Ex Waltheof School pupils

Regarding the death Of Jim Postlethwaite and my views.

I don't know why it is,but I seem to have a somewhat different perception about some of the staff at Waltheof when I was there.

Some of the incidents will remain with me forever.

The most apalling thing took place at morning assembly 1963/64.Postlethwaite hauled two first or second year girls out on the stage in front of the whole school.

It seems they were caught going through the pockets of unattended clothes in the changing rooms at Woodthorpe Swimming baths.

Postlethwaite then set about a tirade of abuse, aimed at the two sobbing girls.His face was red,it was as if he as going to burst,he was on the verge of hysteria.

You could have heard a pin drop not even a cough, no-one made a sound and the staff just sat there as though nothing had happened.

Whilst some form of punishment would have been appropriate,but absolute humiliation in front of the whole school, well I don't think so.

I would have liked to have known what some of the female teachers thought about it,Sarson,Chadwick and the others.I thought it was disgraceful and these were the people who were there to guide us through life.

Instead we were given good examples of how to behave like a tyrant.

Just seen the sad news about Pops. If i had known i would have attended his funeral. I had a lot of respect for him. RIP.

Kind words, and very well put.

Respect , an emotion which is often absent , in thought and deed.

I am sure many more would have attended had they known .

Just read of pop's death, I have fond memories of him giving me six of the best in 1964, he got ten out of ten using a cane.In retrospect I deserved it. I also remember R.H.Smith using what appeared to be a size 22 slipper on pupils but never on me, he was my favourite teacher. Happy days !!

Hi Ali Asghar, and other ex-Waltheofeans from the late 60 and early 70s. I left in 72. Contemporaries I remember include Kev Burns, Pete Barlow, Pete Nelson, Phil Shirt, Bob Marshall, Steve Thompson.

Teachers... Pop, of course, Major Matt Marshall, DW Smith, Ray Ranson, Ed Grundy, and the fearsome Ben Holland.

:):):)My name is Hilary Bullas and I went to Waltheof 1960 to 64 at that time my surname was White.I would like to thank a lady whose user name is LyndyLou for helping my half brother to find me.Iv known about him for about 45 yrs and have never bean able to find him, and by sheer coincidence he stumbled upon a post from me that I posted a few years ago.He found me almost immediatley.Whilst Im on the site I will mentiona few of the people I remember at school Lynda Holmes Betsy Cuerton Marie Roome Lynda Willoughby Linda Hargreaves Mary Greene who was a very dear freind of mine,I occasionally see Andrea Young and Glenda Jackson and its always great to see them.The lads I remember are George Battersby Peter Johnson Martin and Im Sorry Roy Iv forgot your surname ,thats if your reading this post but you will know who you are if you do read it ,as you were with me when I met up with Stephen Fletcher again after we left school.I married Steve in 71 and have three great kids to him ,but sadley he died in 89.What a wonderful kind ,cant say enough good things about him.Very mutch loved and missed.Hes the link to the lad at school I knew as they were all his mates especially John Stanbra .I know I have left a lot of names out but I can remember most of my clasmates faces ,but its been sutch a long time.Would would be nice to hear from anyone and thanks again Lyndy Lou .

Hilary! how could you!

Hey steved32, it has been over 43 years since I last saw you but I can still see you sitting on the school steps awaiting some biological miracle to occur before before you could venture back to class as the dinner bell was clanging away signalling end of dinner.

It would be great to chat with you. One of our mutual friends has my personal email address. Think you'll know who I'm referring to.

The last teacher you mention in your thread was indeed a nightmare- and he had an identical twin. Imagine that!!

Chat soon

Now then Ali ...

It would be great to meet up with you and reminisce about the Waltheof years. Pete - aka Darnex - has also been in touch via the forum.

Another memory I have is of the French teacher, DW Smith - a county standard tennis player, with a mean forehand put to good use in swiping backsides with his Dunlop size 10.

The good old days, eh...not!

Steve.

Steve, I've sent you a private message. Hope you receive it.

Roman Stachiw here Hi everybody I went to Waltheof from 1969 - 1974 use to play Rugby With John Knell Mick Burgan Steve Clarke ie Clicker also played Badminton and use to do Athletics, would love from you other guys and girls. Would to know what happened to Andrew Savage Use to remember Pop,Marshall , Cooper, Tunnard, Miss Battersby always thought she was a bit big for a PE Teacher, and Rawson always remembered he slippered me once. Also remembered being sent to Msrshalls office for fighting bin class with Pete Goddard thought was going to get stick, but had to move some stock and told not to do it again

Roman Stachiw here Hi everybody I went to Waltheof from 1969 - 1974 use to play Rugby With John Knell Mick Burgan Steve Clarke ie Clicker also played Badminton and use to do Athletics, would love from you other guys and girls. Would to know what happened to Andrew Savage Use to remember Pop,Marshall , Cooper, Tunnard, Miss Battersby always thought she was a bit big for a PE Teacher, and Rawson always remembered he slippered me once. Also remembered being sent to Msrshalls office for fighting bin class with Pete Goddard thought was going to get stick, but had to move some stock and told not to do it again

Hi Roman

I was on the team too, A full back :thumbsup:

I got slippered by Tunnard, I had to pretend to sit down after! Me bum was on fire!! :suspect:

HERE's a pic of the team, You're holding the ball, I'm far right on the front row ;)

If you're on facebook there's a Waltheof group, There's a get together at the Three Feathers shortly..

There's a fair few from our year in the group..

Here's a LINK to the group..

John :)

Edited by biggsy
cuz eye karnt spel proply!! :)

Hi sweetcheeks

I also went from 65 to 70

From your profile I think you liked black Sabbath lived on darnall and knew the late John Smalley

If it is you

Horse racing gave it away

---------- Post added 30-01-2016 at 14:55 ----------

I we t to waltheof from 1965 to 1970

Remember well those days and Pop

Sad as I only learned today of his passing

Have been out of the area for some thirty years and lost most of old friends

Some alas passed too soon like my mate John Smalley

Would love to hear from people around that era

I was in arundel we were rubbish at everything

Until kev burns ended up in the house then we won all swimming ha ha

---------- Post added 30-01-2016 at 14:57 ----------