Who Remembers The Wapentake?

just rememvered her name...Olga (the manager/owner lady)

If that sign still exists in some dusty attic or cellar there are probably some people out and about maybe even on this forum who would be prepared to pay money for it.

Olga Marshall was the manager of the Wap the place actually belonged to the Grovenor House hotel though I do seem to remember the ownership going to one of the band members of Def Leopard or maybe it was Saxon.

Goldenfleece the description you offered hasn't made me suddenly remember her, I knew two Joannes but neither fit your description, never mind it just goes to show how busy the place was.

I do seem to remember the ownership going to one of the band members of Def Leopard or maybe it was Saxon.

Goldenfleece the description you offered hasn't made me suddenly remember her, I knew two Joannes but neither fit your description, never mind it just goes to show how busy the place was. [/b]

It was a Def Leppard person, dont know which one. They did not have it long though before the Casbah came about.....no money in it in its last days as the Wapentake I guess, as few customers.

Yes the Wap was PACKED in the old days, it used to take half an hour of wading thro bodies to find anyone unless u knew exactly where they were standing.

Time for a salutation to the greatest SHeffield Bar in history (1980 onwards)...viva la Wapentake.....

The place was certainly very popular in the late seventies early eighties, on Friday and Saturday nights the place would be filled to capacity and then it was a case of queueing outside and as someone left someone else was allowed in. I could queue jump one advantage of working behind the bar in the Kay Gee Bee,the Wap bouncers knew I'd give them a couple of free drinks as way of thanks. It also helped if you were an attractive female as they seemed to either be allowed to queue jump or were simply invited in as 'friends of the bouncers' there were times when there'd be forty or more outside waiting to get in often blocking the car park entrance to the hotel.

Can't think of a single smoothie pub that had queues

Can't think of a single smoothie pub that had queues [/b]

I have known the STONEHOUSE when it was the old courtyard bar to have queues outside on Saturday nights......not very often but it did happen.

For those who dont know what I mean by Courtyard Bar, its a bit difficult to explain as Orchard Square is sort of in the way a bit, but in the back it was a covered courtyard effect huge room with stone slabbed floor and beer garden tables and seats, fake shop windows and stuff and a clock tower.Loved it......it would probably be where the front of Waterstones book shop is now and all around the area there...

i got chucked out of the wap one saturday night for being "underage". Elgar was shoutin.."im having no 16 year olds in my pub" lol i was only 15 awwww them were the days...flooded ladies loos with no bog roll...i managed to keep sneakin in though when it got bizzy,and just kept a low profile.

they should never have changed it.Me and my mate would start off in the hallamshire,then go to the yorkshiremans,then end up in the wap. oh happy dayzzzz

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

Don't exagerate they didn't flood or get blocked, no it was far more likely that the queues to use the urinals were simply too long and if all the sinks were being used that left the corner of the room, you couldn't use the toilets they'd usually got people in them throwing up. Well that was the guys, the girls had lights, toilet paper and must of been a Tardis as thousands of girls seemed to be in there at the same time [internal description by word of mouth only]

Read your account of the mods/rockers thing, so I think I'm recounting a tale from a different era! And it was the ladies that flooded, every weekend night, half nine onwards, and I've witnessed the source of the problem. The reason we girls took so bloody long in there was how long it took us to swim upstream! And as for bogroll... I think Twist may have frequented the place at the same time as me.

The disagreement between the mods and the Wap customers wasn't a fight as such, a fight is when someone is fighting, the mods did try to lash out but within seconds found themselves trapped with no back up. They ran away, that's not a fight, I'm sure any mod of the early 60's would of been turning in their grave [so to speak] to see the speed at which the fire escape stairs were mounted.

Sure the girls toilets flooded sometimes but so what, you all had heels on, well the girls I noticed anyway after the long hair.

Sorry, I've edited that, Wallbuilder. I think I mentioned the boots somewhere else. Suede was a definite no-no in the Wap, unless you drank shorts and left for somewhere else before the night was out. (And I do miss the place, and all those familiar faces, even the ones I never knew the names of)

One of my delightful female companions wore the most gorgeous suede cavalier boots with a heel, I do seem to remember her getting rather techy when she came into the Wap after 9.30 pm. However there was a simple answer namely thigh length boots with a heel but in black leather, I could never decide which she looked better in.

You should of heard the bar staff not volunteering to mop the toilets out at about 11.30 pm, someone had to do it Olga said 'as otherwise the place would smell,' the place always smelled of something.

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

I do seem to remember her getting rather techy when she came into the Wap after 9.30 pm. However there was a simple answer namely thigh length boots...

Gosh, I never saw the flooding that deep! :wow::hihi:

Being leather they were so much easier for me to clean, it was one way to make sure she'd wear them again.one of the things that used to make me feel slightly sick was watching all the plastic pint and half pint glasses sloshing around in the puddle, Just think the following night they'd be behind the bar again though it does explain why I prefer drinking out of a bottle.