Can anybody make clothes?

Now summertime is here my kids are into summer uniform. I like to change their dresses every day but to do this I would need about 6 dresses at least. At an average of £8-£10 per dress that is a lot of dosh. I am thinking of trying to make some as I'm sure that it would work out cheaper.

I have basis sewing skills. Would I need 2 patterns for 2 sizes and are patterns expensive. Would it be easy to find yellow/white gingham.:?

Hi,

I make clothes, I am looking to get patterns for my little one. Our local fabric shop currently has an onslaught of Gingham at the moment in various colours.

On sizes it depends on the pattern. Generally one pattern will cover all sizes for children, on the other hand they are often split into two sperate packs as they are unable to accomodate. It depends what you are looking for.

Patches in Hillsborough are closing down. They have a sale on patterns - 2 for £1 - but you are limited on the patterns and they finally close this Saturday.

Generally patterns are between £3 - £6 depending on company and pattern. Fabric shops do have offers from time to time so keep an eye out!

Give me a shout if you are stuck further. Dresses are a doddle really, try making flippin trousers!!

Moon Maiden

oh one large piece of advice. When you buy the patterns DO NOT cut them out.

It is much more cost effective to trace over the pattern. That way when the kids grow you don't have to buy a new pattern cos you ruined the old one.

The pattern part is the most time consuming and boring bit. Depending on size of the pattern pieces most can be traced using greaseproof paper.

Moon Maiden

• 3 weeks later...

A much cheaper option than buying patterns is to copy garments you already have. You need some big sheets of paper (broadsheet newspaper is good), a pin and a pencil/pen. Lay out the dress or whatever on the paper so one 'pattern piece' lies flat on the paper, then stab round the outline with the pin. Then just join up the pin holes with pencil. repeat for all the bits. For kids clothes it shouldn't matter about darts and stuff (which is where this method gets complicated!).

also check out charity shops for patterns and such - I have a good collection none of which cost me more than 50p. I also have a gorgeous 1930's Singer sewing machine, complete with manuals and attachments for £25 from Oxfam in Broomhill :D

• 1 year later...

Archived