Who Remembers The Wapentake?

I couldn't see the pics :-( but remember it well. I used to drink there then go to work at the Nelson then go to work at the Penthouse, with big Mick and little Mick on the door. Ken DJ and Dave May.

We used to stand near the juke box with the 'football crowd'

We were there for Olgas leaving do and it was a great night but the end of an era.

If you are referring to, or if you remember a bunch of Wednesdayites who hung around the end of the bar near the DJ, there was Greg, Brian, Jinxie, Pat, Paul, Geoff, Trunny and me (Keith)

I am still in touch with most of them although I haven't lived in UK for 28 years

Stuart Beresford was a friend of mine - despite supporting the Evil Ones

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=104416608665

19th September 2009 - Wap Reunion organised on facebook.

"Official!! Free entry to everyone attending Wapentake Reunion Sept 19th.

Steve Rodgers wrote

at 12:16 on 07 September 2009

A big thank you to the owners Paul & Tracy as they have said everyone in the group will gain free entry on the night, all you have to do is the following...

Go to the pictures/photos section, go to the free pass flyer, print this out, colour or B&W, dosnt matter, hand this in at the reception and you will get into the Casbah free on the night. One pass per person, no limit to how many you print off and give to your friends that want to come .

If you do have any request or songs you really really wanna hear on the night then feel free to let us know.

Hope you all have a good one...

Cheers

Steve "

----------------------------------------

To follow on from this there is another reunion at the Casbah (It'll always be the Wap to me too) on the 19th of Dec 2009. Follow the FB link above and you will find details. The last one was okay, not hugely busy... being as this thread has 35 pages I hope that some of you will be able to make it for some pre-xmas drinks.

Great thread - very interesting reading.....

Edited by AngieLH

I have some old super 8mm home movie film taken inside the Wapentake during 1982, but its very dark, I keep meaning to digitize it and 'correct' the lighting...you can make out Dj ken, Olga and Marge, and 2 of the other regular bar staff, plus the bouncer with long blond hair.... It also shows the peace gardens as it was, Pippys, and other 'hippie' haunts like bringing it all back home on Glossop Road, and that shop that sold records and posters near Cole brothers, now a bar on the corner.....plus it shows fargate fountains, messing about on the old town hall roof, and hordes of rockers/hippies laying around in the peace gardens summer 82 with those 99 pence bottles of cider from International Supermarket across the road.......I MUSt find it!!!! You can't move for Led Zeppelin, Whitesnake or AC/DC T shirts!!!!!

You HAVE to find this and let me know when it is posted!!

i remember he wap well... mainly as it was full of 'bikers' who didn't own a bike lol one of the reasons i didn't wear a leather at the time was so i wasn't associated wit these posers...

I don't see why wearing a leather makes anyone a poser it was just a piece of clothing that identified the fact that you were probably into rock music. Also it is certainly feasible that a lot of people who did indeed ride bikes and so wore a leather might of been sensible enough to know when to leave their bike at home especially if they wanted a drink

i remember he wap well... Mainly as it was full of 'bikers' who didn't own a bike lol one of the reasons i didn't wear a leather at the time was so i wasn't associated wit these posers...

lol i remember the wap lol stunk of stale beer and fags nasty little hovel but we did have a good laugh in there

i enjoyed going in the wap but there was an element of wannabe in there. i too went to the last night of the previous incarnation... whose name escapes me but was on leopold st. (yea i know its on ere somewhere but can't be bothered trollin thru all the posts! lol)

anyone ever go in at lunchtime? culture shock! was an ordinairy pub then!

I moved up to Sheffield from Stoke on Trent in the early 80s & the Wapentake was a great place then. Never any (serious) trouble, just rockers enjoying themselves during the last days of NWOBHM before the cult of attempting to look like a member of Motley Crue. I saw it recently - quite sad. Is that what people mean by 'progress'?

Does anyone remember Chick? He was a regular in the Wap around the late 80's/early 90's. I've just heard that he was found dead in his flat a couple of days ago. I think someone is organising a bit of a rememberance do in the peace Gardens, next saturday at midday.

let me know about this if it goes ahead please

Does anyone remember Chick? He was a regular in the Wap around the late 80's/early 90's. I've just heard that he was found dead in his flat a couple of days ago. I think someone is organising a bit of a rememberance do in the peace Gardens, next saturday at midday.

yeah i got messaged about him earlier

scottish biker punk if anybody thinks they remember him

RIP Chick

another one bites the dust