Heeley Memories

Yikes Tosh ! It's a small world. I lived at 19 Forster Rd until about 1953/54. My best friend, Barry Waterhouse lived at number 21. He was killed shortly after that, on Shoreham Street when his bicycle tires got caught in the tram tracks and he was thrown off in front of a car. When I lived there the Parkinsons lived at number 17, we were at 19, the Waterhouses at 21 and my grandad lived at 23 until he died round about 1950 and the Cantrells moved in. Another friend of mine called Pete Mitchell lived across the street next door to Dysons corner shop (other corner from Amy Morton's)

My Dad lived at the back of 156 Gleadless Road, Barry waterhouse was a good friend of his! He's not in to all this computer lark so he has asked me to post on his behalf. Chuffinel he remembers you too. My pa also attended Anns Road early 50's (me too late 80's early 90's). He will raise a glass in the shaky best wishes to all :)

My Dad lived at the back of 156 Gleadless Road, Barry waterhouse was a good friend of his! He's not in to all this computer lark so he has asked me to post on his behalf. Chuffinel he remembers you too. My pa also attended Anns Road early 50's (me too late 80's early 90's). He will raise a glass in the shaky best wishes to all :)

We keep saying it's a small world and this proves it again.

I can't remember the numbers on Gleadless Rd at all.

What was at the front ? Gowers ?

Anyway it's good to hear from you.

We ex-Heeleyites keep turning up like the proverbial dog poo. :thumbsup:

P.S. Is the Shaky still standing ?

Indeed it is.

I got drunk in there for the first time aged 15

It hasnt changed much either in the 18 years since

Hi Banksia, Was at Carfield from 1949 (5yr old) to leaving in 1959. We had a spell of being at Annes Rd. as an annexe for a couple of years. At 12 or 13 fell in love with a girl from Annes Rd School, Name of Cynthia Flint. She had a plait of hair all the way down her back. Will never forget her. Remember too much of my youth to keep going, I will stop now before it's too late. Ken.

I know most people on here remembers Gleadless Road, but do you remember the Turton Family,they lived in the little cottages opposite Heeley church, Mary Turton was probably the most famous "Buffer girl" Sheffield ever had, she was a wonderful lady and she raised a big family in that little cottage,and she was so proud of her children, I have met a few of the children since and all of them are a credit to her,now if anyone on here remembers who I'm talking about, next time you see "Deal or no Deal" I'm sure you'll see Christine see if you remember her.

I know most people on here remembers Gleadless Road, but do you remember the Turton Family,they lived in the little cottages opposite Heeley church, Mary Turton was probably the most famous "Buffer girl" Sheffield ever had, she was a wonderful lady and she raised a big family in that little cottage,and she was so proud of her children, I have met a few of the children since and all of them are a credit to her,now if anyone on here remembers who I'm talking about, next time you see "Deal or no Deal" I'm sure you'll see Christine see if you remember her.

I remember the Turtons. Used to knock about now and then with Freddy although he wasn't a close friend.

I remember we had a pet rabbit that my Dad finally killed but none of us fancied eating a pet so I believe he gave it to the Turtons.

Wasn't Mrs Turton a widow ?

Hi there Chuffinel, hope you are OK over there, back to your question, I was going to end my last post by saying that I cannot remember ever seeing Mr Turton, and I'd been to there house enough times, I remember Freddie I think he was the oldest? there was Brenda, Christine then a younger one that took care of my mum when she was in a home who married Tony Hardwick, then another son much younger who's name I cannot think of, their house was so tiny, ours was a two up two down which was also very small (Zinc bath behind toilet door) across the yard, but yet there's seemed so much smaller, but Mary's heart was big enough to fill that house.

Did you know that in Sheffield now we have what is called the Winter Gardens which is similar in style to the building in Toronto that houses the Hockey Hall of Fame, and in the Winter Gardens there is many things that is associated with Sheffield including "A Buffer Girls Story" and the buffer girl in question was Mrs Turton and there is a recording of her voice explaining what it was like to be a buffer girl, and I'm sure when Sheffield hosted The world student games, Mrs Turton was on hand giving advice as the opening of the games

was started with the clanging of the forge as the blanks were stamped out.

Anyhow I'm almost sure it's Christine on Deal or no Deal, I hope she does the

£250,000.

Take care Chuffinel give my love to Brandygirl.

Kenfozzy,I remember Cynthia Flint, we all knocked about togather at Carfield, and she worked at the Co-op at Heeley Green,I think she lived on Spencer Road when we were at school.

Two Christmas's ago I organized a reunion for Banksia as she was coming back to Sheffield, now Cynthia didn't come, but there's another reunion coming up one June 14th (if you want to come let me know) or anyone else that would like to come, and this time she might come you never know!

I didn't live in Heeley,I lived in Abbeydale but used to go down Broadfield Road to Heeley Baths where I seemed to spend half my days. Then to the Heeley Coli or palace if I had a tanner in my pocket. There was a billiard hall at the end of the road, where we'd gamble for the price of the table, and later when I was in the Navy go to the working men's club in uniform cos folks would always buy a poor sailor a pint!

i lived in abbeydale.ryadal rd infact.i also spent most of my time at broafeild rd baths and heeley coll.also the teen bar.can you remember the name of the door man at the heeley coll?.also my mum was the manager at the heeley palace.good old days

His name was Leo.

Cynthia, Canada.

thanks love.he chucked us out a few times.i remember going to see rock around the clock.everbody dancing in the ilse.my mum worked at the heeley palace in the koisk selling fags and ice cream,me and my brother used to get free tickets.my partner rita sykes nee joel lived on walden rd she remembers going shoping at heeley with her mum

bryan sheffield.

Yes I remember all of them,although I know Trevor Bingham was younger than me, did you know the Wards, or the Marshalls?

i think i know the Marshalls ....arnold , arthur , tom , cilla , vina, libby , etc???