Bread and dripping

Hi Lazyherbert

That is a perfect description. Are you sure you did not live at our house?

Don't forget a nice mug of tea to wash it down.

And of course, the bread was tosted on the fire.

Margaret

If you have'nt tasted Beef dripping,with all the bottoms on a crust of home made bread, a sprinking of salt, boy ,you have'nt lived,you just have'nt lived But sad to say you can't by a piece of beef,with all the lovely fat on it,to stick in a fire oven on the old Yorkshire range Boy oh boy ,that made good dripping with all brown gravy. And then to have a thick crust of bread, made in a fire oven ,that was living I feel sorry for the younger generation,you haven't tasted good grub like we old 'uns have

Milted, you shouldn't be allowed to write something like that. I'm drooling all over the keyboard.

how very very sad if i ever go into a church iwill say a prayer for you

Say one for me too then flyer, will you? There are many dishes that I miss living over here: pork pies, hot meat pies like were available in the pubs, real back bacon, pickled cabbage and big pickled onions, jam sponge with custard, and the list goes on. I even enjoy black pudding when I visit the old sod (as in the country, not the person).

But I hated bread and dripping while I was growing up. Wasn't fond of fried bread either.

Just a matter of taste.:gag::gag:

bread and dripping - sounds disgusting

Thats what the rest of our family say..But the wife and I still enjoy a crust of bread spread with any sort of dripping..And since we bought the "George Forman" we have an endless supply from the dripping tray at the front.

Welcome to the forum Nellie :wave:

My Mam always had dripping handy, just in case anyone fanied it on some bread.

We had a snobby neighbour who informed us, down south (where she was from) they didn't eat dripping! :shocked:

Well she was talking rubbish, both my family and my wife's family had bread and dripping........with salt and pepper,delicious.

Don't know if posh families did though, we weren't.

rogGI have lived in Pennsylvania USA for almost fifty years and still miss a lot of the foods from home.There is an import shop I can get things from but, no meat products are allowed in the USA.

You live in one of my most favorite s places on earth, but must admit driving on the Confederation Bridge scares the daylights out of me.

Margaret

rogGI have lived in Pennsylvania USA for almost fifty years and still miss a lot of the foods from home.There is an import shop I can get things from but, no meat products are allowed in the USA.

You live in one of my most favorite s places on earth, but must admit driving on the Confederation Bridge scares the daylights out of me.

Margaret

No problem on the bridge margaret as long as you don't go over when the winds are high. But I always prefer the ferry in summertime anyway. Nice and relaxing.

I just thought of a couple of other dishes from home that I miss a lot: meat and potato pie which my grandma used to make with a nice biscuity crust on it and steak and kidney pie. Folk over here turn their noses up at the "kidney" part of S & K pie, because the kidneys are used to make urine. What a lot of nonsense. The cooking gets rid of any miniscule amounts of that. We can get some English packaged foods at a specialty store in Halifax, which is a 4 hour drive from where I live. A guy from Nottingham opened a fruit/ veg and British import store and has become a millionaire as a result.

Talking of pork can you remember the hot pork sandwiches with crackling from Freidrichs in the Wicker.

I can remember those. I couldnt walk past the place without buying a couple- I tried to ignore it but that smell of cooking pork....irrisistable.

Bread and dripping, toast and dripping, generous sprinkling of oxo cube finished with salt and pepper, drool

I still get pork dripping from my local Polish pork butcher on Abbeydale Road.

One of the quickest ways to having a heart attack but admittedly they were delicious,not had one in years due to being health concious.

What`s the rhyme go like though? I`ve not heard it before

Mum always used beef dripping for cooking chips, and pork dripping for sarnis. Always had a smear of marmite on too.

At the time it was heaven on earth, now I only have mucky dripping on a pork sarni, or to add flavour to roast potato's whilst cooking ....... home made mucky dripping just can't be beat :D