Conversations in threads.

I agree that it is as bad as trolling, and I'm surprised at a couple of people in particular have not been given a short holiday yet.

I'm sure you would find (if you had access to the appropriate ways to check) that more than a couple of people have been given short holidays for this. The thing is that we don't talk to third parties about the particulars of a ban, so it's likely to have escaped people's notice when someone goes quiet for a coupld of days.

I'm sure you would find (if you had access to the appropriate ways to check) that more than a couple of people have been given short holidays for this. The thing is that we don't talk to third parties about the particulars of a ban, so it's likely to have escaped people's notice when someone goes quiet for a coupld of days.

Actually, I thought about it after I posted... and it does seem to be a bit quieter today, especially in the off topic/flirting department.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Actually, I thought about it after I posted... and it does seem to be a bit quieter today, especially in the off topic/flirting department.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Don't talk behind Pattricias back !:hihi:

Don't talk behind Pattricias back !:hihi:

I had better watch myself now hadnt I ? :D They are quite right of course.;)

wouldnt it be down to the person who started the thred to report this if they where so inclined. i aggree that it can be annoying but somtimes its nice to see a thred take on a life of its own and develope in such a way as to open up other related or unrelated issues.

wouldnt it be down to the person who started the thred to report this if they where so inclined. i aggree that it can be annoying but somtimes its nice to see a thred take on a life of its own and develope in such a way as to open up other related or unrelated issues.

I think I agree here. I don't mind it and find it part of the charm of the forum.

I think I agree here. I don't mind it and find it part of the charm of the forum.

Thank God for that !! :D Im one of the worst offenders, but I feel a surge of adrenalin every time I come on, and cant stop myself sometimes. Some of the threads are quite boring and they go on & on, its quite refreshing sometimes when someone just " jumps into" the thread, and shakes things up a bit. :D

I invited a Sheffield Forum poster to PM me earlier today. I'll admit I asked in an aggressive manner.

We exchanged PM's and I learned more about the SF Poster than I ever thought I would. The Poster probably (I hope) had the same experience too. The information interchange between us was constructive and pleasant.

Instead of feeling that particular poster was antagonistic generally on SF, I now realise we have much in common, and the poster is a very pleasant person and we have, in a way, common experiences of concern to both the poster and myself.

It's been a pleasure meeting the real person behind a username. I hope this person thinks the same about me too. :)

Last night, I had a similar experience with another SF Poster.

We exchanged PM's. The heated exchange played out on SF evaporated very quickly.

There's a lesson in this post. I hope people benefit from it on a personal level. :)

Use the PM facility...you'll meet the real person beyond the "spur of the moment" post. :)

I invited a Sheffield Forum poster to PM me earlier today. I'll admit I asked in an aggressive manner.

We exchanged PM's and I learned more about the SF Poster than I ever thought I would. The Poster probably (I hope) had the same experience too. The information interchange between us was constructive and pleasant.

Instead of feeling that particular poster was antagonistic generally on SF, I now realise we have much in common, and the poster is a very pleasant person and we have, in a way, common experiences of concern to both the poster and myself.

It's been a pleasure meeting the real person behind a username. I hope this person thinks the same about me too. :)

We exchanged PM's. The heated exchange played out on SF evaporated very quickly.

There's a lesson in this post. I hope people benefit from it on a personal level. :)

Use the PM facility...you'll meet the real person beyond the "spurof the moment" post. :)

I have to say, I completely agree with this. We are all just people sharing a forum, and there is no need to get upset and heated with people. Talk to each other through PM and see the person behind the posts.

Like I said before, sometimes we can all go off topic, and it can be part of the charm, but some people take it far too far. If a thread is boring, it needs to be left alone to disappear, not become a sycophantic love-in that has nothing to do with the original topic.

It really doesnt bother me, then again im the same on a forum as i am in real life. in real life i can start a conversation about one thing and have talked about a million different things before i realise i hadnt actually got round to the point of my original conversation. :D

Use the PM facility...you'll meet the real person beyond the "spur of the moment" post. :)

Excellent post, Shoeshine.

It's so very easy to misunderstand what someone is trying to say on here (and online in general, of course), and a lot of inter-personal conflict does seem to arise from people getting their wires crossed.

I've found that a lot of 'disagreements' can quickly be sorted out through PM, and as you say, it's a good opportunity to talk to the real person, rather than their SF persona.

StarSparkle