YEDL digging up the road... at 1AM!

Had a particularly good night's sleep last night... was awoken several times by YEDL digging up our road! I'm sure a few other people in Swallownest were put out too!

From what I could tell, the digging started at about 10.30pm (at least that's when I first saw them) and lasted until at least 1am. Can they do this? Surely there's times when they cannot operate machines in residential areas??

To top it all off, they cut the power as well, meaning we had the joy of listening to about half a dozen burglar alarms going off for an hour!

They can't win can they. If they did this in the day people would be moaning about not being able to watsch Jeremy Kyle. I think they try and cause as little disruption as possible and they usually inform people that such work is going to be happenng.

Unless there's an emergency - no they cant usually do so. I've had British Gas & Yorkshire Water as well as Electricity working merrily away with their drills etc at equally ridiculous hours of the night. Not much fun - but in the case of the gas there was a serious leak one within 10-15 ft of my bedroom window! So as much as the noise was a distrubance, it was also a welcome relief.

The absolute worst time is doing non-urgent road works at 7.30am Sunday morning :rant:

They can't win can they. If they did this in the day people would be moaning about not being able to watsch Jeremy Kyle. I think they try and cause as little disruption as possible and they usually inform people that such work is going to be happenng.

I think stopping people sleeping is a bit worse than digging during the day!

It is only one night. We all like our electricity to be on don't we. Give them a break and put up with it.

You'd soon be complaining if the supply was off.

Sunday and Monday night this week, workmen were removing the crash barriers and the old streetlamps on the Parkway. At 1.30 am. WITH ANGLE GRINDERS :mad:

That made for a lovely nights kip....

I agree that an emergency like no leccy or forty foot geysers of water from a burst main requires prompt action, but grinding, banging and clanging into the early hours of the morning to remove lights and barriers is a bit off....