Who would your World XI football team be?

[GK] Petr Cech

[LB] Patrice Evra

[CB] Cannavaro

[CB] Rio Ferdinand

[RB] Maldini

[LM] Ronaldinho

[CM] Steven Gerrard

[CM] Kaka

[RM] C. Ronaldo

[FW] Drogba

[FW] Van nistelrooy

Subsitutes

[GK] Dida

[LB] Risse

[CB] Vidic

[M] Scholes

[FWD] Drogba

I'm puzzled... just who would this World XI play against...? :huh:

What is going on at full-back with all these teams? Riise, Heinze, Evra, Neville, Cole, Maldini....

None of them are great players (anymore in the case of Maldini). It's been clear that England have suffered with a lack of quality in depth for years but I can't believe no-one here has noticed any other overseas contenders in European or International competition who shine in comparison.

What is going on at full-back with all these teams? Riise, Heinze, Evra, Neville, Cole, Maldini....

None of them are great players (anymore in the case of Maldini). It's been clear that England have suffered with a lack of quality in depth for years but I can't believe no-one here has noticed any other overseas contenders in European or International competition who shine in comparison.

I picked Zambrotta! And I dont believe there is a better right back than Nevill around.

Someone else picked Miguel though.

As for Maldini at right back, words fail me.

His legs have gone for a start.

I picked Zambrotta! And I dont believe there is a better right back than Nevill around.

Someone else picked Miguel though.

As for Maldini at right back, words fail me.

His legs have gone for a start.

Zambrotta's a fair shout although I don't think he's the best defensively. I went for Grosso who's ousted Zambrotta from the left back role for Italy.

Gary Neville is a decent solid player, no more. How often does he get a man of the match award for England? (I don't think he gets many for Man U either).

It is a testimony to the lack of competition that the nearest contenders are Micah Richards who has played only 40 odd league games and wants to be a centre back and Luke Young who didn't make it at CB.

People obviously see more English football than any other so it's hardly surprising there's a preponderance of England based players in peoples teams.

As for the full backs people have picked, Evra has been superb this season and Neville has been superb for a very long time, their quality was underlined by just how badly United United missed them when they were injured towards the end of the season. Cole had a poor season with injuries and poor form but for any of the 3 seasons before this one he would have been in my 11.

Zidane-Zidane-Zidane-Zidane-Zidane-Zidane-Zidane-Zidane-Zidane-Zidane-Zidane

:D

People obviously see more English football than any other so it's hardly surprising there's a preponderance of England based players in peoples teams.

As for the full backs people have picked, Evra has been superb this season and Neville has been superb for a very long time, their quality was underlined by just how badly United United missed them when they were injured towards the end of the season. Cole had a poor season with injuries and poor form but for any of the 3 seasons before this one he would have been in my 11.

I don't have much of a problem with ManU supporters picking Neville tbh, I think he's very effective playing for a team he's been a part of for so long. I do think that when you see him on the international stage and in Europe to an extent he looks solid but no way superb.

The argument against Ashley is that he got found out defensively against the better teams in Europe. Since he's tightened up defensively he no longer seems to pose such a threat going forward. It will be interesting to see what he's like this season if injury free.

As for Evra, he's only had 29 PL starts and 5 caps; is it not a touch early to be lauding him as the best left back in the world?

I don't have much of a problem with ManU supporters picking Neville tbh, I think he's very effective playing for a team he's been a part of for so long. I do think that when you see him on the international stage and in Europe to an extent he looks solid but no way superb.

When was the last time any England player was 'superb' 'on the international stage' particularly attacking players? Neville may not have set the world alight when playing for England but he and the rest of the back four are generally solid which is more than can be said for most of those playing further up the field.

The argument against Ashley is that he got found out defensively against the better teams in Europe. Since he's tightened up defensively he no longer seems to pose such a threat going forward. It will be interesting to see what he's like this season if injury free.

When do you think he got 'found out'? From what I recall he still seemed pretty good for Arsenal in Europe last season and defensively has for a long time been better able to deal with the likes of Ronaldo than most other defenders.

As for Evra, he's only had 29 PL starts and 5 caps; is it not a touch early to be lauding him as the best left back in the world?

He was by all accounts very good in France as well but anyway I'm not 'lauding him as the best left back' he's simply the best I'm really aware of at the minute. He was good this season not imperious like the likes of Ronaldo & Drogba who had amazing seasons and I don't doubt that it's quite possible others out there are at or above his level at the moment.

When was the last time any England player was 'superb' 'on the international stage' particularly attacking players? Neville may not have set the world alight when playing for England but he and the rest of the back four are generally solid which is more than can be said for most of those playing further up the field.

I grant you that England's style isn't geared to making players look great but is this a chicken and egg situation? Is it that the qualities of the players dictate the style of play? Would a great fullback (Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Lizerazu, Maldini etc) impose their game whatever the team tactics?

When do you think he got 'found out'? From what I recall he still seemed pretty good for Arsenal in Europe last season and defensively has for a long time been better able to deal with the likes of Ronaldo than most other defenders.

No, he's always been quick and athletic so shackling Ronaldo is playing to his strengths. Where he got found out time and again in Europe was the diagonal ball in behind him. Luckily for Cole there aren't many players like Deco or Aimar in the Prem.

I grant you that England's style isn't geared to making players look great but is this a chicken and egg situation? Is it that the qualities of the players dictate the style of play? Would a great fullback (Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Lizerazu, Maldini etc) impose their game whatever the team tactics?

Many people seem to consider Beckham, Gerrard & Lampard 'great', yet they've put in anonymous performances for England for years, I find it rather confusing as to why you are focussing on Neville in this regard.

No, he's always been quick and athletic so shackling Ronaldo is playing to his strengths. Where he got found out time and again in Europe was the diagonal ball in behind him. Luckily for Cole there aren't many players like Deco or Aimar in the Prem.

Well I guess we'll just have to see how well he does for Chelsea in Europe next season won't we.

Many people seem to consider Beckham, Gerrard & Lampard 'great', yet they've put in anonymous performances for England for years, I find it rather confusing as to why you are focussing on Neville in this regard.

None of the former appeared in half a dozen 'World XIs', (Beckham and Lampard have appeared in none).