Heeley Memories

i lived in sheffield until 1966, then moved to saskatchewan canada..I remember the Wagon & Horses, and I used to work at the Roundhouse.

If you worked at the Round house was it at the time Jim was the landlord, if so you might remember my old man Arthur Staley, he used to sit at the bottom of the stairs drinking halves of Wards!

LS

chumpy do you remember jean and sam,who had a son called paul,they were called heathcote,they lived in the first big yard on the other side of kent rd to the pub?I went to visit them regularly.kath

Hi, sorry to butt in on your conversation but I used to knock around with Paul, we used to go to the locarno on Thirsday and Sunday night on the pull! there was Paul, Stuart(I think his name was Sidall) a lad called Malc, Les Merriman off Sturge st and several others. I remember Sam had a liitle van and Paul was asking him if he could have a drive, so Sam made him drive acroos from Gleadless road to Heeley bank road without stalling the van and he did it!! I think there was about five of us in the back of the van!!

I remember Sylvia Russell, she lived about ten houses down from us on Sturge St, had an elder sister called Brenda, a real looker and she married a musician called Terry? and went to live in Blackpool I think (us heeleyites get to all the posh places)

Hi there,

While reading the messages I have come accross many memories. I was born on Fitzroy Road both me and my brother Alan went to Heeley Bank School I left there in 1954 and went to Hurlfield Girls. Does anyone remember the "Teen Bar " on Heeley Bottom and the Sunday night horror films at the Heeley Palace ? also the train from Heeley station on Sunday mornings and the hike out to Castleton. Wonderful days

I remember my mother Annie Thornhill mentioning Mary Depledge, my dad Alan Thornhill was a member of Heely Working Mens Club and also did a club turn as a singer under the name Alan Hill. Anyone remember him ?

My old man was secretary of the Upper Heeley working mens club and booked all the 'turns' I, m sure I can remember your dad.

Hi there,

While reading the messages I have come accross many memories. I was born on Fitzroy Road both me and my brother Alan went to Heeley Bank School I left there in 1954 and went to Hurlfield Girls. Does anyone remember the "Teen Bar " on Heeley Bottom and the Sunday night horror films at the Heeley Palace ? also the train from Heeley station on Sunday mornings and the hike out to Castleton. Wonderful days

I remember my mother Annie Thornhill mentioning Mary Depledge, my dad Alan Thornhill was a member of Heely Working Mens Club and also did a club turn as a singer under the name Alan Hill. Anyone remember him ?

yes i remember the sweet shop now as being phonetically connors, I lived at the shops next lot down from those. Originally dad had the greengrocers which he later turned into a chippie. We were on the edge of a wide drive that led to some garages at the back of us and shred this with David Dilks who was a barbers, then there was Bamfords? sweet shop and then the post office Shemmel i think they were called, down from us the other two shops were closed and the last was a ladies haidressers and the Becks lived behind that shop.

There was some open land where cottages once stood and Garages made of asbestos and corrugated steel that i can remember climbing up on to and running and jumping from roof to roof. Next to this and opposite the vicarage was a large house, very mysterious to me back then that had a huge garden. What you would give to have a house like that nowadays??

Then more open land where houses once stood and this is the open area which tosh's house would have backed onto.

I can remeber pinching wood from thier bonfire to make ours bigger than thiers and sure they did the same to us. We used to have what seemed to be massive bonfires of anything we could find to burn and spend weeks building them in time for November 5th.

Can anyone else remember the bonfires?

travelling further south!! next to the wagon was a tool shop and the owner was the original 'open all hours' complete with brown coat, then there was Mrs Wilsons grocers ( she looked like Olive Oyl ( for those who remember Popeye!!) then there was a drapers shop, fruit and veg shop and the about 5-6 cottages with a court yard in front, any body remember??

I lived on Tilletson (sorry for the bad spelling) Road, from about 1955 to maybe 1957 and went to Annes Road school, my sister went there before me from about 1950 to about 1955 her name was Judith Warburton, you may remember her.

I remember Staleys paper shop, Albert(the old man) and Brian, who sat on his a... while the old man delivered the papers in all weathers, Albert was my dads cousin.

Small world. The Newspaper shop Staleys share ancestors with my husband.

What did the 'Docker' used to be before we used to plat there, and how did it get its name? Does any one know, cos I dont!, or have forgotten, one of the two:confused:

I always wondered what the building that backed onto the docker was, I can remember it had wire guards on all the windows but I cant remember ever seeing a sign outside.

Was that the chippy that at one time was owned by Abert? Eliott his brother lived in the yard at the back of the chippy, it was about 200 yds up from the Coop at the end of Carrfield Road.

The original barber was Jimmy, I think he was danish? I worked for him before Dave took over, and for the really, really old gits like me that shop used to be a chippy!!

All those names you mentioned, I think Quack Staley is my older brother Jack, the others were his mates.