Heeley Memories

Hi Hitone1 There was only 1 Siddall family who lived on Forster Road & that was us at 21,I do not recall any other family members living near us apart from from Jean & Alec Hall who owned the chippy next door to the barbers up gleadless road.The Thackerys lived at the back of Gowers.

@ Tosh13 Ok my Mum says was it the Starkey's that lived there?

Also a BIG hi from my brother Keith, he's over here from the states at the moment. Says do you remember 'Nicking' pigeon eggs with him & also collecting rags and bottles which you sold at the scrap place at Heeley Green......

Further thoughts courtesy of my Dad recovering in hospital at the mo - this thread gave us a few things to chat about.

Boynton Street was still cobbled in the 50's. Recall collecting tar on a hot summers day....

The scrap dealer on Wilson Place was called Pearsons Yard & he had the old horse & cart ala Steptoe.

The other shop on the opposite corner from Amy Mortons was called Middletons.

Strange that lots of mentions of the shops, but no one recalled the bakers where I grew up.

Gower & Burgins with a huge bacon slicer.

I remember all the shops well with found memories especially Amy Mortons (remember the fireworks & bangers she sold & kept in sweet jars every year)

Staley's - where I spent all my pocket money on Superman & Batman comics (Wish I had saved them)

:hihi:

Further thoughts courtesy of my Dad recovering in hospital at the mo - this thread gave us a few things to chat about.

Boynton Street was still cobbled in the 50's. Recall collecting tar on a hot summers day....

:hihi:

We were only talking about this today, we used to wrap it round and round on a stick until it was a big ball at the end, then use them like maces against each other. :D

Mind you we never had many toys in those days :hihi:

Boynton Street, Mrs Scales and Kenneth in the chip ole, a threpny and a fourpny please, with scraps.

And a bottle of Jusoda, and (if you were lucky), a Mars Bar from Mrs Newcombes,(Tommy the milkmans mother).

She used to have draught beer on and lots of the older ladies used to take jugs and bottles to be filled there, to relax after their daily work, no mod cons in the fifties!

Ben Woods on Artisan View, sold vinegar from barrels, single razor blades, single fags with one match. If any one bought a full five 'parkdrive' it made his day! I think he used to live with his mother, who you rarely saw.

Happy days they were, :D but I dont think our parents would have the same memories with all the scrimping and saving they had to do!!

@ Tosh13 Ok my Mum says was it the Starkey's that lived there?

Also a BIG hi from my brother Keith, he's over here from the states at the moment. Says do you remember 'Nicking' pigeon eggs with him & also collecting rags and bottles which you sold at the scrap place at Heeley Green......

Yeah I remember,tell Keith Hi & hope you are all ok,had a 50th suprise birthday last night & I was talking to my sister Jayne about Heeley ,it was the good old day's.Cheers Tosh

Hi all you Heeley people

I lived at Heeley until around 1962. Can anyone remember the Church on Chesterfield Road opposite the coal yard and Greshams timber Yard.

I used to be in the Cubs/Scouts there, we new as the old tin chapple.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who was in the scouts around 1959 to 1960, if I have my dates correct..........

Hi all you Heeley people

I lived at Heeley until around 1962. Can anyone remember the Church on Chesterfield Road opposite the coal yard and Greshams timber Yard.

I used to be in the Cubs/Scouts there, we new as the old tin chapple.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who was in the scouts around 1959 to 1960, if I have my dates correct..........

i think the church you mean and greshams timber are both still there , i also lived at heeley until about 1962 as well , i went to the scouts but only a few times about the same time.

I was friendly with a lad called Gary Bush who lived next door to the Godbehers in Forster Road, but over the wall in the big yard off the top of Boyton Street. There was another lad called Paul Carrington lived in the yard and whenever we were playing both the Godbehers would come out and create hell. What really wound them up was if any of us sat on the wall.... ah, happy days!!

I BET YOU SAT ON THAT WALL A LOT !!!:loopy:

I BET YOU SAT ON THAT WALL A LOT !!!:loopy:

How did you guess!! :D

Hi Tosh, been a while since i have looked on the site and was pleased to see the thread still going, goes to show that a lot of memories get created even in a small area like heeley. Thanks for mentioning mum and dad in a couple of your posts. So you are 50 now, congratulations, I am 46 on Saturday and it coincides witha rock n roll night at a local club in Donny so we are going there for a couple of drinks, might not see a lot of Sunday!!

Saw that you had a message from CTR960 about Andy Beck, do you know who CTR960 is? I remember a Chtirstopher Reeney and found out later tyhat he went to Wales as a minister, could be him i suppose although CTR960 sounds like abbreviation for a consultation report by the Gov'.

It is interesting how this thread has developed, all the old favourites are there like taggys etc,.

I recall dad saying he was related to Pearsons the rag and bone man and he used to take us on his horse, dad always said he was richer than he looked.

Can you remember what the grocers shop was called opposite the Tudor Bingo hall? thier son, Billy i think ( could have been a nick name billy the butcher) had the corner shop oposite the waggon and horses as a butchers then there was the small sweet shop and then the grocers which i thought that was Gowers? Can see most of the images in my head but not the names of roads.

Hope you are ok and have recovered from your 50th. regards Graham

Hello CTR,

No I went to Ashleigh, due to the number of fights between us and them but I have been in touch with Andy since and he lives at Conisborough and i live about two miles away from him in Doncaster. I got in touch with him through his sister Gillian and have found out Andy does not have computer access so it's good old fashioned wireless letters if you want to get in touch with him.

He seems well we were going to meet up but I was ill and could not and we have not arranged anything since then.

By the way what does CRT960 stand for??

If you know andy did you go to annes road school? I was a quiet little bnoy then and preferred the background. Although I can remember qite a few kids when i put my mind to it.

regards

what does CRT960 stand for??

If you know andy did you go to annes road school? I was a quiet little bnoy then and preferred the background. Although I can remember qite a few kids when i put my mind to it.

Hi Adviser,

Yes, I did go to Anne's Road 1967-71. I've also sent you a private message revealing all!!

Hi Tosh, been a while since i have looked on the site and was pleased to see the thread still going, goes to show that a lot of memories get created even in a small area like heeley. Thanks for mentioning mum and dad in a couple of your posts. So you are 50 now, congratulations, I am 46 on Saturday and it coincides witha rock n roll night at a local club in Donny so we are going there for a couple of drinks, might not see a lot of Sunday!!

Saw that you had a message from CTR960 about Andy Beck, do you know who CTR960 is? I remember a Chtirstopher Reeney and found out later tyhat he went to Wales as a minister, could be him i suppose although CTR960 sounds like abbreviation for a consultation report by the Gov'.

It is interesting how this thread has developed, all the old favourites are there like taggys etc,.

I recall dad saying he was related to Pearsons the rag and bone man and he used to take us on his horse, dad always said he was richer than he looked.

Can you remember what the grocers shop was called opposite the Tudor Bingo hall? thier son, Billy i think ( could have been a nick name billy the butcher) had the corner shop oposite the waggon and horses as a butchers then there was the small sweet shop and then the grocers which i thought that was Gowers? Can see most of the images in my head but not the names of roads.

Hope you are ok and have recovered from your 50th. regards Graham

Gowers was on the corner of Forster road & Gleadless,just opposite of the church & cheers for the 50th message,my wife & son arranged a suprise party & all my family were there,it was a great night.