Heeley Memories

I lived on Sturge St but dont recognise the name, we lived at 137 second from the top.

Hi all Heelyites

Does anybody remember the Plumtree family who lived on Molloy Street and Molloy Place. Fred was the coal merchant and he was my Uncle. Jack,Roy, and Kathryn were my cousins.

Cheers

Rockhopper:

I remember tha family, I went out with the daughter for a while but I thought the son was called Ray, bloody good footballer.

Remember when it was cold and you could get a cup of bovril at the baths or as the attendant used to call it Bovwil.

I remember touch burners, they were trays made from clay and we used to let them harden and then burn grass in them, the innocence of childhood!

I always wondered what the building that backed onto the docker was, I can remember it had wire guards on all the windows but I cant remember ever seeing a sign outside.

The building was a jam factory just after the war.

We kids used to collect jam jars and sell them there for pennies.

After that it was used as a factory or wharehouse for Mansion Polish.

All those names you mentioned, I think Quack Staley is my older brother Jack, the others were his mates.

I went to Heeley Bank with your brother "Quack Staley" along with Ted Ellis, "Husky Fox" and a few more.

We used to go to your house at lunchtime on a hot day, and drink gallons of water. Also remember you had one of the first TV sets, and we'd watch the cricket Test Matches. Always went back late for school.

Remember when it was cold and you could get a cup of bovril at the baths or as the attendant used to call it Bovwil.

Remember when you had to walk past that breadcake shop on Gleadless Rd near Taggys on the way from the baths back to school?

We were always starving and couldn't resist that smell!

I remember touch burners, they were trays made from clay and we used to let them harden and then burn grass in them, the innocence of childhood!

(From an earlier post)

We made them often. We used to run around with them trailing smoke, and we used them as handwarmers.

Recepie:

Good "Docker" clay.

Bake in oven overnight, (with your conkers)

Tightly packed woolen scraps (gave off most smoke)

Don't drop it.

Small world. The Newspaper shop Staleys share ancestors with my husband.

Staley's shop front was the meeting place for us as a "courting couple" back in the early 1960's though I can't recall ever buying anything from there.

Next door to Staley's was a launderette.

I went to Heeley Bank with your brother "Quack Staley" along with Ted Ellis, "Husky Fox" and a few more.

We used to go to your house at lunchtime on a hot day, and drink gallons of water. Also remember you had one of the first TV sets, and we'd watch the cricket Test Matches. Always went back late for school.

Do you mind if I ask your name, my brother now lives in Birmingham and has done so for 35 years, he is not computer literate!! but I have told him of this website and we have re-lived memories and laughs from the past.

I remember all of those names, we all went to heeley bank school, Richard Atkinson and Mick Cunningham lived very close together and Micks dad was the double of the @film star' Ronald Shiner, now theres a name from the past!!

Mick Harrity and I were best mates, he was captain of Sheffield boys football team, he lived next door to the Russells on Sturge St.