Horse killed at fair

"panicking horse drowned as its owner tried to force its head under water in front of horrified families.

It was dragged into a deep river at the famous Appleby Horse Fair despite its obvious terror.

Its callous owner wanted to observe the tradition of ducking each animal's head in the river.

Advertisement

As the horse thrashed about, horrified mums, dads and children sitting on the river bank yelled at the man to stop.

But the beast, restrained with a rope wound tightly around its sensitive nose, suddenly vanished beneath the surface.

As onlookers yelled "Get it out!" other horse owners formed a human chain in a vain bid to pull it to the surface.

Sadly, just 34 seconds after it entered the river Eden, the horse was dead. All the would-be rescuers could do was tug its body to the bank. The cruel thug, who was from a traveller family, fled - chased by gang of angry horse owners. The RSPCA was yesterday trying to trace him.

It was revealed he had bought the horse at the fair in Cumbria and been warned by its previous owner not to take it in the river as it had never been in water.

One witness said: "There are idiots who try to prove how hard they are by riding the horses through the deep part of the river.

"That poor horse - you could see the terror in its eyes. The man wasn't capable of handling it. This has ruined the fair for everyone here."

The annual fair dates back hundreds of years and attracts about 25,000 visitors.

Traditionally, Romany and traveller families bring horses to the fair. They wash them in the river, groom them - then race them before prospective buyers."

This is awful! and am outraged

This has really made my blood boil. Drowning would be too good for the heartless b*stard who did this, but I'd happily hold his head under water anyway. :mad:

I heard about this yesterday and my heart sank. I have been to Appleby a few times and seen the horses in the river and on the show road which is frightening to see. My first horse was rescued from his cruel owners at Appleby. The horses look healthy but their treatment leaves a lot to be desired. The RSPCA are always in attendance but they do nothing. My sister shouted at an RSPCA inspector one year, as he stood by and watched.

There have been many deaths, horse and human over the years due to the speed at which the horses are raced on a slippy country road, god help you if you get in the way! Unfortunatley I think the police will allow it to continue, if they didnt there would be big trouble from the travelling community.

It is so sad to here of this poor young horse. :rant: :rant: B***ds

Oh my god that's awful :o How can anyone be so damn cruel :rant:

I bet the horse had a heart attack, they are very nervous animals so to treat one like this is very cruel indeed.

What a terrifying way for the poor animal to die! I sincerely hope that the RSPCA and police catch up with the heartless person who pushed the petrified animal into the water- they surely must have enough witnesses who would provide statements of identification.

I'm sickened by this :(

I just can't say anything else - I hope he's caught and prosecuted but even if he is (which I doubt), I can't see him getting what he deserves :(

Scum like him don't deserve to breathe the same air as me.

the only way to prevent it is to stop the fair.(which i think should happen)

unfortunately all that will happen is that the romany/travellers will go elsewhere.The same thing happens in Ireland @ similar events.

these animals aren't pets to this community they are meat and money,they won't change their opinions. so the "normal" community will have to continue to watch in horror. just as they do at slaughter auctions.

is what they were doing

* note no horrible pics I promise.