Heeley Memories

3 minutes ago, me-and-pippo said:

Walter Bubien, boot maker, 29 Cross Myrtle Road, (1957 directory).

Thanks very much for that

Hi,my name is Michael (mick) mills ,we lived at 89 Kent road heeley ,I went to Ann's road school in 1948 then to carfield school until 1955, I left Sheffield with familey in about 1962 and came to Leeds.

On 12 August 2004 at 01:23, chuffinel said:

Yikes Tosh ! It's a small world. I lived at 19 Forster Rd until about 1953/54. My best friend, Barry Waterhouse lived at number 21. He was killed shortly after that, on Shoreham Street when his bicycle tires got caught in the tram tracks and he was thrown off in front of a car. When I lived there the Parkinsons lived at number 17, we were at 19, the Waterhouses at 21 and my grandad lived at 23 until he died round about 1950 and the Cantrells moved in. Another friend of mine called Pete Mitchell lived across the street next door to Dysons corner shop (other corner from Amy Morton's)

Hi, I new Barry Waterhouse, we were in the same class at  carfield school,a smashing guy, I often think about him after all these years. RIP.

Hi out there I'm rather new to this tech so apologies. I used to live in Heeley,Sheffield and was privileged to spend my youth at Ann's road school from around 63/64 , with a brief  break until I left in 69/70 to attend fpgs. I do remember certain pupils and I don't have any alternative but to use their real names as I remember them so please excuse any offense this may cause and simply don't reply. Victoria Hewitt,Lynn senior,Christopher Carter, Lee Bentley, Michelle ?  who lived on Richards road  or any one who remembers me. I do remember lots of other faces but can't  give them names My name is Keith Hewitt and lived in Boyton street. Many thanks and love. A

Hi again another name just appeared in my head, Martin Bird, who also lived in Boyton st. but past the little left which took you up to the scrap  ( wrag and bone ) yard , in the three storey houses.

My grandparents used to own the shop right at the top of Boyton St. Dyson's. This would be going back to the early 1950's.

I was born in Gleadless Rd opposite the Daisy field in 1947. We lived their until moving on to the Gleadless Valley Estate in191958. Friends names I remember who lived close by in Gleadless Road were, Tony & Anne Fielding, Rod Jackson, Guy Morton. Malcolm Sargent, Edward Moseley, Roger Abraham’s and Terry Woodward. Our next door neighbours were Mary and  George Walker who later moved and ran the fish and chip shop at the corner of Northcote Avenue.

On 13/04/2020 at 21:15, bubosurfbum said:

Hi again another name just appeared in my head, Martin Bird, who also lived in Boyton st. but past the little left which took you up to the scrap  ( wrag and bone ) yard , in the three storey houses.

Hi Keith.

I think I remember you from down Boynton St although we didn't play very often but we used to talk in the street. I lived on Wilson Place but got to the house through the entrance on the corner of both streets where the lamp post was.I think you are probably slightly older than me and you used to think my name was Bird, unless there is another Martin up wilson place I didn't know about so I'm pretty sure it's me.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2003 at 07:01, Banksia said:

Is there anyone out there who attended Anns Road school between 1951 and 1955 and Carfield School between 1955 and 1959. I am visiting from Australia in July and would love to catch up with old school friends. Yes I have registered with "Friendsreunited" but only a couple of people I know have also registered. I was born and lived in Heeley until 1972.

I went to carfield school 1957 - 1961 remember Mr Philips He was the Science master as well as running the Camera club Mr Edlington was the Headmaster I played in the netball team and the rounders Team my best mate was Sandra Gregory she lived on Richards road  We went to Annes Road school in the 4th Year and I broke my arm at the youthclub that we had on Tuesday nights I was appointed the Angel gabrial in the Christmas Play so I had a pot on under my costume my name is June Oldfield  

On 05/05/2020 at 17:40, carbrook lad said:

I went to carfield school 1957 - 1961 remember Mr Philips He was the Science master as well as running the Camera club Mr Edlington was the Headmaster I played in the netball team and the rounders Team my best mate was Sandra Gregory she lived on Richards road  We went to Annes Road school in the 4th Year and I broke my arm at the youthclub that we had on Tuesday nights I was appointed the Angel gabrial in the Christmas Play so I had a pot on under my costume my name is June Oldfield  

Does anyone remember Edna Warrington, lived on Slate Street?

On 30/04/2020 at 17:10, TezzaG said:

I was born in Gleadless Rd opposite the Daisy field in 1947. We lived their until moving on to the Gleadless Valley Estate in191958. Friends names I remember who lived close by in Gleadless Road were, Tony & Anne Fielding, Rod Jackson, Guy Morton. Malcolm Sargent, Edward Moseley, Roger Abraham’s and Terry Woodward. Our next door neighbours were Mary and  George Walker who later moved and ran the fish and chip shop at the corner of Northcote Avenue.

Guy Morton is my brother in  law 

On 13/08/2019 at 01:06, echo beach said:

Boy,  AJS your post has brought back some fond memories for me.

I was a Heeley child, but only for a few years.

Born in Beauchief  as the guns of WWII were being silenced but moved to Midhill Road shortly afterwards to be closer to both sets of grandparents. Went to Denby Street nursery, in the shadow of BDTBL and then to Heeley Bank school, infants 1950 -52, before my family moved further out to Gleadless.

Recall playing in 'Horses' field and being severely reprimanded by my mum for wandering up there without telling her! Crashed my 3 wheeler bike into the wall outside the Coop when I didn't brake in time. The convent was always something of a mysterious place.

I remember some of the shops on Ann's Road and especially the newsagents and greengrocers, the latter always had a coconut hung up which looked like a shrunken head to an impressionable youngster.

I was also fascinated by the chip machine in the fish and chip shop at the bottom of the hill by Havelock Bridge. Whole spuds in and chips came flying out into a bucket. And talking of foodie delights there was Taggies; once tasted, never forgotten and forever hooked.

Like most kids I spent many a happy hour in the local pictures; the Heeley Green, Coliseum and Palace. Even after we'd left Heeley, with family close by, I still visited many of the old places.

They were simple and yet happy times. Looked back on with fondness.

echo.

The flying chips was Rawsons  Chip Shop