Who Remembers The Wapentake?

We had similar mates. Mine used to carry five pints in his hands and a bag of cheese and onion crisps between cheeks of his arse. That kind of pub.

Ah The Wap. Used to meet in there around 6.30pm and if was a stag night, down to the Mucky Duck. Any other time we did the West St shuffle calling in all the pubs on Division St and back down West St. Those were the days.

it was always useful to know a few of the guys on the door ,we could always bypass the queue.About six of us would go in every night of the week in the mid 70s so classed as regulars i suppose !!! warm newci brown though :gag: at least it couldnt be watered down:D

I know one of the blokes who worked the doors in the Wap he also painted the mural,name of Trev.

i do recall trev,big and smalll mick i think,one of my best mates gary north had a spell on the door too(fine bass player to boot) we all had the long hair and tha afghan coats were good for winter.mates were andy clarke 6ft 6 blonde hair ,so you couldnt miss him,dave trundler(trunny),kev kendall(not so long hair but long enough)and myself steve wild always had a beard on the go and a penchant for wearing crosses(bit of a sabbath thing) gary as mentioned and tony goonie before he worked behind the bar .

Edited by bothamlad

Bloody afgan coats , we used to stink like Dog Otters ,but nobody gave a toss . Got mine from Pippys not far from the Wap. I can remember you in yours with a headband and the big Sabbbath cross.

Wish i had some pics .

Bloody afgan coats , we used to stink like Dog Otters ,but nobody gave a toss . Got mine from Pippys not far from the Wap. I can remember you in yours with a headband and the big Sabbbath cross.

Wish i had some pics .

same here jim,got mine from pippys ,had to take mine back though after the 1st wkend of wearing it the arm was hanging off:mad: took it back and got a much better one, darker in colour. They were versatile though good blanket when you crashed at an all nighter !!!

I would have thought the arm hanging off would have made you look cool, i ended up cutting the arms off mine and then cut it shorter then turned it inside out and wore it on the bike. Now that is cool.

PS i have replied to your PM.

Wish i had some pics .

That strikes a chord. On the hippy trail in the 70s a Japanese travelling companion of mine bought one at source in Afghanistan. It wasn't the full length type, just a jacket.

By the time we reached Malaysia he had to sling it after comments from people on the bus. :)

That strikes a chord. On the hippy trail in the 70s a Japanese travelling companion of mine bought one at source in Afghanistan. It wasn't the full length type, just a jacket.

By the time we reached Malaysia he had to sling it after comments from people on the bus. :)

well i bet the jacket was ripe after all that travelling :gag: must be a couple of thousand miles !! quite fancied the jacket length myself back in the day.i wore my coat until it fell to bits,never replaced it though.

I had an afghan coat I got mine from Pippy's as well think they were the only place to go! I wore it for about 4 years I think it stank in the end I used to put it on the floor in the Wap and it was covered in beer by the end! I don't know what happened to it!