How many can't swim?

I've been swimming since I was 4 - it is so useful, and I definately recommend anyone to learn.

My cousin can't swim and has a phobia of water -it definately limits what she can do when on holiday. My niece on the otherhand is 11 weeks old and is going on a waterbabies course. We're making sure she will have no phobia of water and will be a complete natural in water :)

I dont do swimming. fear mainly from when I was younger. really bad swimming teacher at Hurlfield swimming baths. why anyone would make a 5 year old jump in when they dont want to is beyond me. After spluttering about, and 12 weeks of lessons when I was 10, I could probably save my life if I was chucked in some water.. But in general avoid. completely.

I think I was taken to the public baths by my Mum when I was about two. At infant school we also had a pool (and a nice teacher called Mr Potter).

Where I go now I regularly see Mums taking very young babies in and literally throwing them in at the deep end - they love it and learn quickly.

I first took you when you were around 3 months old - you wouldn't remember of course.:)

I cant swim our school used to go to a swimming baths on Sutherland road off Petre Street somewhere.Our instructor was a Mr Scott he was basically a sadist he used to line all the non swimmers up at the deep end with one of those polystyrene boards that didnt float ( well keep you a float) and one by one push you really hard into the pool he knocked the wind out of your sails before you even hit the water. Then as you were fighting for breathe and near drowning grabbing for the edge he would push you back out with a big pole. I used to get my Mum to do me a note to say I had a verruca because I just couldnt face that every week, even now I cant put my head under water.

omg i went to the same baths with the same instrucotor and i experianced exactly what you did, hence being terrified of water now.

Never had a reason to learn to swim.Times have changed since the Titanic went down,all ferrys have ample life saving gear and you are hardly likley to get a tidal wave hitting Sheffield

Never had a reason to learn to swim.Times have changed since the Titanic went down,all ferrys have ample life saving gear and you are hardly likley to get a tidal wave hitting Sheffield

Well it did flood a couple of years ago!

I don't really see why people need to be able to swim in the 21st century. It's nice, but if you can't, it's simple enough to just stay away from water. Don't go in the sea any deeper than your ankles and if, by a million to one chance, you're on a plane or boat that goes down, there'll be plenty of life vests and belts. I can't hang glide or surfboard but I don't feel deprived in any way. Swimming is a nice pastime but it's hardly going to spoil your quality of life if you can't do it.

I don't really see why people need to be able to swim in the 21st century. It's nice, but if you can't, it's simple enough to just stay away from water. Don't go in the sea any deeper than your ankles and if, by a million to one chance, you're on a plane or boat that goes down, there'll be plenty of life vests and belts. I can't hang glide or surfboard but I don't feel deprived in any way. Swimming is a nice pastime but it's hardly going to spoil your quality of life if you can't do it.

Swimming is a great form of exercise and it is very enjoyable. Being unable to swim may not spoil your quality of life, but being able to, will enrich it.

it is also the only method I know of, to get to France for free, unless your hitch-hiking.

Of course I can swim, anyone who can't must be an absolute pussy.