Who Remembers The Wapentake?

My Uncle lived on Fichtes Strasse He would be well into his 80's now. He once one the champion beer drinker of Germany. The competition was in a bar that sold be from pretty much very corner of the world. He had to blind taste them and say what they were and where from :) he also played Kegel for Germany. My opa was indeed the headmaster of the Schule in Hover and we stayed in the house opposite the school. We used to get the boat train from Sheffield (Midland) in the early days to Harwich then the overnight ferry to the Hoek van Holland then on to Hannover. Lot different in the early days. get off the train then hand the tickets to a bloke sat in what was basically a garden shed then on to the customs. Cars in those days were loaded on to the boats by crane, great to watch as a young kid.

Dominic is still around but I don't see him much, I went out with his sister Claire about 15 years ago. He has two brothers, Martin who lives here and yes Thomas who moved to Berlin years ago. There hasn't been a decent gig at the Vier Linden for years, years ago I saw the Stranglers there and Cockney rebel. I remember seeing the Stranglers at the Jolly joker. Dominic is a year or two younger than me, about 54 I think. I don't know Doddy but he is still around and has the occasional Be bop revival night at the Vier Linden. The new Be bop is now a fitness studio I think.

Does anyone know how to contact Ken who was the DJ in the Wapentake, I need to see if he can do a birthday next March.

I used to collect the glasses in the Wapentake at weekends in the early 80s.

Thanks if you can help

5 minutes ago, floydandjoni said:

Does anyone know how to contact Ken who was the DJ in the Wapentake, I need to see if he can do a birthday next March.

Thanks if you can help

sure i remember a Floyd from the wap.....i had a green mohican (later in green dreads) hung around with the thrashers round the table football, or in the booths with the likes of soldier and chris long.

12 hours ago, floydandjoni said:

Thanks if you can help

He is a good friend of DJ Lez who you will probably find DJ'ing in the Yorkshireman, you could leave a message with him. 

Hi. For some reason I googled Stuart Beresford   from way back.. Anyone remember Steve and Maggie Hague? The Buccaneer and the Raven were our main haunts.

On 06/09/2019 at 22:14, floydandjoni said:

Thanks if you can help

Ken Hall - You'll find him on Facebook

Did anybody get the recent book and t shirt about the Wapentake? think they sold out so if you didnt im afraid i dont think you cant.

On 12/10/2004 at 20:18, dodger said:

Good God!!!

I feel ancient after seeing those photos. Anyone remember the Saturday afternoons in the peace gardens following a session at the wap- black pudding and cider fuelled!!

Oh yes! I can't believe we still exist!!

On 21/09/2021 at 12:42, melthebell said:

Did anybody get the recent book and t shirt about the Wapentake? think they sold out so if you didnt im afraid i dont think you cant.

Late reply but only just spotted this thread. Yeah I got the signed edition Wapentake book and the T shirt for Christmas. Also got the Rebels book. I remember Soldier and Chris Long. The latter grew up a few streets away from me, if memory serves he had a tattoo reading “Sheffield’s number 1 punk “ or something similar. There are a lot of memories in those books if you can manage to find a copy 👍

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

Late reply but only just spotted this thread. Yeah I got the signed edition Wapentake book and the T shirt for Christmas. Also got the Rebels book. I remember Soldier and Chris Long. The latter grew up a few streets away from me, if memory serves he had a tattoo reading “Sheffield’s number 1 punk “ or something similar. There are a lot of memories in those books if you can manage to find a copy 👍

Aye used to hang around with Soldier and Chris long (10 men) in the peace gardens and Wap (near the pinball machine)

Yeah we used to do the Saturday afternoon routine in the peace gardens too. Maybe a wander up to Impulse records as well. I remember the self produced punk albums had “Pay no more than £1.99 for this record “ printed on them. Bargain when other stuff was a fiver.