Who Remembers The Wapentake?

got me on that one ,i'm colour blind:wow: only joking mate ,can't remember:)

Hi Merrydown , our lot used to start in the Minerva , Nelson dive bar ,Albert (in corridor) then down to the Wap. It was always SNAKEBITES all round in those days . cant have been you but i do remember a dark haired barmaid , but then again things were a bit haizey back then. Mid 70s to mid 80s .Motorbikes parked outside then a blast up to motorway services till the sun came up .Good Days.

The barmaid you and Steve remember was probably Molly, a pretty girl with lovely long, dark, wavy hair.

I'm sure I must have known you then but can't place you yet. Who did you knock around with? Did you used to go to the Woolley Edge Services?

now i remember you merrydown,we were always just to the left of the juke box,best place to stash the afghans.usually about 6 of us .did you go in with a couple of mates ? we were always playing darts in the minerva ,sometimes pool.i remember you behind the wap bar,could never have done that. i go in the yorkshireman on burgess street when i get the chance usually with my youngest lad ,i say lad he is 30 this year. :)

I think you've got who I am now.:) Yes, I used to be in with mates but not always the same ones. I can't remember the last time I was in any of those pubs - well over ten years ago but we usually saw a few people from the old days. Sad to think of the Wap, our bit of history, no longer being there. Have you seen it since it has been demolished? I think I would burst into tears like I did when I saw they'd knocked the Albert down.:cry:

---------- Post added 12-02-2017 at 07:20 ----------

[/color]

do you remember the barnsley lads that started coming in the minerva :?: kenny,baz,bez,budgie and mick. we became good mates with them all and had some good nights in barnsley after that.:)

Yes, of course I remember the Barnsley lads. In fact, a few years after my first marriage ended in divorce, I was on a rare night out and bumped into Kenny who was on a stag do. We celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in September. :wow:

The barmaid you and Steve remember was probably Molly, a pretty girl with lovely long, dark, wavy hair.

I'm sure I must have known you then but can't place you yet. Who did you knock around with? Did you used to go to the Woolley Edge Services?

I think you've got who I am now.:) Yes, I used to be in with mates but not always the same ones. I can't remember the last time I was in any of those pubs - well over ten years ago but we usually saw a few people from the old days. Sad to think of the Wap, our bit of history, no longer being there. Have you seen it since it has been demolished? I think I would burst into tears like I did when I saw they'd knocked the Albert down.:cry:

---------- Post added 12-02-2017 at 07:20 ----------

[/color]

do you remember the barnsley lads that started coming in the minerva :?: kenny,baz,bez,budgie and mick. we became good mates with them all and had some good nights in barnsley after that.

Yes, of course I remember the Barnsley lads. In fact, a few years after my first marriage ended in divorce, I was on a rare night out and bumped into Kenny who was on a stag do. We celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in September. :wow:

Wow Jean,how cool is that ,i have'nt seen any of those guys since early 80's,what a character Kenny was ,and still is i would imagine :) when we first met in minerva we were playing darts and he said what are we lakein at ! i just looked at him and said eh what ? he laughed and replied our word for playing ,that was it i still say lakein to this day :. i'm sure he would remember me,has he still got the same barnsley scarf :roll: My good lady and myself have our 36th wedding anniversary in september too ! we met in't penthouse ,and on our first date ,we were sat downstairs in the nelson and kenny and rest of the barnsley lads and my mates all came in one by one ,said hi steve ,got their beers and sat round us !! i think she felt a bit intimidated but soon got chatting to em:) We walked near cambridge street a couple of weeks back,its all cordened off now because they were demolishing the grosvenor ,nothing left of wap.It's like some of our past has been wiped away :( always have the memories though .

i remember when the albert got pulled down jean, couple of weeks later we met as usual and we got a couple of cans a piece and sat in the rubble for old times sake (till some copper cleared us off ):roll:i used to love that back room.

---------- Post added 13-02-2017 at 08:12 ----------

i remember when the albert got pulled down jean, couple of weeks later we met as usual and we got a couple of cans a piece and sat in the rubble for old times sake (till some copper cleared us off ):roll:i used to love that back room.

sorry forgot to ask ,do you live in barnsley now ?

Kenny does remember you Steve. Kenny hasn't changed much, he's still a character, still follows Barnsley and still likes his beer. He's put a bit of weight on and lost most of his hair but you'd still know him if you saw him. I moved to Barnsley and it took ages for me to pick up the lingo. They speak a different language to us that's for sure although I think I'm pretty fluent now.

