Sheffield Bird Lovers (feathered variety)

I know this may be of no interest to people who don't like birds, but I went for a run to Redmires Reservoirs with my partner last night and it was absolutely stunning, so peaceful. I was just getting out of the car when I heard a cuckoo! It was so loud too and was calling for ages.

I was excited because its the first cuckoo I've heard this year and I kept wondering when I would.

Its just brings comfort to know that they are still around, as they have declined to so much over the years, it really is the sound of summer.

I also heard some willow warblers as well, I just think we are very lucky in Sheffield to be surround by such beautiful scenery and birds!!

Sounds lovely. Yes it is summer at last! :)

Ooohhh I've never heard a Cuckoo, I think they're quite horrid birds shoving other birds eggs from their nests and replacing their own with them, lazy devils.

I used to hear a cuckoo every year around us, but not heard one this year at all, maybe they are on the decline. always used to have flocks of lapwings (peewits) ariound here too, but dont see them now either

I used to hear a cuckoo every year around us, but not heard one this year at all, maybe they are on the decline. always used to have flocks of lapwings (peewits) ariound here too, but dont see them now either

Sounds like you're from a very rural area with the lapwings and stuff! I think cuckoos have declined since the last century, probably to do with agricultural methods, but I was reading on the RSPB website yesterday, and I think they are on the up again! They are classed as an 'amber species' on there, 'green' meaning the species is abundant, 'amber' meaning they have declined, but the figures are going up and 'red' meaning they are a threatened species.

I can't believe how many birds I've seen this year. I pretty sure I heard a nightjar the other evening when I went for a walk near Barlow, just down from Owler Bar Roundabout! :)

Hi!

My friend has 3 cockatiels, one grey, one yellow and one white! They are 6 years old, and very tame! Unfortunately, she can no longer keep these birds, due to her new son, having a bad chest and the birds triggering off asthma attacks

These birds have been very well looked after, and are in good health!

My friend is looking for someone who can give a home to these birds, pref with an avary as she would like them to be able to fly about again, as they have been able to until she had her son!

Please PM me if your interested!

Thanks

Kimbo x

Saw my first Swift this morning over Intake................SUMMER IS ON ITS WAY!!!!!

I saw my first one yesterday too, I love to see them arrive, it for me means summer is on it's way (hopefully)

We see loads here, I just wished they'd choose to nest under the eaves.

Our box is unused for the 1st time in 3 years and my tame robin who I fed mealworms too has disappeared, they've all deserted me this year!