How many can't swim?

I can't swim but I bet that the majority of you can.

When I was at school we used to go to the old Park swimming baths (going down towards Park hill). It was an ancient building and the smell of chlorine nearly took your breath away.

I can remember the instructor was a beast of a man who has managed to give me a fear of water which borders on phobic.

He used to line us all up along the edge of the bath and tell us to jump in. I was always petrified and was one of the poor kids who was knocked in one at a time with the pole he carried.

I hate water to this day and feel that I miss out so much. Even when I am in the bath I can't wash my face or hair in there. I have to get out and be able to feel my feet on the ground. I have made sure that both my children have had lessons and can swim for their safety sake as well as their own enjoyment.

Oh my god!! we had lessons there and that man was very harsh!!!

he used to hold his big stick out (oooer) as though he was gonna let you use it to help you then pull it away. a proper sergant major type!!

always shouting at everybody

I was never a strong swimmer when I was younger, but used to stay afloat, not quite sure how cos my style of "swimming" was quite unique. but am a pretty good swimmer now. I take my boys regularly, I don`t want them to be scared of water.

Very true, I couldn’t swim properly, maybe a width at best; I went to adult swimming lessons and progressed to the stage where I could do 40 lengths in a session.
I can swim but not particularly well and seem to expend so much energy just trying to stay afloat. I think this is due to lack of technique and lack of confidence in equal measures.

I've always thought a few lessons might help but just never got round to it, mainly due to embarrassment i think. :(

I can swim but not particularly well and seem to expend so much energy just trying to stay afloat. I think this is due to lack of technique and lack of confidence in equal measures.

I've always thought a few lessons might help but just never got round to it, mainly due to embarrassment i think. :(

Really, there is no need to be embarrassed. They do adult only classes down at Ponds Forge and you'll be surprised to see how many people are in the same position as you. Go for it, go down and learn how to swim correctly and you won't look back.

Really, there is no need to be embarrassed. They do adult only classes down at Ponds Forge and you'll be surprised to see how many people are in the same position as you. Go for it, go down and learn how to swim correctly and you won't look back.
Cheers AO. You're right, I should bite the bullet and do it.

I can't swim but I bet that the majority of you can.

When I was at school we used to go to the old Park swimming baths (going down towards Park hill). It was an ancient building and the smell of chlorine nearly took your breath away.

I can remember the instructor was a beast of a man who has managed to give me a fear of water which borders on phobic.

He used to line us all up along the edge of the bath and tell us to jump in. I was always petrified and was one of the poor kids who was knocked in one at a time with the pole he carried.

I hate water to this day and feel that I miss out so much. Even when I am in the bath I can't wash my face or hair in there. I have to get out and be able to feel my feet on the ground. I have made sure that both my children have had lessons and can swim for their safety sake as well as their own enjoyment.

I don't need to swim, I expect to be saved by people who want to swim.

I can just about swim, but the last time I was in a swimming baths (Glossop Rd I think it was) I was struggling to do a width of the pool when some great loony jumped in and landed right on my back, driving me down. I was so frightened but managed to get myself out. I have never been swimming since anywhere and I never will.

If your reading this an' cannot swim I recommend you learn...

The leisure pool at ponds forge is 1m deep. You can stand up at any time, perfect for learning.

i cant swim (i can just about hold my own in shallow water)

people say oooh but what if you fell in water sometime...?

Easy. I dont put myself in the situation where that could happen!

i dont feel ive missed out in anything in life by not being able to swim and i certainly wont be rushing to learn.

I can't swim because i'm sat at my computer typing this

i cant swim (i can just about hold my own in shallow water)

people say oooh but what if you fell in water sometime...?

Easy. I dont put myself in the situation where that could happen!

i dont feel ive missed out in anything in life by not being able to swim and i certainly wont be rushing to learn.

Are you capable of standing on your own two feet?

That is all you need to learn. 1m deep in the leisure pool, Ponds Forge Sheffield, you bang your bloody knees on the floor its that shallow. Ideal for learning, there's lifeguards and plenty of Sheffield folk. When thee've learnt, go next door to the olympic pool, 3m deep and 50m long on a good day.

Its £4 a go, so stay for a few hours and get your moneys worth!

Bit expensive swimming and Sheffield won't pay for the OAPs and children to have it for free, so it's nice and quiet like. If you ask me, it would be better for all to have it for free, but seen as they knocked down half the baths in Sheff, we haven't the capacity!

I can swim but i always need to stay near the edge as im terried of water, and i aways have to stay away from other swimmers. Because of this i never go.

I cant swim our school used to go to a swimming baths on Sutherland road off Petre Street somewhere.Our instructor was a Mr Scott he was basically a sadist he used to line all the non swimmers up at the deep end with one of those polystyrene boards that didnt float ( well keep you a float) and one by one push you really hard into the pool he knocked the wind out of your sails before you even hit the water. Then as you were fighting for breathe and near drowning grabbing for the edge he would push you back out with a big pole. I used to get my Mum to do me a note to say I had a verruca because I just couldnt face that every week, even now I cant put my head under water.