Sign in to follow this  

Teenagers & computers

Hi I was just looking thru the posts on here and there doesn't seem to be any regarding teenagers. I am a single mum of a online gaming mad son who is 14. He's on em from coming home from school til I, with great difficulty, kick him off. On one hand I am glad he's at home so I can keep an eye on him but do worry about the amount of time he's on the pc. Does anyone else have a son or daughter doing the same?

I don't but I have a close friend whose son is like that.

My (rather strong) opinion is that he's become a very insular, rude and aggressive boy and he needs to be restricted from using the pc all the time.

My friend finally saw the light when he was playing an 18 rated game and was asking questions about the outrageous content but it hasn't changed very much.

If you are unhappy about the amount of time spent online you could restrict it and offer him an alternative - perhaps a martial arts class which focuses on health and discipline but gives hime something to aim toward with gradings? I'm sure you could find an alternative which suits him and you.

There's always the possibility of getting a part time job, then he could earn money to spend doing other things he likes.

He might resist but you can always put a password on the computer enabling you to fully control his access time.

It's a harsh line, I personally have very strong feelings about children spending too much time online and not enough time developjng social skills, maintaining friendships and enjoying free time in healthy and productive ways.

I think my opinion is developed by having worked with children for the last 16 years and noticing commonalities between certain children.

That's my opinion and not necessarily what you want to hear but I hope you can resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

it is a little reclusive to be on them all the time at that age in my experience.

however as with tv - what do you expect him to do instead.

perhaps if you could arrange or supervise alternatives it might encourage him away from the pc.

14 is a fab age-see what else he is interested in-hopefully it wont be an expensive hobby! like skiing or something!

martial arts are good idea, or rugby or something or get his mates round for game of basketball!