Conversations in threads.

Holidays have been handed out in the past and we're gearing up to hand out a few more.

It IS the same people,time after time.

They've been warned, and have been banned before. They scream the place down when they do get banned after a warning, but the damage that these chats do to SF has the potential to be substantial.

Just to put people in the picture - we get quite a few complaints from users, and we KNOW that some users have been driven away by some of the more 'adult' chats that have taken place.

We offer the Jokes section of SF where we are a little more liberal, and we also provide a chat room. When people simply hijack a thread for their little chats, they're being rude and disrespectful of other users on here.

Yesterday 2 people were banned for this. We've also start cleaning up threads. If it carries on, more people will have their accounts suspended.

However...the Mods can't be everywhere. If you see these chats - let us know. It's nice to get some support as well - we know from complaints from a minority of posters on here, and from some rather rude comments on another Forum, that the Mods who DO enforce the rules get called all the names under the sun, so thanks for the input here.

It really does my head in when people start conversations in threads. I know iv been known to do it in the past and ended up getting banned after an arguement with JoeP. But recently, theres the same people that are doing it on practically every thread they post on. Its like one goes to post, the rest fellow just to flirt/start an off topic conversation. Its frustrating when your trying to read ABOUT the topic, yet theres 3 pages of continuous flirting/chatting.

I confess, Iv done it before but now I dont post as much and just tend to lurk in the background, I find it really frustrating!

As JoeP says...

"< Chatroom is that way <"

I have to apologise if I have "gone off topic" at anypoint - You see I know my dad is a b*gger for it and sometimes when I log myself out on his PC - it stores in the cookies (Or whatever it is) and doesn't log me out properly... therefor my dad comes online and has his rants leaving me with the blame!!!

So anyway... this is my apology just in case!!!

It is very irritating, I posted on a thread recently and when I went to look back at it the next day there were several pages of late night, less than one sentence banter, it was complete nonsense which didn't relate to the topic. The nonsense is of no interest to anyone other than the people involved and usually doesn't make sense anyway. I'm not sure it is even of interest to the participants for more than a few seconds after it has been posted. There is a chatroom for that and I support any moves by admin to stop it.

Doesn't bother me, I just read on if I don't want to read the post. Over moderation would be much worse.

Doesn't bother me, I just read on if I don't want to read the post. Over moderation would be much worse.
It's not so bad if it just a few posts but when it's several pages of what was supposed to be an interesting topic at one point, it's irritating. Most threads go off at a tangent but that's different.

It's not so bad if it just a few posts but when it's several pages of what was supposed to be an interesting topic at one point, it's irritating. Most threads go off at a tangent but that's different.

Indeed. The odd few posts of OT banter on a thread is fine; the problem is when it turns into page after page of tedious flirt-fest which has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. As Darbees points out, most threads tend to evolve into discussion of something that's at least tangentially related to the topic in hand - just like any other conversation - but to hijack a thread for an irrelevant personal conversation is simply rude.

Just remove the offending posts?

What are your opinions on people having completely off topic conversations in threads?

Yes, it is warm for the time of year isn't it?

i hate it too when this happens....you feel then that you dont want to add your bit as the subjects gradually changed!!!

Its worse still if its been an interesting thread and you really need to know what others think too.

I think that most of us have gone slightly off topic sometimes on some thread or other, but it seems that over the past couple of months a few people have been starting threads about nonsense, and then using them as a chatroom. They usually revolve around sex/affairs/flirting to start with, and descend into a free-for-all chat session. It makes it very hard for people to add to these threads as they have gone completely off topic and into personal conversations.

I agree that it is as bad as trolling, and I'm surprised at a couple of people in particular have not been given a short holiday yet.

just back from holiday ! whats all this antagonism towards trolls ? just because we are small doesnt give you the right to pick on us :hihi: :hihi: