Who Remembers The Wapentake?

A rocker in a pub called the Angel in Durham challanged my friend to a drinking competition and just couldn't handle it when Nigel [my mate] suggested Newky Brown and then drank the northerner under the table.

Arrgh Infamy!!!!!!!

Could I really drink that much back then??!!

Still, with a nickname like 'Dancer' what did we expect:hihi: :hihi:

Seems as though there are quite a few forumers out there who remember the wap fondly, I wonder how many of the youngsters nowadays will remember their city centre drinking haunts with the same sort of nostalgia.

Till Man I don't remember you as an excessive drinker unlike some [who I wont name] but a challenge was given and the gaunntlet had to be picked up.

Dancers mate trying to get the better on me with cider, I think not!!!

well yes a fantastic place got done for drinking under age 1976 shock horror but originally started my underage drinking campaign in the buccaneer, moved to Nelson and moved around Museum, Minerva, The Raven. Once sat next to Joe Cocker in the upstais bar at the Nelson.

Very happy days and you all right about the bogs.

:banana:

I worked in the Wap from abount 1984 to 1987 and loved it.

I worked Saturday nights and Saturday lunchtime (when you got a free dinner from the grosvenor upstairs),and Tuesday nights. I did lots of overtime too.

I've since left Sheffield for the heady heights of West Yorkshire and was absolutely gutted when I found out it had closed.

:(

I miss it. :( Happy days :)

agreed

*cries*

We must have seen each other hundreds of times as I was a regular between 1971 ish (after the Buccaneer) to 1981 when I left Sheffield.

We used to stand at the end of the bar furthest from the entrance, we were all Wednesdayites, although one of my mates Stuart Beresford was a Unitedite.

The 'gang' were myself (Keith Marshall), Pat Griffin, Greg Tweed, Brian ?, Tony (Jinxy) Jenkinson, Mad Alec Bowie, Paul Wood, Mark (Shears) Burkinshaw, Geoff Waller, Chris Hardy Andy ?, Dave Trundler, Mick Hatfield to name a few.

Geroge Webster used to do the music before he got the Limit.

We had a bit of a reunion a few years ago and Olga was beside herself with laughter seeing our baldy heads and beer guts etc.

Happy Days

Did Greg Tweed live at Mosborough? and is Olga stil around? she must be 90 is she is still alive :D

Definition of Wapentake:-

Wapentakes and wards

A wapentake is a term derived from the Old Norse, the rough equivalent of an Anglo-Saxon hundred. The word denotes an administrative meeting place, typically a crossroads or a ford in a river where attendance or voting would be denoted or conducted by the show of weapons.

The counties of Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Rutland and Lincolnshire were divided into wapentakes, just as most of the remainder of England was divided into hundreds.

In Yorkshire, a Norse wapentake usually replaced several Anglo-Saxon hundreds. This process was complete by 1086 in the North and West Ridings, but continued in the East Riding until the mid 12th century.

In some counties, such as Leicestershire, the wapentakes recorded at the time of the Domesday Book evolved into hundreds later on. In others, such as Lincolnshire, the term remained in use.

The term ward was used in a similar manner in the four northern counties of Cumberland, Durham, Northumberland and Westmorland.

^^ :suspect:

We know it used to be posted on a sign by the bar.

definition of wapentake: bar where nobody cared what you looked like, what you wore and usually you could have a bloody good laugh without a bouncer peering over your shoulder :D

What a clever little person you are, others who use the forum may not know.

^^ :suspect:

We know it used to be posted on a sign by the bar.

definition of wapentake: bar where nobody cared what you looked like, what you wore and usually you could have a bloody good laugh without a bouncer peering over your shoulder :D

a bouncer peeing over yer shoulder?

errrrrrm