Ex Waltheof School pupils

Colin Cooper

I was at Waltheof around 1964

if you are the Colin Cooper from Darnell then I must be your brother Alan,have you seen anything of our brother Micheal ?.

Hi Caz1, Thanks for the Miss Beckett, I remember her now! Your female PE teacher`s name escapes me too, but I bet Mr Ransom knows it...he was always in her little office by the side of the Changing Rooms near the Gym!::heyhey: Again, apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick again. Nice to hear from you!

I think the female PE teacher was miss Grainey. Ransom used to follow her about like a lost puppy.

I'm definitely a late developer as I have only just discovered this site. I left Waltheof in 1972 and used to play badminton for school team. Others were Gary, Richard, Tom, Tony Staniland. Lynne Cowley was my mixed doubles partner. Comments about Lynne made me chuckle. Ian Tunnard, the English teacher took us for badminton.

Anyway this is a great site and it's lovely to read about people's experiences at the school.

Would be great to hear from anyone who remembers me.

---------- Post added 13-11-2014 at 13:26 ----------

BixB (July 2009)

All the names you mentioned were also in my class, I remember them as if it were yesterday! Me and Kenneth S were esp good friends.

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 08:09 ----------

Exhatter, you were at school the same time as me. Reveal yourself. Lol

---------- Post added 14-11-2014 at 10:20 ----------

I've hated tech drawing all my life and all because of Ben Holland. He would scribble on the lessons work on board and bellow for us to get on with it. Does anyone remember the, 'Put your hand down boy or I'll smack your paws' if ever we dared to put our hand up with a question. He was horrible. Imagine my shock horror upon discovering one lunchtime he had an identical twin!!

---------- Post added 17-11-2014 at 15:01 ----------

I do know Shirley Needham, she left in 72 the same year as me. What/where is Shirley now'. Do ask her if she remembers me, it would be great to hear from her. My contact number is 07931223616. I went to Waltheof from Whitby Road.

Years gone by so very fast......... It's great to stroll down memory lane!!!! I recall all those great friends who left Waltheof in '72. Seems like yesterday. My best wishes - Judith R.

Hi Judith, it's good to hear back from you. You mentioned a few names...I remember Kevin Hicken. Robert Marshall discovered a way of making statues. He would use soft wire for the internal shape and cover it with plaster of paris. I was surprised he didn't make a business of it cos he was good. Agree about the boffin Joan Holden, who I remember as nervy and shy but always into books. I thought she would become a librarian but I'm sure she did better.

You say Rowena was your best friend..that's interesting. You would know they had a shop on Industry Road but did you know the house that we lived in on Industry Rd was purchased from them! However, I couldn't tell you her whereabouts now.

---------- Post added 19-11-2014 at 22:22 ----------

Ps I thought the school badge was a shield

---------- Post added 21-11-2014 at 23:34 ----------

Hi Darnex, Burnsy (and others who were at Whitby Road), whatever happened to Elizabeth Cooke? I kind of vaguely remember her emigrating to Australia and wondered if anyone had heard from her since. Kevin B was the best swimmer ever but who/how many swam half a mile at Attercliffe baths?

Hi Ali. Last I heard from Liz She was living in the Bristol Area and doing OK .

Remember you as Ali . A at whitby rd , then later Ali. L at stalag - waltheof .

Younger Bro' named Yaqub ?

Indeed Mr. B. Holland ! lunchtime frequenter of the three - feathers pub , woe betide who got the 1st lesson afterwards !

Quote : " come out here my little manekin , and let me lay some willow across your filthy paws "

" what did you draw that homework with lad ? a stub out of the gutter ? " followed by an almighty whack with the T - Square .

Good to hear you are still around .

* I think it may have been Judith Burley who went to Oz.

Edited by Darnex
addition

Hi Darnex, I still don't know who you are yet so do reveal yourself lol. Yaqub is indeed my younger brother. And thanks for update on Elizabeth. Please convey my regards when you next speak with her. I doubt she'll remember me but I remember her long black hair.

Talking of BH, I sometimes wonder how those teachers ever passed their teacher training! Day remember miss Donachie (prob spelled it wrong!)

---------- Post added 02-12-2014 at 11:47 ----------

To be continued..

---------- Post added 02-12-2014 at 16:25 ----------

Sorry that was meant to say 'do you remember miss Donachie?'

Hello again Ali.

Not heard from Liz this past few years now , don't know if She still follows this forum , maybe ?

Someone mentioned earlier that Rowena resides in the Kiveton Park area ? not had any contact though .

The naturally talented artist was Robert Taylor .

sometimes known as " Tats " I think the Family moved to Coventry since Rob left Waltheof in appx. year 3

Not sure where Rob. Marshall went to , possibly The Guards .

Miss Donachie , who could forget , She was a real Looker !

We must have learned something though , since we can spell and use grammar . ( mostly)

Mr Cooper was easy to fathom , just pretend you loved cricket and hated Miss Sarson , you were then his friend for life .

Dennis Cooper wasn't really a bad man , He did a lot for the local community , but sometimes failed to control his inner demons , as do most of us from time to time. Certainly a character though.

Also remember you were pretty handy with a javelin .

* Be careful putting personal details on here ! this website is NOT secure .

Edited by Darnex
spelling

Hi Ali Latif. I was in Yacub's class at Whitby Road. I was head girls at the time, Linda Hayward. Then went to Waltheof. I loved your brother cos of his white pearly teeth haha :hihi: He and Terence Halliday and me went to Atterclife Baths ALL the time then we'd play on the canal for hours. You went be Ali Bin Ahmed I think?

