Heeley Memories

Thanks Wallace, but I need more basic info. I only have a hard photo and need to get it on to the computer before I can start to do that sort of stuff.

As I said in my original post, I am computer illiterate, I'll try to conscript some local help.Thanks again anyway,

4x2

Your photo will have be made digital by scanning it or even taking a photo of the photo,from there it needs to be put on a PC by the scanner or email the photo to yourself,the next bit is easy just uploading and copying the code and pasting it on here. It sounds like you may need a bit of help from someone but after you have done it once it’s there for ever.

Hi trastrick, (name rings bells) trying to copy a good enough image to send and advice on how to do it in a simple language.

Cheeers, 4x2

Hi it's not really complicated, since you are on a computer now and have email.

As the other poster says, photograph the photo with your, or a friends smartphone, and just email it to you.

I doubt we know much about each other, as I left Anns Road in 1949, then left Heeley Bank in 1954. then around the country contracting, then to Canada in 1960. We're about 10 years apart.

I'm presently between DR, and Toronto 6 months each.

Buena suerte para ti!

Thanks all, we are getting down to my level now, we are talking abc here- lower case. I'll get there in the fullness of time.

4x2

---------- Post added 31-08-2018 at 12:55 ----------

Hi trastric, I've heard of your name from my older siblings who range from 70 to 85.

Cuprimentos,

4x2

Thanks all, we are getting down to my level now, we are talking abc here- lower case. I'll get there in the fullness of time.

4x2

---------- Post added 31-08-2018 at 12:55 ----------

Hi trastric, I've heard of your name from my older siblings who range from 70 to 85.

Cuprimentos,

4x2

I'm Tony. They sometimes mix me up with my brother Roy who is 5 years younger!

Carter Place used to be crowded with poor but happy people talking to each other on the street, a noisy and busy place, open doors with vendors selling everything, coal, fish, milk and stuff.

Fast forward to a picture of the street in 1960, where it is deserted except for those TV aerials on the chimney.

But now I find the same folks and vendors and street noise in my small town in the DR, so I feel quite at home there! Even that old smell of San Izol as they swill down the steps :)

Hi Tony, by sheer coincidence one of my brothers from Blighty has just been on the phone as he's coming out to see me in a few weeks. I mentioned the forum and he tells me that, if he's got the right brother, he once mixed gobbo for you on a job on the corner of GregoryRd./Cambridge Rd. He also said that you lived on the "little hill" so you were just a few yards away from us as we were at the top of the hill on the corner with Nicholson Place, I was never quite sure how we all fitted in the 2 up 2 down no offshot kitchen and the ubiquitous o/s loo,Father was the local window cleaner.

Its a similar feeling here in Central Portugal, don't get me started on donkey stones and red Cardinal Polish!

I have a picture from a Sheffield archive (you may have seen it) of a deserted Carter Place with ariels on chimneys, deserted that is except for my mother and a neighbour walking up the hill by the railings probably just past your house!

Ate logo,

4x2

Hi Tony, by sheer coincidence one of my brothers from Blighty has just been on the phone as he's coming out to see me in a few weeks. I mentioned the forum and he tells me that, if he's got the right brother, he once mixed gobbo for you on a job on the corner of GregoryRd./Cambridge Rd. He also said that you lived on the "little hill" so you were just a few yards away from us as we were at the top of the hill on the corner with Nicholson Place, I was never quite sure how we all fitted in the 2 up 2 down no offshot kitchen and the ubiquitous o/s loo,Father was the local window cleaner.

Its a similar feeling here in Central Portugal, don't get me started on donkey stones and red Cardinal Polish!

I have a picture from a Sheffield archive (you may have seen it) of a deserted Carter Place with ariels on chimneys, deserted that is except for my mother and a neighbour walking up the hill by the railings probably just past your house!

Ate logo,

4x2

Lol, you must be a Drewy! I used to help your older brother (Brian?) with his Star route, just so he'd let me have a ride on his cool bicycle!

Lived a 28 before I was 5, then at 13 Carter Place.

Edited by trastrick

YesTony,the youngest one of many of that branch! Sadly, Brian passed away to a long battle with cancer just a few years ago.

4x2

YesTony,the youngest one of many of that branch! Sadly, Brian passed away to a long battle with cancer just a few years ago.

4x2

I get the Drews and and the Colemans mixed up because they called their kids the same name, Jackie, Billy, Brian, Maureen, etc. Which one are you?" I remember you Dad and Mom too. All good hardworking people!

Sorry to hear about Brian. Did he take over his dad's window cleaning business?