We haven't seen much of the other Barnsley lads either, other than Baz who we see knocking around Hoyland occasionally. Boz still lives locally but is like a recluse and we haven't seen him for years. The last we heard of Budgie he was still living in Sheffield and still with Sue and I think Mick moved to Scotland.

Well done, 36 years wed is quite an achievement.

Ay up bothamlad and merrydown. Enjoying this trip down memory lane :), Yes wooly edge services was a regular stop off . I knocked about with a few bikers in those day a few from the Blackburn area of Sheffield / Rotherham and from the Southey area. . I was at school with Steve and saw him often in those days when we both had long hair :cool:. im looking forward to meeting up with him soon to visit some of the old pubs (if any still exist) .

STEVE that band was GONG just been looking at the old LPs , Got a shock when i saw how much some of them are worth , so wonder how much Jeffs old T shirt will be worth :huh:

Jim.

---------- Post added 13-02-2017 at 18:48 ----------

Steve ,prompted by this conversation ive just been looking thru some of my old biking gear and found my old BULLET BELT do you remember them , it must be 40 yrs old . All brass except for the 4 at the front that were silver. Thats got to rival Jeffs shirt , what have you saved. Bit ive still got the Bike Bug , got a garage full.:D

Jim.

Edited by jad279
add name

jad279 I spent many a night at Wooley Edge after the Wap or Penthouse. Can you remember a biker from Barnsley called Ogri?

Have I got it right that you're called Jim? I still can't place you but my husband Kenny remembers you. It's nice to reminisce about those times but a shame my memory has gotten so hazy.

Lots of water gone under the bridge since then and as i remember there was quite a crowd going up to wooley edge ,But sure we must have met up at some time , i always had my wife on the back in those days . I still ride but she has now had enough. Yes i do remember OGRI and 1 or 2 from Barnsley.

Jim.

Kenny does remember you Steve. Kenny hasn't changed much, he's still a character, still follows Barnsley and still likes his beer. He's put a bit of weight on and lost most of his hair but you'd still know him if you saw him. I moved to Barnsley and it took ages for me to pick up the lingo. They speak a different language to us that's for sure although I think I'm pretty fluent now.

We haven't seen much of the other Barnsley lads either, other than Baz who we see knocking around Hoyland occasionally. Boz still lives locally but is like a recluse and we haven't seen him for years. The last we heard of Budgie he was still living in Sheffield and still with Sue and I think Mick moved to Scotland.

Well done, 36 years wed is quite an achievement.

thanks for that,i suppose it is these days,we met in 79,still going strong .loads of bars have come and gone in the last ten years .nelson gave up the ghost in 2012/13 i think.it became the rockin chair ,live bands downstairs but closed now i believe.Les the d.j. is still going strong at the yorkshireman behind john lewis on burgess street,and there is still dove and rainbow in hartshead square.

Hiya all....I remember some of those Barnsley names...as I frequented the Wapp in early/mid 70`s .....Jimmy and cousin Alan..must be same Kenny !!..

Arker..and others...where are they now??..also went to Nelson a lot and bumped into barman in a pub in Birmingham a few years ago!

Ay up bothamlad and merrydown. Enjoying this trip down memory lane :), Yes wooly edge services was a regular stop off . I knocked about with a few bikers in those day a few from the Blackburn area of Sheffield / Rotherham and from the Southey area. . I was at school with Steve and saw him often in those days when we both had long hair :cool:. im looking forward to meeting up with him soon to visit some of the old pubs (if any still exist) .

STEVE that band was GONG just been looking at the old LPs , Got a shock when i saw how much some of them are worth , so wonder how much Jeffs old T shirt will be worth :huh:

Jim.

---------- Post added 13-02-2017 at 18:48 ----------

Steve ,prompted by this conversation ive just been looking thru some of my old biking gear and found my old BULLET BELT do you remember them , it must be 40 yrs old . All brass except for the 4 at the front that were silver. Thats got to rival Jeffs shirt , what have you saved. Bit ive still got the Bike Bug , got a garage full.:D

Jim.

yep,i remember those bullet belts jim,the last bullet belt i saw was when we were going through airport security check at east mids airport.A lass had one on and expected to get through x-ray imageing :roll:she got it confiscated .She was in histerics ,but bloody hell some people :loopy: The only things i have saved are my L.p's. I often have a rummage through them .

Steve , let me know if you got my PM , i send messages but sent record says non sent :huh: