Meateaters - would you kill your own food?

If you had to, could you kill and prepare your own meat?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to, could you kill and prepare your own meat?

• Yes
    • No
    • Vegetarian/Vegan/other/prefer not to say

I think you're spot on there, Ghozer. I think we'd all do pretty much whatever we had to in order to survive.

In retrospect however, I think I misworded the thread. What I really meant was that if supermarkets and butchers ceased supplying meat, what would you do? Would you buy or hunt down your own cows/pigs/sheep/etc, kill them and eat them? Or would you just simply adapt to a vegetarian lifestyle?

If it was just that meat wasn't sold any more no i wouldn't kill for meat, i would only do that if it was for my family to survive, and i know that under the normal course of events we can survive without meat in our diets.

Yes i could, and have. i have killed and prepared poultry and game (chickens, turkey, rabbits etc)

we have also reared our own pork and lamb, though obviously we cant kill and prepare this ourselves, but instead take it to a local abbatoir, but i have no problem with seeing it killed, as long as killing is done humanely and does not cause suffering. at least what we have killed an eaten has had a humane and largely organic life and we know whats gone into it and what sort of life its had. i.e: Its not factory farmed or intensively reared

Q: If you had to kill a cow/pig/sheep/deer/other for breakfast/lunch/dinner/delete as appropriate and butcher accordingly, would you?

I suspect that most people wouldn't, but I'd like feedback.

As usual, please keep it clean and insult free.

:)

By if you had to do you mean if there was no other food (or just meat) available. for centuies people did and managed perfactly well.

I think you're spot on there, Ghozer. I think we'd all do pretty much whatever we had to in order to survive.

In retrospect however, I think I misworded the thread. What I really meant was that if supermarkets and butchers ceased supplying meat, what would you do? Would you buy or hunt down your own cows/pigs/sheep/etc, kill them and eat them? Or would you just simply adapt to a vegetarian lifestyle?

Yup, i'd probably find some way and buy some land, breed them, and butcher them myself, aswell as selling to a local community etc...

I have NOTHING against vegetarians, however, if we were meant to eat Just Vegetables, and fruit etc - we wouldnt have been made with Canines, and we wouldnt need the vitimins that are in meat which alot of vegetarians have to replace with taking vitimins, or other vitimin alternatives...

antother thing that bugs me, is when vegetarians eat 'meat flavoured' food, if you want to eat meat flavoured things, eat meat god damn it...

I've killed plucked and gutted a chicken before.

same here, so ive got no problems with it

Yup, i'd probably find some way and buy some land, breed them, and butcher them myself, aswell as selling to a local community etc...

I have NOTHING against vegetarians, however, if we were meant to eat Just Vegetables, and fruit etc - we wouldnt have been made with Canines, and we wouldnt need the vitimins that are in meat which alot of vegetarians have to replace with taking vitimins, or other vitimin alternatives...

antother thing that bugs me, is when vegetarians eat 'meat flavoured' food, if you want to eat meat flavoured things, eat meat god damn it...

It's not the taste, but the fact that it's a fellow animal that is the problem. If you can recreate the taste/texture without having to eat another creature, what's the problem?

I've been on both sides of this fence, and to be honest, I know very few veggies who needed to supplement their diet with vitamins, in fact none, including myself for the time I was veggie.

I know you're not anti-veggie, but just had to say that.

Yep, Have and would, even the big stuff. I did a few weeks in an abatoir when i was at catering college and i think seeing where your food comes from is important.

I've done the ususal poultry. In Africa we had a goat and the cook cut its throat. Its the only way to ensure you're getting fresh meat. Apart from the blood i think you'd be suprised at how calm the whole situation is.

I think that knowing where your food comes from makes you more aware of why quality is important. If you get a steak in a packet it can be made to look presentable. If you see a scabby cow then you know its poor quality before you even see the meat.

I ran a farm as a sideline for 13 years, that makes you adjust to the realities of life. My father was a country boy and I spent a lot of holidays on farms. You learn food does not come from supermarkets and start out in plastic packs!

I ran a farm as a sideline for 13 years, that makes you adjust to the realities of life. My father was a country boy and I spent a lot of holidays on farms. You learn food does not come from supermarkets and start out in plastic packs!

Absolutely, and whether meat, dairy, or arable, it's a lot of bloody hard work.

It's not the taste, but the fact that it's a fellow animal that is the problem. If you can recreate the taste/texture without having to eat another creature, what's the problem?

I've been on both sides of this fence, and to be honest, I know very few veggies who needed to supplement their diet with vitamins, in fact none, including myself for the time I was veggie.

I know you're not anti-veggie, but just had to say that.

I'm anti-veggie. It's not just vitamins you get, it's iron and protein. Supplements are ok, but that's just what they are, supplementary. The body needs proper, natural nutrition, not something made in a factory. Most vegetarians I know say it's healthier, but they look horrendously ill. It's natural to eat meat so why not?

I've caught, killed, gutted and cooked my own fish before. Does that count?

done that too,also done the same with rabbit,have never expected anyone to do something for me that i was not prepared to do for myself.

No I couldn't kill if there was alternative food available. If I was starving then I'm sure I could.