used to walk it or if parents felt flush, was the bus, indeed great days

Check Heeley Past and Present via facebook.....

Tried but can't get in

What if you don't do Facebook?

Sorry it has to be via Facebook as it's Facebook group...