Heeley Memories

is this the same Tony Siddall that had a girlfriend in heeley around 1973/74 ?

Hi DUFFEMS,

I believe you said that you lived on upper valley road, and went to carfield school. I lived on rushdale and went to carfield from 1949 to1964.

Where abouts on upper did you live , anywhere near duckers, or memmots.

Might know you.Anyone else on here from MEERSBROOK.

DAVIDED

Hi,

Sorry we've only just noticed this post from way back. we've had internet problems and have just started with a new e-mail provider.

I lived at 130,Upper Valley Road opposite the Duckers (Alan & Barry), Barry was much older than me and Alan was a mate of my brother who was born in 1947, I was born in 1948.

My husband lived at 47,Upper Valley Road, his grandparents' house until he moved onto Albert Road in about 1959/60.

We both went to Carfield Junior & Secondary Schools and then I went Brincliffe Grammar and my husband went on to Newfield Secondary.

Neil Memmott was at Carfield with us.

Do you recall any other names from school as many of the names I've seen on this site don't ring any bells probably because we were more Meersbrook than Heeley.

I've been doing my family history (not got very far) but, they were all from Heeley, once it's in the blood it's there forever!

Is anyone on this site related to the Goodison family from Heeley, my grandmother was born on Carfield Road and after marrying she lived on Florence Place. I'd also be interested to hear from any of her Wildgoose descendants.

Regards,

Duffems

hi dufems.

i was born at 120 rushdale road in 1944. you,ll know the story,s then. i remember malc very well, sadley he,s no longer with us. he had plenty of problems in his life. you,ll also remember robinsons the grocers and hartleys the fruit shop. harry roberts butchers as well. remember the bomb site above the butchers, i lived right opposite. we always had our bonfire on there and it was harry,s job to light it. cant remember a lot of names from school days . vic eggington, graham smith. val collis richard smith, carol harvey. christine hunter. christine was my first love.but id left school then.i used to stand at the end of our passage and watch for her coming home from school. oh happy days.i got in touch with neil on friends reunited, he was my best friend at school.nicknamed him breever, don,t know why.hope i,ve brought back a few memories for you.by for now

davided

Hi davided,

Yes, I do remember the Storey family, Sylvia is no longer with us and, as you mentioned Malcolm too but, they had a younger brother Michael who was only young when he died, such a nice family to have had so much grief.

Do you remember the Maynard family, Marion was probably about your age, she had an older sister Margaret who became a teacher, they were our neighbours. If you recall them you will remember that Marion (Maz) was rather a large person and when she got her first roller skates she had the metal wheeled ones and, as we lived next to "the passage", when she came down it sounded like an express train!

My first roller skates were bought from the cobblers on Valley Road 4/11p with rubber tyres and silent ball bearings!

The only trouble was that they extended from a size 4 shoe to a size 8 and, as I only wore a size 3 shoe the damn things used to slip off half way down Upper Valley Road, just when you'd built up enough speed they used to drop in half!

Do you remember the Memmotts on Upper Valley, Derek Memmott once went flying into the railings at the bottom of Upper Valley and Kent Road and knocked his front teeth out.

We do remember Robbo's shop and Shaws greengrocers, their lad was in our class but, I can't remember his name. I remember Stuart Shaw who lived on Argyle Road, he used to bully me but, one day he thumped me really hard and a lad in our class sorted him out and that very same lad became my husband, been together now for 37 years.

The strict ruling at Carfield with Pop Edlington as head was commonplace in schools then but, I was petrified of walking past him. Mr.Roache was positively evil, he never taught me but, when he was on yard duty he used to have a go at me just because he didn't like my older brother!

I'll not hog the forum with further recollections but, if you think of any more please reply, and any other ex Carfield pupils, where are you?

Duffems.

Hi Davided, well typical of me I missed the reunion that I'd helped organise so as soon as someone tells me how it went I'll let you know,that is presuming they are by now sober, I'd organised it on my birthday but I was sunning myself in Tenerife at the time, I'm sure everyone will have enjoyed themselves, but why didn't you go? You would have enjoyed it, Banksia's husband Terry is a really great bloke for an Aussie, but there would have been other Heeleyites there,let me know if you hear anytrhing before I do.

hi applegrim.

i couldnt find out where the reunion was being held. i did send a post to you asking where it was and offered my services to sing, for free of course.it would have been nice to remenisce about the old days and possibly meet old friends, maybe next time.just had a chat with duffems, dont know if she went, ill find out next time.

by for now

davided

hi again duffems.

yes i think i can remember maz did she wear glasses. if so shes the one who got me my first date with christine hunter they were in the same class. did you go to the reunion that applegrim organised only she missed it. she went on holiday and is trying to find out how it went. i used to like mr edlingtons shoes they shone enough to see you face in.

Hi davided,

Maz did wear glasses, she was a nice lass. Val Collis was my husband's cousin, she married Mick Birtles apparently, though I don't know either of them.

We weren't aware of the reunion as we've not looked on the forum for some time so I cannot tell you how it went.

Did you have a younger brother and, if so what was his name please as my husband thinks he was in our class.

True what you say about Mr.Edlington's shoes, they were ox-blood brown and bulled up like a sargeant major's, he used to carry his cane like a sargeant major too! He used to watch us all pile in each morning like an animal watching his prey.

Do you remember Mr.Cartwright the maths teacher, he was our form teacher as was Mr. Vickers (Dobbin) the geography teacher. Do you remember when Dobbin lost his pen knife in Meersbrook Park, he accused everyone of nicking it and wanted to punish us all, he was crackers! Every day it was the same thing, "has anyone seen my pen knife, you can come to see me to tell me who's taken it and you won't be punished" ( not much)!

Oh, the memories keep coming back.

Regards,

Duffems

hi duff,s.

im getting familiar now. yes i do have a younger brother called steven and he did go to newfield but i doubt him being in your class.i think i know who you are if im right. did your father have anything to do with music,ie concert sec to one of the clubs.if so i have sang in your front room. tell you more if im right.

by for now..davided

yes the roundhouse pub it was and still is called the victoria hotel and yes it was just across the road on the other corner the shop we used to call two steps yes it was tom and mabels shop and the one in charge there was mabel poor tom did get shouted at by mabel and he daren't answer back either

Hi, we used to live next door to tom and mabel, i was only little though so i dont really remember them but my mum has told a few stories about them

Hi davided,

Think you have the wrong person. Loretta Collis' father (I think) used to be the concert secretary at Woodseats W.M.C., I believe she would be your age.

They lived on Valley Road close to the Co-Op on the corner, I think they lived in the house next door to the Co-Op.

My husband's father was a driving instructor, he sadly died in 1976 aged 52.

Sorry that you didn't sing in our front room!

Regards,

Duffems.

hi duffems.

did you wear glasses when you were young and are you small,

unless my memorie is playing me tricks and thats likely i remember singing in someones front room to a record player i think the song was pocket full of rainbows by elvis. i remember it was somewhere near maz,s. i appologise if i am wrong. the only collis i knew was val. still i am getting old now. if it wasnt for the dog knowing his way home when i take him for a walk i,d probably get lost.

davided