Old driving instructors and lessons!!!

Another shout out for Larry Logan. A great character and top instructor.

Got both myself and fiancée through first time in the early 70s.

' hug that kerb like your girlfriend '

I've never forgotten it.

I took my driving lessons in 1975 with a company on Middlewood Road, I remember the shop front being painted bright orange, it was on the right hand side going towards town.

Could it have been Middlewood school of motoring? I had a teacher called Martin who was good but then he left and I got a young time waster

who wasn't interested in teaching you so I moved on to an old friend Kieth Wainright.

Am I one of few who still have their green paper driving licence and still in use, never had a plastic one. I know some say they are not legal but I've been told by the police that they are still valid unless you want to drive abroad that is.

Blimey Jaffa1. A green paper licence ! and I was panicking about still having my pink one.

I can rest easy now.

'Drive With Care, Learn With Clare' Jack Clare's school of motoring on Abbeydale Road.

I think it's a printing business in the building now.

The chap at Mi ddlewood School of motoring David Walker saw him few days ago.

Blimey Jaffa1. A green paper licence ! and I was panicking about still having my pink one.

I can rest easy now.

Wasn't the pink one the provisional licence? I think I remember those.

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 10:41 ----------

The chap at Middlewood School of motoring David Walker saw him few days ago.

Now that name rings a bell, did he used to wear a leather jacket and was he the time waster? :confused::wink:

Well I've just checked and my pink paper licence issued to me in 1978 definitely says FULL at the top. Thank God it's not provisional, though I'm sure they would have spotted it when they were putting points on it !!

I passed my test in 1960 aged 17,I only had 5 one hour lessons,the firm where I worked paid for 6 lessons but I forgot to turn up for one of them!.I was taught by BSM who charged £1 an hour,the instructor told me to put in for my test which I passed so the whole experience only cost me £1 of my own cash!.One thing I still remember my instructor telling me was "Always expect the vehicle in front to do something stupid at anytime"!,good advice especially nowadays with the amount of traffic on the roads and all the budding Lewis Hamiltons around!.

Edited by old tup
missing word

My provisional driving licence in the early '60s was orange-yellow in colour. It changed to dark red once converted to a full licence and subsequently to the pink/green paper version. I've recently been forced to accept a photocard version. Progress!!

echo

I was taught by Mel Travers, when he was based at Crookes. Think it was called Safeway driving school, back in 1986.

He still teaches today but works for someone I dont wish to speak about Lol

Caz[/quote. Mel Travis ....i went school with his kids

I also had Stan Wainwright, he was very good. Had most of my lesson though with a guy called Brian Tingle. Can't remember who Brian worked for or if he worked for himself. I am going back almost 50 years ago...well about 47. Brian used to say "force it Phoebe" if I couldn't

get the manual car in gear. Or if I crunched the gears he would say "sort em out they're all in the same box" Funny but I have never forgotten those sayings & if I hear anyone grating gears I always say that.

I also had Stan Wainwright, he was very good. Had most of my lesson though with a guy called Brian Tingle. Can't remember who Brian worked for or if he worked for himself. I am going back almost 50 years ago...well about 47. Brian used to say "force it Phoebe" if I couldn't

get the manual car in gear. Or if I crunched the gears he would say "sort em out they're all in the same box" Funny but I have never forgotten those sayings & if I hear anyone grating gears I always say that.

Hi Janet,

Brian Tindall lived on Richmond Park Road and operated as a one man band from home. He had a advert board attached to the front of his house promoting his school of motoring.

Circa 1966 he employed me and friend as part time instructors. It was a time before instructors needed all the training and qualifications that they do nowadays. I was still a 'minor' in those days having had about three years driving experience and my friend was younger than me! Brian had a couple of cars. The one that he used had dual controls but his other car (the one that he gave us to use) didn't. It was a green mark 1 Ford Cortina.

echo.