Sign in to follow this  

Best match ever

Blades 5 - Brighton 4.

It was in about September 1989.

Blades were coasting it - they were 3-0 up after about half an hour. Brighton turned it right round and were leading 4-3 with not too long left. I think Bryson got the equaliser - which we were pretty happy with by that point, then John Francis stormed through for a wicked diving header to win it with just a minute or so left.

Cue pandemonium on the Kop - absolutely brilliant. What a great promotion season that was.

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

Ah none of you saw:

Sheff Weds 5 - 4 Man Utd. with Law, Best, Charlton etc. in 1967(?)

Wednesday were up at 1-0, down at 2-1, level at 2-2 and down at 2-4 before running out 5-4 winners. The greatest exhibition of attacking footy ever and not a camera in sight!

Also memorable for Whitam hitting the crossbar at 1-0 with a 25 yard thunderbolt and Don Megson unlucky to have a 35 yard screamer ruled out for offside. Rubbish refereeing there obviously.

Anyone who saw it will never forget.

You beat me to it!!!!

This was without doubt the best match I ever saw although I thought it was 1868, Man U's European cup winning team.

Whitam hat trick was highlight.

Also memorable for the party atmosphere on the Kop with no segregation. Must have been forty plus thousand on a warm Saturday afternoon. Of course this was when matches were played on Saturday afternoons.

Great day.

1970 World Cup Final, Brazil v Italy.

Yes, a super match Killian. Brazil - Team of the century.

Darlington v Seff U 4th Div Promotion day.

We took up a Coach from our pub. Remember Jeff King falling over in front of me and saying he was knackered.

A great day all round!!!

Blackburn 2 -v- 4 Owls cup match.

Wegerle scored first for Blackburn and then that disastrous - off the bar goal to put them 2-0 up.

Owls then started the rampage!! Warhurst, Sheri etc! What a fantastic game!! had me jumping out of my seat every 10 seconds. :clap:

I'm astounded no Blades fan has mentioned the Forest play-off game!!!

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

Ah none of you saw:

Sheff Weds 5 - 4 Man Utd. with Law, Best, Charlton etc. in 1967(?)

Wednesday were up at 1-0, down at 2-1, level at 2-2 and down at 2-4 before running out 5-4 winners. The greatest exhibition of attacking footy ever and not a camera in sight!

Also memorable for Whitam hitting the crossbar at 1-0 with a 25 yard thunderbolt and Don Megson unlucky to have a 35 yard screamer ruled out for offside. Rubbish refereeing there obviously.

Anyone who saw it will never forget.

Wrong there Ned, I was sat in the West Stand that day, I agree though the ref was biased, but a classic of a match.

Originally posted by Andyman

You beat me to it!!!!

This was without doubt the best match I ever saw although I thought it was 1868, Man U's European cup winning team.

Whitam hat trick was highlight.

Also memorable for the party atmosphere on the Kop with no segregation. Must have been forty plus thousand on a warm Saturday afternoon. Of course this was when matches were played on Saturday afternoons.

Great day.

Bang on about no segregation Andyman we used to sit on the end of the row in the middle section of the West Stand, and we usually had a good time with the opposing supporters.

As a Blade, I have to go for the playoff semi-final second leg against Forest. There are a few matches that season that I'll never, ever forget.

Man Utd coming from behind to beat Bayern in the European Cup was great.

Chelsea destroying Barcelona at stamford bridge in the champions league a few years ago 3-1, and the return leg at the Nou Camp which Barca won 5-1 after extra time.

And I don't need to say anything about this one; England 5 Germany 1.

Originally posted by Agent ****

...And I don't need to say anything about this one; England 5 Germany 1.

Yeah, in the short spcae of time that I've actually be watching football there haven't been that many good games but when England beat Germany 5-1 it was brilliant. Top class stuff.

How did Germany get put in a better group than us for the World Cup 2002 and have an easier path to the final.... that sucks!

Originally posted by ianmitchell

Yeah, in the short spcae of time that I've actually be watching football there haven't been that many good games but when England beat Germany 5-1 it was brilliant. Top class stuff.

How did Germany get put in a better group than us for the World Cup 2002 and have an easier path to the final.... that sucks!

I don't understand either as this was, without any doubt, the worse German team ever. Perhaps that had something to do with the scoreline.