Heeley Memories

All my family have lived in heeley since birth...

My grandparents jack Bradbury and Janet Bradbury (Parkin)

Who had 3 daughters Julie, Lisa and Beverley .

I know my nannan lived on prospect road and had a brother called joe and my Grandad jack had brothers and sister and my great Grandad Parkin used to have a horse and cart and used to dress as the pearly king for charity.

Went to school with 'Jack'. Joe Parkin had stables on 'Wilson Place, just above the 'Shakespeare'/

Wish him a godspeed recovery from one time classmate Tony Rastrick.

Thanks for the response, it's the very first connection (albeit indirect) I have made with the kids I went to school with.

You might have known my younger brother Roy from the Arbourthorne. He had a reunion a couple years ago for his Heeley Bank pals, and our old teacher Miss Benn was a very special guest.

I remember going to your house on Sturge Street at lunchtimes, to watch the first TV I had ever seen.

Best!

Hi Tony, I haven't been on here for a while, just to let you know Jack passed away 20th February this year, he is at peace now.

Brunswick Trinity youth club, anybody remember Ruth Jarman who was the most dedicated person I can ever remember

Hi Tony, I haven't been on here for a while, just to let you know Jack passed away 20th February this year, he is at peace now.

My condolences!

Hopefully there's a big Heeley Bank School up there in the sky where we'll all meet up again.

Jack (Quack) Staley, Barry (Husky) Fox, Keith (Keg) Turner, John (Cromwell) Oldfield, Ted Ellis, and Tony (Razz) Rastrick!

Ola Heeley, Tudo Bem?

Please be gentle with me as this is my first post and I'm practically computer illiterate and not at all "techy".

I hope this thread is still active as I know its been going since 2003, I've trawled through all the post and found it very interesting and I may have a few things to add.

I was born on Nicholson Place in 1950 (just) and my family have been in Heeley

since the 1800's. I moved to Frecheville in the early 70's for 20 years then to Beauchief for another 10. I then moved up to the west coast of Scotland for 12 years, still keeping in touch with Heeley throughout. I've now retired (?) to Central Portugal where the values are similar to those of Heeley in the 50's and 60"s

I have a class photo of Anns Rd. infants school from 1956, I remember the names of all but a couple of the class and whereabouts they lived at the time. I think that this would be of interest to any of the class, their families and others.

I don't suppose that too many of the photos will have survived the passage of time. Any tips or suggestions to help me get this photo onto the thread would be most welcome if its at all possible.I intend to submit more posts piecemeal so that when I have posted enough I will be able to be in contact with other members directly if necessary. Heres hoping that anyone who might be interested will be in touch.

Bye, 4x2

Would love to see the photo, not sure if I will be on it or if my 1st school photo was the following year. I was born at the end of August 1951 so might have missed that one.

I lived opposite the school at the bakers shop on Gleadless Road.

...Any tips or suggestions to help me get this photo onto the thread would be most welcome if its at all possible...
Hi Fourbytwo - welcome to the Forum! You could upload the photo to an image hosting site and then give a link in your post, though I could do this for you if you prefer. I've sent you my email address by Private Message.

Hi Hitone1, crikey that was quick. Yes, you may or not be on it as you were born in the six weeks holidays so could be in the next years intake. However, there is a "Tone" on the photo whose surname has a bakery connection so you never know.

I'm still looking for advice on the technics of actually getting it on to the site,

any tips?

4x2

Hi Banksia

Can’t remember Adams. I left Newfield Girls in 1969ish

Certainly remember Heeley Picture Palace and I think I can visualize where you lived, I think the Spinks (Yvonne) lived at the top of that road.

My family (the Gillotts) lived on Carter Road behind the Waggon & Horses.

I have done quite a bit of family history tracing and have accrued a few photos of old Heeley if you’re interested.

Definitely interested in old Heeley photos!

Thanks!

Hi trastrick, (name rings bells) trying to copy a good enough image to send and advice on how to do it in a simple language.

Cheeers, 4x2