Who Remembers The Wapentake?

People who went in the Wap did frequent other places as well, but at least all of the pubs I've mentioned were pubs in which bikers\ rockers felt comfortable, unlike an earlier post in this thread. If you like I could develop things further with the White Lion at Heeley, The penguin at Shiregreen, THe Wordsworth Taveern at Parsons Cross, The cross Sythes at Totley, The Pomona at Ecclesall, The John o gaunt on Blackstock road, the Hornblower in town, I could be found in most of these pubs at various times sometimes with a booted female to boot.

I spent many an interesting hour in the Wap.

One thing I remember was the struggle to move your feet after a while. If you stood in one place - due to the copious amounts of beer-spills on the carpet, you stuck to the floor. And I mean stuck!

Why do you think that there was a metal bar running along the base of the bar? Sometimes you could wait ages for someone to notice you waving your money around, One foot on the bar and then you could lever yourself free of the sticky flooring, although it did come in useful as well if you were height challenged.

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

Why do you think that there was a metal bar running along the base of the bar? Sometimes you could wait ages for someone to notice you waving your money around, One foot on the bar and then you could lever yourself free of the sticky flooring, although it did come in useful as well if you were height challenged.

I do recall ine hilarious incident when a girl wearing stilleto boots attempted to haul herself up on that rail, and in the process managed to slip and wreck both heels of her expensive boots, and ended up upside down on the floor. Had to brush her down (you know what the floor was like) and she was so upset her heels were x-heels.

There were a few incidents with regard to that bar, usually someone slipping off it and their long waited for drink being spilt across the bar and floor. One poor unfortunate somehow slipped off the bar and managed to come down and crack their chin on the red formica bar top. Memorable for the vast amounts of blood and the unsuccessful search for a missing tooth. I bet people don't remember Clive's pet rat one evening going on walk about, scaring some customers silly as it ran around hiding under the wooden cubicle seats.

OMG this thread has really taken me back, as did the Rebels one!!

I used to go in the Wap nearly every night 10-12 years ago, and the sportsman/yorkie.

Is Ken still Djing Under the Boardwalk (i've still got his 12" copy of Freebird I will get it back to him one day)

Not ventured past the door since Olga's retirement 'do'

The only thing interesting about the Wap was the clientele. The ale was disgusting and anyone who thinks that Newcy Brown is a decent drink needs their head looking at..... in fact it probably has been looked at if you supped it for more than 12 months:P

PS: One of the Druids was sent down for stabbing some geezer to death on an East Coast camp site...so I don't reckon they were all that tame!

Is Ken still Djing Under the Boardwalk (i've still got his 12" copy of Freebird I will get it back to him one day)

Ken can now be seen DJ'ing Thursday nights in the SPORTSMAN on Cambridge STreet. Under the Boardwalk became another closure statistic about 2 months ago now.....

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

The ale was disgusting and anyone who thinks that Newcy Brown is a decent drink needs their head looking at..... in fact it probably has been looked at if you supped it for more than 12 months

It turned if it got warm, so it was best avoided for four months of the year, unless you knew your supplier was reliable! We could never figure out why it was always warm in the NMB, when it came off the cold shelf. I got a job behind the bar, and found the cold shelf was infront of the radiator!!!!

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

PS: One of the Druids was sent down for stabbing some geezer to death on an East Coast camp site...so I don't reckon they were all that tame!

If you give a ten year old a knife they could be dangerous, the Druids just had a thug element that obviously thought carrying a knife was clever. If I remember the story correctly it was a case of several Druids onto one guy.

Four of them went to court but only one of them was locked up as one of the others broke one of their most important rules and told the police what had happened.

There was the time when two of these hardened outlaw motorcyclists??? were thrown off a bus for being obnoxious. Like a lot of bullies their toughness came out when they were in a group or were showing off to one another.

http://www.borracho.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rock/index7.shtml

Just thought I'd bump this back up a bit as there have been another few pics put on the site in the last few months. I'm sure all the aging rockers on the Forum will get a rosy glow when they spot characters from their ill-spent youth!!

The name of the band by the way is really bugging me, some-one must remember them.

I am a very proud owner (just like the forum) of a wapentake t-shirt, had it that long its shrunk! or ive grown, which ever you belive. watched def-leppard play there years ago.