---------- Post added 02-12-2014 at 22:34 ----------

Ali, what is Yuqub up to these days? I have lived in California for the past 35 years. I would love to have a Waltheof reunion if some one would organize it? Any offers anyone??

---------- Post added 02-12-2014 at 22:43 ----------

Mr Saxon died shortly after retiring. Very special man. I was head girl at Whitby Road in about 1966 or 67. I was in the Yellow team, Hamiltons. Linda Hayward. I loved sports and swimming and was head of the rounders team for the last 2 yrs.

Hi Darnex, lol to your private message which is most appreciated. Though to such a live wire anymore! Anyway, it's good to know who I'm communicating with and I do remember you well from Whitby Road onwards. You may well be right about Judith Burley emigrating to Oz though I was absolutely certain it was Liz C. Can anyone else enlighten us?

Talking of teachers do you remember Mr Mawson, who took us for maths. I liked him. I can hear him saying 'bonday borning cold Ali'.

Please do keep in touch.

---------- Post added 02-12-2014 at 23:36 ----------

That's supposed to say, 'though not such a live wire....'

---------- Post added 02-12-2014 at 23:59 ----------

Hi exhatter, I had written you a response and have lost it!!!!!. I'll try again tomorrow. Lots to share. TC

---------- Post added 03-12-2014 at 00:01 ----------

Ps I didn't become Ali Ben Ahmed!!!! That was someone totally different. I became Ali Latif and still am lol

Memory often plays silly tricks, I remember stuff from donkeys years ........

Then wonder where I put my car keys today .

I grew up with Liz , same street, we were and hopefully still are - good friends. She moved to Northampton area ( Due to Her Dad's work) shortly after starting senior school. Later attended Uni . and finished up in Bristol.

Became a freelance management trainer .often working for many blue - chip companies.

There is more , which is entirely personal & private, certainly not for any Forum .or anyone else .

Judith ( or Judy as she now prefers ) used to be on the old friends - reunited,

attesting Her move to Oz.

Mr. Mawson was old school , He and his lifelong friend & colleague Mr Curtois ( Science Teacher) were both gentleman , truly dedicated and suffered fools badly ! Mawson used to send any miscreants to " Pop " for the stick . including Moi'

Archie Mawson was a bit of a Francophile , and loved Edith Piaf. He sometimes used a Metronome in class , which often sent us to sleep.

His favourite joke " Q.what do you call an Imp on the Paris underground ?

A. " a Metro - Gnome "

---------- Post added 03-12-2014 at 22:37 ----------

I was in the Yellow team, Hamiltons. Linda Hayward. I loved sports and swimming and was head of the rounders team for the last 2 yrs.

I think you mean " Hamptons " Linda , I still have my Hamptons "swimming" badge, yellow with a white bar. and all my Whitby rd swimming Cert's.

You can take the lass out of Sheffield , but ...................?

Hi Linda, it's good to hear from you. Can't believe you've been in America for 35 years..wow that's a lifetime! Yaqub is doing really well for himself, Did you know he was working in America, Boston I think for about 9 years. He's probably been back for just as long now.

Yaqubs pearly teeth lol, he's now got pearly dentures!!! Only kidding. He often talks about you guys fondly, the visits to Attercliffe baths and canal on the way back. Mind you he's always been coy about the precise nature of 'games' you guys played at the canal!!lol

Re Ali bin Ahmed, no I didn't morph into him. He was a totally different person altogether, an extremely good runner and far superior to my feeble efforts whenever I ran. I remember a schools cross country run at Graves Park where I managed to do half the distance then somehow disappeared. I hated cross country esp as they used to make us go in the freezing cold weather. Brrr. Some of the excuses I came up with to be alleviated of this horrendous activity. Mind you for someone who hated running, I did manage to complete the London Marathon at 50. Never again though!!

I used to throw javelin, as Darnex rightly remembers, both for school and Sheffield. I was generally sporty and played badminton, cricket, football and rugby. I played rounders for Whitby Rd and still have the certificates. How sad lol

A Waltheof school reunion would be great but we defo need someone to take the initiative. Any offers Darnex!!

---------- Post added 05-12-2014 at 12:58 ----------

Hi Darnex, agree about the memory bit.. I can walk from lounge to kitchen and en route forget about we hat I went for!!! Lol. But your memory of yesteryear is truly impressive.

Talking of yesteryear, do you remember a Kathleen Nethercote at Whitby Road who was always snotty (sorry Kathleen). I'm not sure if she went on to Waltheof or elsewhere. I once bumped into her years later at the Wicker and got the biggest shock of my life. She had transformed into a beautiful young woman, I couldn't believe it was the same girl that I knew.

Re Tats, I remember Robert well. So, if he was the artist who was Gary Wade? My memory clearly not a good as I led myself to believe. I always thought Gary was the artist as I can recall him drawing a beautiful picture of a horse at a time when my depiction of the same looked like a cat!! My artistic skills still haven't improved..

I was also in Hamptons. Did you do your half a mile swim at Attercliffe baths, 60 odd lengths or so. I have all my certificates too. Didn't we walk all the way there and back from School. No wonder we were as fit as a butchers dog!!! Lol

---------- Post added 05-12-2014 at 22:53 ----------

Hi Bixb, do reveal yourself even if via private message.

Today I've had a conversation with Darnex after umpteen years. Brilliant to catch up on yesteryear, memories, experiences but alas also sad that some of the people/friends are no longer with us.