Sheffield Community Health shamed on hygiene

there is a defined difference between the PATIENTS using NGH, and the other two mentioned. excepting the childrens here, as it is a childrens hospital, and just comparing the other two: the NGH has to accept anything walking through the doors of A&E, the hallamshires addmissions are to a degree, policed, by not having an A&E, where anyone can wander in and they are on decidely different sides of town in terms of the areas they serve for planned/referred admissions too. you only have to take a wander around the vickers wards of NGH to see what i mean by this. Granted this should not make a difference to staff attitude, but guess its hard to be all sweetness and light when confronted by rude, uncouth drug users and general lowlife as compared to nice middle class planned admissions

I very much doubt that there was any difference in my manner at either hospital; I do not suddenly become recognisably more one class than another depending on where in Sheffield I step off the No 22.

The NG A&E was a great deal LESS busy than the Minor Injuries walk-in clinic at the Hallamshire last time I went there (there was just one very quiet elderly couple in the waiting area with us).

I do not expect "sweetness and light", but I DO expect professional behaviour and manners. If staff feel that the patients are "general lowlife" unworthy of their attention, they might be happier working in the private Prison Service.

May I respectfully request that the moderator change the title of this thread to ' Sheffield Community Health shamed on hygiene ' since the report in question refers to the Primary Care Trust and is nothing to do with Sheffield Hospitals. Thank you.

Im glad someone has put this on SF. My mum caught MRSA in the Northern General.

And my Mum took MRSA INTO hospital despite having not been in hospital before ! Such sweeping comments inferring that everyone infected with MRSA caught the infection whilst in hospital is alarmist and incorrect.

Well they used to years ago, when I was a nurse. They only have to move them slightly to one side, clean, then move back again.

Times have changed Pattricia - the workload has doubled -and I speak as someone who has been in the job for 30 years. the ' good old days' where not so good as you remember them. A touch of the rose tinted spectacles, I think. I can remember the ' good old days ' - cockroaches, crickets, mice , cats and pigeons were regular visitors on the wards.

Times have changed Pattricia - the workload has doubled -and I speak as someone who has been in the job for 30 years. the ' good old days' where not so good as you remember them. A touch of the rose tinted spectacles, I think. I can remember the ' good old days ' - cockroaches, crickets, mice , cats and pigeons were regular visitors on the wards.

Yes, but No MRSA,Betty.

Yes, but No MRSA,Betty.

It took a while for the bacteria to mutate into a version that could beat antibiotics. Mainly thanks to antibiotics given to farm animals and unsutible prescribing by GPs.

Yes, but No MRSA,Betty.

Yes, but TB, polio,Pattricia

And my Mum took MRSA INTO hospital despite having not been in hospital before ! Such sweeping comments inferring that everyone infected with MRSA caught the infection whilst in hospital is alarmist and incorrect.

thankyou!, glad im not the only one to make that observation (as someone who HAS swabbed patients on admission, where criteria for it do exist)

Yes, we have MRSA now unfortunatley. Its a mutation of a bacterium found on EVERY persons skin: Staphylococcus Aureus. The primary reason it developed: PATIENT NON COMPLIANCE WITH ANTIBIOTIC MEDICATION. so while you are blaming the hospitals for it all, just consider if YOU, personally, have ALWAYS completed evey course of antibiotics you were ever prescribed? as if not, you are playing your part in the development of MRSA strains

May I respectfully request that the moderator change the title of this thread to ' Sheffield Community Health shamed on hygiene ' since the report in question refers to the Primary Care Trust and is nothing to do with Sheffield Hospitals. Thank you.

You mods dozing tonight ?

It seems you may be right, Betty1! I plead in my defence that it was a discussion on Radio 2 this lunchtime - where the discussion was about hospitals - that set me on to this. Sheffield's hospitals - including the Northern General and the Hallamshire - come under the "Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust" I gather - a separate body. The Primary Care Trust deals with the non-hospital side of things. Was the Teaching Hospitals Trust included in this survey and did it do OK?

Apologies for the misunderstanding but we have nevertheless aired some concerns around the important subject of hospital infections.

I hate to put a dampener on things, but it's actually the Primary Care Trust that failed to reach the hygiene standards, not the hospitals.

Can you explain what that actually means please? Are the hospitals in fact hygienic?