Heeley Memories

I remember lynne shaw. I went to Annes road in the mid 50s to early 60s then to newfield school,lynne was in my class!Ilived on gregory road for 24 years ,any one from that area.Oh happy days!I am not living in Sheffield anymore ,but not so far away.Does anyone have any pictures of the street,I can only find one on the net.The area looks so small now for all the houses that were pulled down.I have lots of happy memories of places ,and people.The weekly trek with the school(Annes rd) on Friday afternoons to the park at meersbrooke,down the 49 steps!The whit sunday marches from oak street sunday school.Does anyone remember the after school club at St andrews church ?I think this was in the early 60s.

I remember Heeley very well, used to live on Derby Street, top of Penns Road from 1967 to 1970. Went to Heeley Bank Junior School. My nan lived on the maisonettes on Abney Drive, near the Upper Heeley Club. The picture palace was a bingo when I remember it, there used to be a herbalist shop on Heeley Green where my grandad would take me for a glass of sasparella.

The grocer on Heeley Green had a a black poodle as did my grandad. He asked the owner of the shop if the 2 dogs could mate and the shop owner said no. So one day when my grandad was out walking the dog, he saw the shop owners dog in the back yard alone. Yes, my grandad without the dog owners consent pushed our poodle in the yard and low and behold 6 pups were born. The shop owner never did find out.

AAh, Taggy's icecream.

The only ice cream my late mother used to eat. she would not entertain any other companies' product.

yellow, creamy and firm, not that whipped rubbish, fabulous!

PT

I remember Taggys ice cream for the little lumps of ice in it. I could see Taggys yard from where we lived, think its been demolished now.

Can you remember Elliots chippie, there was alway a queue stretching outside the shop on Saturdays. They were the best chips in Sheffield.

I went to anns road school from 1961 to 1967 I lived on foster road,taggy's ice cream the best ice cream in the world,I was in hospital from 23rd jan to 12th dec 1967,spent 6 months at whiteley woods special school ,then I was at newfield until 1971.does anyone remember Staley's paper shop & the washerette & the hairdressers & amy morton's on foster road.my old mates were Len Yates,Shaun Shackleton,Phil Buckley,Terry Hall.Andy (Butch)Bullen.All the best to anyone who remembers me ???

Originally posted by HeeleyBloke

Ah,old Heeley,Anns Road school,The Field just off Gleadless Road,The Garages further up,The Docker off Carfield Road,Drink shop on Heeley Green,Cuckoo pub up from the Upper Heeley club.

I remember Tony Thorold from Newfield,and his famous "Don`t wear a green cloke with me lad," quote.

I`ll remember more when I`m sober.

:roll:

hi heelybloke I lived on Foster Road for 20 years do I know you

Originally posted by tosh13

I went to anns road school from 1961 to 1967 I lived on foster road,taggy's ice cream the best ice cream in the world,I was in hospital from 23rd jan to 12th dec 1967,spent 6 months at whiteley woods special school ,then I was at newfield until 1971.does anyone remember Steeley's paper shop & the washerette & the hairdressers & amy morton's on foster road.my old mates were Len Yates,Shaun Shackleton,Phil Buckley,Terry Hall.Andy (Butch)Bullen.All the best to anyone who remembers me ???

Pardon me correcting you but it was Staley's newpapers. I had an account with them for years when I lived on Gleadless Road.

I certainly remember Amy Mortons shop. We would take in the soap power coupons and trade them for lemon fizz or some such like. A girl I went to school with called Susan Marshall lived in what used to be a shop opposite the school. It was on the corner of Gleadless and another street, the name of which I cannot recall, the large windows were all blacked out with paint, ring any bells ?

Originally posted by Banksia

Pardon me correcting you but it was Staley's newpapers. I had an account with them for years when I lived on Gleadless Road.

I certainly remember Amy Mortons shop. We would take in the soap power coupons and trade them for lemon fizz or some such like. A girl I went to school with called Susan Marshall lived in what used to be a shop opposite the school. It was on the corner of Gleadless and another street, the name of which I cannot recall, the large windows were all blacked out with paint, ring any bells ?

Hi apologies you are right it was Staley's but it was a long time ago mate,I lived bang across road from Amy Morton's Shop,was the shop near the Shaky,the road where anns road school is or was called Hartley Street.

Hi apologies you are right it was Staley's but it was a long time ago mate,I lived bang across road from Amy Morton's Shop,was the shop near the Shaky,the road where anns road school is or was called Hartley Street,my brother lived on there for a few years,my eldest brother was called John Siddall

The old shop I mentioned was on the same side as the Shaky but further up. There was Staley's and below that a few more shops, one was a butchers and a fruit shop I think, and then this side little street ran off to the left. I think there was a joinery business on there. The house/shop was on that corner.

Hi apologies you are right it was Staley's but it was a long time ago mate,I lived bang across road from Amy Morton's Shop,was the shop near the Shaky,the road where anns road school is or was called Hartley Street,my brother lived on there for a few years,my eldest brother was called John Siddall

Sorry, forgot to ask how old your eldest brother is as his name rings a bell I think.

Originally posted by Banksia

Sorry, forgot to ask how old your eldest brother is as his name rings a bell I think.

my brother John would have been mid 50s he died in 1992 Cancer aged 45,the fruit shop you mentioned I used to work for the guy going around estates selling fruit,there was a foundry at the side of the shakey & across was the boilermakers pub,on the side street which you are talking about I vaguely remember some small shops.

tosh,do you know michael siddalL?I remember him from about 1956-1963 roughly we use to hang about with other kids,he was a very kind kid.I think you are younger than me though!The Bells had a shop on the corner of annes road near st. peters church Denise and David Bell where the kids I remember,also Eades they lived in the last yard on Forster road,the shop on the corner was a fruit shop owned by Dawson Heaths mum and dad.I remember Amy Morton,I mentioned this in a previous thread,I lived up Gregory road.It is a shame its all gone,it was a good freindly area.If you want more info on the area get in touch through this site and I wll reply,Kath