It's really rare at my age to get a hit from the old neighborhood and school, so thanks for your posts!

Edited by trastrick

Hi Tony, This may be repeated as I've just spent half an hour one finger typing and seem to have lost it into the ether so here I go again.

I didn't know the Colemans that well as they were were all older than me, I seem to remember that at one time Mr. Coleman had the only car on Carter/Nicholson Place apart from the Parkers work trucks but I may be wrong on that one.

Starting from the eldest we were, Margaret, Brian, Jack(ie), Mick, Bill (gobbo mixer) Pauline,Keith and myself Paul.

Dad kept the round going 'till he retired in the late 70's but I think most of us had a go at helping him at one time or another. We moved round to Nicholson Rd. opposite the end of Carter Rd. in the late 50's I reckon and he retired late 70's and they moved to a flat in Denmark Rd. They'd both passed away by early 2000, as he only charged about one and sixpence to two bob a house to clean the windows we didn't inherit any fortunes!

Thats me for now,

4x2

Hi Tony, This may be repeated as I've just spent half an hour one finger typing and seem to have lost it into the ether so here I go again.

I didn't know the Colemans that well as they were were all older than me, I seem to remember that at one time Mr. Coleman had the only car on Carter/Nicholson Place apart from the Parkers work trucks but I may be wrong on that one.

Starting from the eldest we were, Margaret, Brian, Jack(ie), Mick, Bill (gobbo mixer) Pauline,Keith and myself Paul.

Dad kept the round going 'till he retired in the late 70's but I think most of us had a go at helping him at one time or another. We moved round to Nicholson Rd. opposite the end of Carter Rd. in the late 50's I reckon and he retired late 70's and they moved to a flat in Denmark Rd. They'd both passed away by early 2000, as he only charged about one and sixpence to two bob a house to clean the windows we didn't inherit any fortunes!

Thats me for now,

4x2

Just one more memory, your dad provided the ladders we used to get the upstairs furniture in and out through the second floor window, because the stairs were way too narrow!

I can picture it now in my minds eye!

Cheers, Bom fim semana,

4x2

---------- Post added 04-09-2018 at 16:18 ----------

Would love to see the photo, not sure if I will be on it or if my 1st school photo was the following year. I was born at the end of August 1951 so might have missed that one.

I lived opposite the school at the bakers shop on Gleadless Road.

Hi Hitone1, I think I've cracked it with the photo! it should be at ;

https://ibb.co/cPeEcz

Even if you aren't on it you will probably know some people, let me know if do.

Thanks to all who helped with the technical advice.

4x2

---------- Post added 05-09-2018 at 13:42 ----------

I remember Michael Siddall, if my mind serves me well, he once spelt his name wrong in Mr Gouldings class and got the cane, I think for doing it, then he had his book thrown across the classroom. Tell me if it wasn't you!!!!

Hey, re- https://ibb.co/cPeEcz

I was in Micheal Siddalls class but don't recall that particular incident with Mr Goulding. I do remember the same thing happening to Tony Hardy, Goulding announced that he'd spelt it "Tany Hody", seamed funny at the time but on reflection a bit cruel

4x2

---------- Post added 05-09-2018 at 15:34 ----------

Hi, I was born in 1950 in Barton Rd, just down from Gregory Rd.

Went to Anns Rd, then Bents Green because they said I was underweight, wish I was now. Then to Newfield till 1965.

Delivered the Star for the paper shop at the bottom of Well Rd.,next to the Heeley Palace. Seem to remember there were lots of courts on Oak St,took some remembering. Then delivered meat on a Sat morning for the Co-Op at Heeley Green, did one day with the old `Butchers Bike` with the basket on the front, weighed a ton so bought a big rucksack and used my own bike.

Lived at Barton Rd till we moved to a new maisonette at Batemoor in about 1967. New houses now all round Barton Rd and Gregory Rd, seems very small now.

Hey Bigjon, I was born on Nicholson Place in late 1950, I went to Anns Rd. then Newfield 'till 1965. Delivered for the paper shop at the bottom of Well Rd. next to the Heeley Palace. Delivered groceries Sat morning for the Co-Op at Heeley Green, no bike but a sack barrow.

Are you me??

Check this out

4x2

---------- Post added 05-09-2018 at 15:45 ----------

must have been at newfield same time as you i was 1-1,2-1,3-1 could'nt stop on for o levels so finished in 4-3 .:mad:

Me too,

Check this out

Cheers

4x2

Edited by Fourbytwo
Forgot to add with all the excitement.