Heeley Memories

Joining the Facebook group Heeley Past and Present might be fruitful. I have seen at least one picture on there of a cottage that used to stand opposite the church, A stone fronted one that stood parallel to the road.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Lived in Moffatt Road from 1958 to 1978 and my parents lived there until 1991. Before that lived in a prefab on Warburton Gardens. I know we all look at the past with rose tinted specs but I can honestly say they were great times to be a kid. You were never frightened, you could play on the street or go to the woods, stay out all day as long as you were back for tea. Two channels on the TV, no mobile phones, no facebook or twitter, no computers. Just bat and ball, basic toys, books and your own imagination.

Went through the area the other day and a lot has changed but there are still some places that bring back memories - Heeley bank School, Midhill Road (remember the Co-Op?), City Surveyors, Ball Inn etc. Got me thinking of places no longer there. Horses Field (Black Banks), Taggy's, Wilkinsons Builders yard, Little Sisters of the Poor convent, shops opposite Heeley Church.

Does anyone remember the shops on Anns Road? I can remember Marsdens on the corner of Myrtle Road (there was a telephone box there too where people queued to make calls), Betty's was on the opposite corner. Then moving along the was a Bakery, a Butchers (can't remember the name), Beats greengrocers and Woolhouses newsagent all on the corner with Alexander Road. There were others too at the corner with Richards Road and an Off Licence at he corner of Spencer Road. I'm pretty sure there was a barbers somewhere as well.

I also remember - or at least I think I do - that there used to be a house at the bottom of Myrtle Road/Prospect Road by the side of the rail tracks almost under Havelock Bridge. Can anyone confirm?

Can't remember the name of the ' offy' at the minute , it'll come to me ? Joe's barbers was diagonally opposite and mitchells chippy a few doors down Spencer Rd.  Drakes was the Off Licence !!

20 hours ago, kevvy said:

Can't remember the name of the ' offy' at the minute , it'll come to me ? Joe's barbers was diagonally opposite and mitchells chippy a few doors down Spencer Rd.  Drakes was the Off Licence !!

Joe Schofield was the barber, his son was Neil in our class at Carfield. Drakes had 2 daughters both at Carfield, one was head girl ( we think).  Mitchell's chippie was opposite the bus stop going down to town ( 33 & 34), their kids were also in Carfield. There was a  kid with the surname Garrity who went to Newfield,  his mother worked in Mitchell's chippie, we usually got extra portions. The greengrocers on Richards Road next to the bus stop going up was called Thorntons.. The other greengrocer on the corner of Alexandra Road and Anns Road was Beets.

There was a hairdresser on Richards Road called Rene Mead, one of her stylists Janet Kitson (married to Terry Kitson's brother) took over the shop in the 60's. She had a stylist called Veronica Blythe who later bought the salon towards  Bramhall Lane just over Havelock Bridge, it was called Hair Magic.

Another shop we recalled was a cobblers on the corner of Alexandra Road and Cross Myrtle Road, he was Polish ( we think) and could tackle any problem, even stilettos!

There was also a general grocers on Alexandra Road midway down called Havenhand's opposite Greatorex which had been closed for years but, still had the signage.

Forster Road had a launderette, Gowers & Burgons, Staley's newsagaents, and Kermeen's chemist who we think moved to Heeley Green near to Tingle's drapers and Joe Woolhouse. newsagent.

Frank Woolhouse (Joe's brother) had the newsagents on Anns Road which he ran with his wife Jessie. 

OK here goes, a couple of years ago we retired outside the UK to a warm place having lived in Heeley since 1950 (our family dates back to  the 1800's in Heeley). The ice cream in the supermarkets over here was the same old same old as the supermarket stuff available in the UK so we decided to buy an ice cream maker and have a go ourselves.

We started out with the basic recipe suggested in the booklet with the intentions of "adjusting" it to suit our taste, on our first attempt we tasted the outcome, and both said that magical word, "Taggy's". I've heard a few people say in the past that they have had an ice cream and said that it tastes" like" Taggy's,  This IS Taggy's. As most of you who are old enough to have tasted the magical potion the recipe was said to have gone to the grave when he died, I seem to remember someone buying the vans and equipment and had a go themselves but don't remember them reigning too long. 

You would expect that the recipe would be complicated and contain special ingredients but it is simplicity itself using simple everyday stuff. I know that people out there will be skeptical that anyone could reproduce something that has remained a secret for all these years but the truth is that I came across it by pure serendipity. With reverence to the Battle family I don't think it would be fair to pass on this "secret" that I have stumbled across, I know that  people would like to know the recipe and method and I could tell you but I'd have to .........................................

