Who Remembers The Wapentake?

I bought my afghan coat from Pippys too but it didn't last long. My mam heard they were coming into the country full of fleas so she took it into the garden and set fire to it. I'd only had it for a few weeks.:mad:

Bothamlad, I think we knew each other back then? From the way you described yourself I'm pretty sure I knew you and I recognised several of the names you mentioned. I'm called Jean and worked behind the bar in the Wap for a while. I probably knew quite a few posters on this thread, if not by name but by sight if they frequented the Wap from mid to late 70s.:)

I had an afghan coat I got mine from Pippy's as well think they were the only place to go! I wore it for about 4 years I think it stank in the end I used to put it on the floor in the Wap and it was covered in beer by the end! I don't know what happened to it!

i remember we all had the afghan coats ,we just put them in a pile when we were in the wap,they never went missing,but they did end up with a lot of beer stains.i got a really good belt buckle from pippy's,levi two horse one,had it for years.

---------- Post added 11-02-2017 at 08:48 ----------

I bought my afghan coat from Pippys too but it didn't last long. My mam heard they were coming into the country full of fleas so she took it into the garden and set fire to it. I'd only had it for a few weeks.:mad:

Bothamlad, I think we knew each other back then? From the way you described yourself I'm pretty sure I knew you and I recognised several of the names you mentioned. I'm called Jean and worked behind the bar in the Wap for a while. I probably knew quite a few posters on this thread, if not by name but by sight if they frequented the Wap from mid to late 70s.:)

hi merrydown,i'm sure we did know each other ,did you have dark wavey hair,was it late 70's you worked behind the bar ? there were so many regular faces i would see,have a chat too but not know names,it didn't seem to matter,from 75 i was in there almost every night.nelson first then fri&sat on to penthouse !! is your user name inspired by cider :)

Edited by nikki-red

One dark night many moons ago I was making my way to the entrance of the Wapentake,just as I reached the door a womans voice shouts out "Hoy beardie two for ten!"."What?"says I,she repeated it again and the penny dropped,it was two ladies of the night stood outside the Barley Corn!.They were offering sex with them both for £10,"No thanks luv!" says I and beat it downstairs!.I told one of my mates who told me he had the same offer 20 minutes earlier,so it wasn,t my manly charm tempting them after all!.

Funny how certain groups of people had there own places to stand in the WAP, I used to stand thru the door and to the left , some used to stand thru the door turn right where i think there was a table football machine or something and some right down at the bottom where it wasnt as wide , and stick to these places religiously . I to remember the dark haired girl from behind the bar.

hi merrydown,i'm sure we did know each other ,did you have dark wavey hair,was it late 70's you worked behind the bar ? there were so many regular faces i would see,have a chat too but not know names,it didn't seem to matter,from 75 i was in there almost every night.nelson first then fri&sat on to penthouse !! is your user name inspired by cider :)

No, I had fair/blondish straight hair. I think it was around 78/79 that I worked behind the bar in the Wap but before that I worked in the Minerva for a few months. I think I started going in the Wap around mid 70s until the early 80s and usually stood down by the dj box. We usually met up in the Minerva, then down to the Nelson, up to the Albert until it closed down and then down the wap. I often went to the Penthouse too.

You're quite right, my username is indeed inspired by what used to be my favourite tipple.:D

now i remember you merrydown,we were always just to the left of the juke box,best place to stash the afghans.usually about 6 of us .did you go in with a couple of mates ? we were always playing darts in the minerva ,sometimes pool.i remember you behind the wap bar,could never have done that. i go in the yorkshireman on burgess street when i get the chance usually with my youngest lad ,i say lad he is 30 this year. :)

Edited by bothamlad

Hi Merrydown , our lot used to start in the Minerva , Nelson dive bar ,Albert (in corridor) then down to the Wap. It was always SNAKEBITES all round in those days . cant have been you but i do remember a dark haired barmaid , but then again things were a bit haizey back then. Mid 70s to mid 80s .Motorbikes parked outside then a blast up to motorway services till the sun came up .Good Days.

god those snakekebites jim ,we used to overdo it a tad:D black velvet was a good one aswell !!

---------- Post added 12-02-2017 at 07:20 ----------

now i remember you merrydown,we were always just to the left of the juke box,best place to stash the afghans.usually about 6 of us .did you go in with a couple of mates ? we were always playing darts in the minerva ,sometimes pool.i remember you behind the wap bar,could never have done that. i go in the yorkshireman on burgess street when i get the chance usually with my youngest lad ,i say lad he is 30 this year. :)

do you remember the barnsley lads that started coming in the minerva :?: kenny,baz,bez,budgie and mick. we became good mates with them all and had some good nights in barnsley after that.:)

Yes Steve , i think i do . I can remember a lad who went into the Minerva who used to wear leopard print trousers and other such stuff Andy Maran springs to mind ?. I saw my 1st pool table in the Minerva , i think it had holes not pockets and a good juke box.:confused:

i think you're right about the table jim,was better when they brought in the two larger tables with pockets ,plenty of space to play too,don't recall the andy guy,but you cant remember everyone .

Yes ,the table had 3 white and 3 red holes . So not only the ball colour but sides as well came into play . Did it have white and yellow ball?