Heeley Memories

Where have all the heeleyites disappeared to ?. I moved in 1976. born on 'Gregory Road' in 1936, must be plenty of old timers left. Any repies

I was born in Carter Place, and Gregory Road was close, but where was it exactly?

I was born in Carter Place, and Gregory Road was close, but where was it exactly?

First left off Nicholson Road is Gregory Road : first bend is a sharp right-hander, followed by a sharp left.

At one time, instead of the sharp left, "straight on" was also Gregory Road.

Second left off Nicholson Road is Carter Road...

[Edit]

First left off N.Road is initially Maxey Place : Gregory Road "starts" at the sharp right-hander...

There's still a Carter Place, off the top of Nicholson Place, but I can't find any reference to a 'Row'...

Edited by RiffRaff

First left off Nicholson Road is Gregory Road : first bend is a sharp right-hander, followed by a sharp left.

At one time, instead of the sharp left, "straight on" was also Gregory Road.

Second left off Nicholson Road is Carter Road...

Thanks to the old Ordnance Map link from Hillsbro, I was able to find it.

Now if you would have said " t'ruwood, where't newsagent 'ad shop what sold "Health & Efficency" in't shop winder", I would have known it immediately :)

I seem to recall a Rita Gregory, and a murder back in 1945 or so, anybody recall, or am I just connecting the two names?

Edited by trastrick

You should see the area now or maybe best not. I get shocked each time I go back to that area, it's nothing like it was in the 50's & 60's, everything is so run-down and grimy.

There's a house on Maxey Place which could be from a horror movie, I can't believe anyone could live there but, a local says they do.

Regards,

Duffems

You should see the area now or maybe best not. I get shocked each time I go back to that area, it's nothing like it was in the 50's & 60's, everything is so run-down and grimy.

There's a house on Maxey Place which could be from a horror movie, I can't believe anyone could live there but, a local says they do.

Regards,

Duffems

The powers that be must have demolished between 300-400 houses and replaced them with '70-80 dwellings, absolute bonkers. I lived there for 40 years, best place ever. went to Anne's Road Secondary School from 1941-1951. Nothing will ever erase my memories of that wonderful district called 'HEELEY'

'Gregory Road' faced 'Foster Road' where Cambridge Road and Tillitson Road met.

Regards,

Duffems

I just took a walk around the old neighborhood (courtesy of Google Street View) and compared to when I lived there it is like a park, with all the greenery everywhere. Trees only grew in the woods in my day.

It looks like "the 48 steps" are still there, though, going down to Shirebrook Road where we had posh relatives.

---------- Post added 10-01-2016 at 21:30 ----------

The powers that be must have demolished between 300-400 houses and replaced them with '70-80 dwellings, absolute bonkers. I lived there for 40 years, best place ever. went to Anne's Road Secondary School from 1941-1951. Nothing will ever erase my memories of that wonderful district called 'HEELEY'

'Gregory Road' faced 'Foster Road' where Cambridge Road and Tillitson Road met.

I was at Anns Rd (not Anne's) from 1944 to 1950, then to Heeley Bank.

Miss Haird times two, Peter Chapman, Keith Mitchell, Barry Burniston and the Shaws?

Edited by trastrick

Hi,

David Turley is my uncle, does anyone remember my mum? Lindsey Turley?

Hi to eveyone from Heeley. I was born at 34, Barton Rd in 1950.

Went to Anns Rd scoool, my mum would bring my coat to school if it was raining.

She worket at Skeltons and I remember going to see the flooded railway bridge one dinnertime and putting my foot in a muddy puddle, went up to my knees.

Happy Days. Now live in Licolnshire.

Hi BIGJON,

Heeley Bridge often used to flood and all along to Heeley Bottom. I'm amazed that some some of the shops stayed in business with all the flooding down there.

Wainwright's was a popular shop, also Gowers and Burgons. I loved the smell in Gowers, it was a mixture of tea and biscuits, when you lifted the lids of the square biscuit tins which were around the shop counter the smell was gorgeous, we always finished up buying the broken biscuits because they were the cheapest.

I remember Skeltons very well and, Skellys Bridge as it was known.

Does anyone know of any Goodison people from around Heeley area?

Regards,

Duffems

Hi to eveyone from Heeley. I was born at 34, Barton Rd in 1950.

Went to Anns Rd scoool, my mum would bring my coat to school if it was raining.

She worket at Skeltons and I remember going to see the flooded railway bridge one dinnertime and putting my foot in a muddy puddle, went up to my knees.

Happy Days. Now live in Licolnshire.

Had an uncle lived on Barton Road around that time. He always wanted a boy, but they had 5 girls in a row :)

Last name was Morris, the girls were Cath, Susan and .....?

There was a bloke lived in the next yard to us on Barton Rd. His name was Mr Fry, he was a teacher at the Maud Maxfield deaf school and he drove a grey Aston Martin. Came home one day and he had a brand new metalic red Aston DB5, just like James Bond.

Duffems. I think we're distantly related to the Goodisons.