Best regards to Heeley

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:45, AJS said:

Lived in Moffatt Road from 1958 to 1978 and my parents lived there until 1991. Before that lived in a prefab on Warburton Gardens. I know we all look at the past with rose tinted specs but I can honestly say they were great times to be a kid. You were never frightened, you could play on the street or go to the woods, stay out all day as long as you were back for tea. Two channels on the TV, no mobile phones, no facebook or twitter, no computers. Just bat and ball, basic toys, books and your own imagination.

Went through the area the other day and a lot has changed but there are still some places that bring back memories - Heeley bank School, Midhill Road (remember the Co-Op?), City Surveyors, Ball Inn etc. Got me thinking of places no longer there. Horses Field (Black Banks), Taggy's, Wilkinsons Builders yard, Little Sisters of the Poor convent, shops opposite Heeley Church.

Does anyone remember the shops on Anns Road? I can remember Marsdens on the corner of Myrtle Road (there was a telephone box there too where people queued to make calls), Betty's was on the opposite corner. Then moving along the was a Bakery, a Butchers (can't remember the name), Beats greengrocers and Woolhouses newsagent all on the corner with Alexander Road. There were others too at the corner with Richards Road and an Off Licence at he corner of Spencer Road. I'm pretty sure there was a barbers somewhere as well.

I also remember - or at least I think I do - that there used to be a house at the bottom of Myrtle Road/Prospect Road by the side of the rail tracks almost under Havelock Bridge. Can anyone confirm?

Boy,  AJS your post has brought back some fond memories for me.

I was a Heeley child, but only for a few years.

Born in Beauchief  as the guns of WWII were being silenced but moved to Midhill Road shortly afterwards to be closer to both sets of grandparents. Went to Denby Street nursery, in the shadow of BDTBL and then to Heeley Bank school, infants 1950 -52, before my family moved further out to Gleadless.

Recall playing in 'Horses' field and being severely reprimanded by my mum for wandering up there without telling her! Crashed my 3 wheeler bike into the wall outside the Coop when I didn't brake in time. The convent was always something of a mysterious place.

I remember some of the shops on Ann's Road and especially the newsagents and greengrocers, the latter always had a coconut hung up which looked like a shrunken head to an impressionable youngster.

I was also fascinated by the chip machine in the fish and chip shop at the bottom of the hill by Havelock Bridge. Whole spuds in and chips came flying out into a bucket. And talking of foodie delights there was Taggies; once tasted, never forgotten and forever hooked.

Like most kids I spent many a happy hour in the local pictures; the Heeley Green, Coliseum and Palace. Even after we'd left Heeley, with family close by, I still visited many of the old places.

They were simple and yet happy times. Looked back on with fondness.

echo.

I know the lady who lived in the old dancing school at the junction of  Prospect Road and Havelock Bridge, there's a photo of it on Picture Sheffield. The ladys name is Harriet Dowson , she's also has her photo on Picture Sheffield.

Can anyone remember the name of the Polish cobbler with the shop on Cross Myrtle Road?

Maybe it's in an early 70's Kelly's directory.

It was something like Bueben but I'd like to know the exact spelling.

45 minutes ago, Person6 said:

Can anyone remember the name of the Polish cobbler with the shop on Cross Myrtle Road?

These polish people lived on Myrtle Road in 1974

At No 373 Lived Beatrice Czerwinski

At No 186 lived Eugeniusz Raczynski
At No 103  Lived and worked motor mechanic Teofil Szcupak ( I couldn’t understand a word he spoke but a decent man)
No polish sounding names on Cross Myrtle Road.

Edited by lazarus

15 hours ago, lazarus said:

These polish people lived on Myrtle Road in 1974

At No 373 Lived Beatrice Czerwinski

At No 186 lived Eugeniusz Raczynski
At No 103  Lived and worked motor mechanic Teofil Szcupak ( I couldn’t understand a word he spoke but a decent man)
No polish sounding names on Cross Myrtle Road.

Probably just rented the shop space then. I knew the other three.  Thank you for looking

On 24/02/2020 at 16:52, Person6 said:

23 hours ago, Person6 said:

Probably just rented the shop space then. I knew the other three.  Thank you for looking

Walter Bubien, boot maker, 29 Cross Myrtle Road, (1957 directory).