Heeley Memories

Marie check your PM inbox, do you have a mail I sent?

Hi

i attended annes rd 1958-64 then newfield boys 1964-68,lived in tillotson rd till 1966

There was an organist at either the Heeley Palace or the Coli pre-war and I can no longer remember his name. I think it was Bertram Brennan or something like that. It's a long time ago and my memory is failing. I do remember going to the Heeley Green before it was a cinema where I saw Gypsy Petrulengo and a man who whistled (could it have been Ronnie Rinaldi?) and also the strongest man in the world. For a publicity stunt he pulled a double decker bus up Gleadless Rd with his teeth!

do you remember any names of old friends who lived there on gleadless rd

I was schoolfriends with a girl called Joyce Wragg who lived in a back to back behind Taggy's ice cream shop in Gleadless Road. About 1942.

I was born in Heeley in 1966 (cambridge place) both my parents were born there as well - dad on kent road (tony gill

)mom on walden road- june marshall, my grandad was a coal merchant- edwin marshall. My parents both met at Tyzacks on Valley Road which strangely enough is where I bought my first house - right opposite!!! Apparently a few houses on Valley Road were fish and chip shops as well as houses and sold the food from the front windows!! I also remember the little terrace house on Heeley Green that was between 2 shops (one of which was the Herbalists where as a treat mom would take me for a drink (I think it was Vimto or Saspirella) out of the pump on the counter. And Tingles drapers - when I was little that place used to amaze me with all the wooden drawers. Does anyone remember Deans shop on Cambridge Road and Jims fish and chip shop????

Hi debsp I remember all the shops you mentioned, especially the Drinks shop, saspirella mmmmmmm. Tingles - they used to sell all balls of wool and stuff like that, not much call for that stuff now.

Do you remember the newsagents called Woolhouses?

also the Wagon and Horses and the Round House?

I was born around that time, which school did you go to?

I went to Heeley Bank, and for a little while Annes Rd before Newfield.

My gran used to live on Walden Rd - 27 I think.

Do you still live in sheffield?

hi mikey,

yes i do still live in sheffield, i lived at meersbrook for 14 years but have moved to crystal peaks now.

i went to what was then bluestones infants and then ashleigh which is now no longer there.

my mom and dad got married at heeley church and i can still remember all the terrace houses that were accrss the road (obviously they were married b4 i came along!!)

Ronnie Ronalde at Heeley Green

Apparantly this whistling wonder of 1950's wireless is still

alive.Mercifully he now lives in New Zealand where his avian

outpourings go unnoticed amidst the wildlife..however a birdnote of warning to the UK "Mister Monastery Garden " is

currently on tour in the North.

We used to drink dandelion and burdock with our Sunday dinner. Sometimes Tizer. Has anyone got the reci[e for making dandelion and burdock?

Originally posted by mikey

I also was born and lived in Heeley for a good part of my youth.

I went to Annes Rd School and Heeley Bank, I have lived on Spencer Rd, Richards Rd, Alexander Rd, and Gleadless Rd, I think my parents must have some nomadic blood in them.

I also went to Newfield school but it was fully mixed by then, but it still had the blue and red bulidings (Boys and Girls). Was Chinney there when you were there (Mr Wilson). I am also interested in your family name as you may know some of my relatives as they all lived around that area and some would be your age. Send me and Banksia a private mail to discuss.

my parents lived behind ponfords in rooms,my grandparents lived on well road,as did my auntie and uncle,can you rember DR McCULLUM?he had a surgery on spencer road and upper albert road,he brought all my children into this world,my sister went to anns road school too.