Who Remembers The Wapentake?

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Someone once told me what you had to do to become a "prospect" and then a fully fledged druid. They were some bizarre rituals to say the least.......

Being asked to be a prospect was something that actually happened to three of my colleagues. But then as a prospect you had to do anything that a druid told you to do however ridiculous or ill mannered, for example, break a raw egg on the pavement and then slurp it up, allow any druid to sleep with your girl friend. I saw and know these things happened and wasn't in the least impressed.

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

I've been trying to remember the name of a tall lanky, dark haired guy with glasses who worked behind the bar and I use 'work' in a very loose sense as he was very adept at not working and has this ability to look straight through you even when you waved the money wildly in front of him desperate for a drink.

Remember him well, always wore a long sleeved shirt, had floppy greasy hair, and was usually sat behind the bar reading a book. Very reluctant to stop reading to serve anyone....I think he had 2 operational modes: not working and not working.

Trying to remember some of the other bar staff......a lot came and went....cant seem to recall any others specifically.......oh, there was a long haired guy with waist length black hair and combats, think he was called Dave (circa 81/82/3), plus a short, portly chap with curly black hair hair who was there from 1981 right up to the early 90's behind the bar...never smiled, usually wore a leather waistcoat, remember him? Saw him recently in the Nelson actually but have no idea who he is.....

and Gloria, barmaid from 93/4, saw her the other week in the Nelson as well.

Oh the happiest days of my life were spent in that bar. I still remember what has been to date the happiest moment of my life when I was in there in December 1982 on A saturday night with the best girl in the whole known Universe and a table full of friends which was piled high with bottles of Newcastle brown ale and great loud early 80's rock.....HEAVEN

The small guy who worked behind the bar is called Tony, if you take another lok at the pics on Rock Reunited he is on page seven, although you may not recognise him as he doesn't look as miserable as he usually did probably because there's a girl holding him.

Sorry Goldenfleece but you might of been sat with an acceptable girl in 82 but the nicest, best and most attractive one was with me, just a shame she isn't still with me.

Newcastle Brown is oveer rated and although very popular in most of the rock veenues I've been in from London to Oxford to Leeds when you get to Newcastle and Durham it's not any where near as popular. A rocker in a pub called the Angel in Durham challanged my friend to a drinking competition and just couldn't handle it when Nigel [my mate] suggested Newky Brown and then drank the northerner under the table.

Sorry Goldenfleece but you might of been sat with an acceptable girl in 82 but the nicest, best and most attractive one was with me,

oooohh.....dont now about that. Mine was Goddess of the nile, Queen of the Empire, Princess of the Peace Gardens, a veritable babe amongst babes, the absolute perfect example of true perfection........God, what was her name agin???

oooohh.....dont now about that. Mine was Goddess of the nile, Queen of the Empire, Princess of the Peace Gardens, a veritable babe amongst babes, the absolute perfect example of true perfection........God, what was her name agin???

So let me get this straight,

1. She's a crocodile.....they live in the Nile

2. She's an ant.....a book title Empire of the ants

3. She's an old car..... with a very hard ride

4. She's defeinitly under age.....A few of them were

5. She looks like a kebab to a drunk.....perfection indeed

Nope sorry she doesn't rock my boat

Crocodile? Ant?.........

She was an afghan coat clad goddess........bounteous creature of hidden delights who liked Whitesnake, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne.... and Duran Duran (!!!!)

Also enjoyed newcastle brown ale...oops there I go promoting that product again.......FREE CRATE PLEASE SCOTTISH AND NEWCASTLE BREWERY.....

http://www.newcastlebrown.com/oneandonly/

Originally posted by vidster

How many snakebites on the ceiling?....

There will never be another.

Hey Vidster, and here was me thinking you'd be the short haired type!

I have some very fond memories of the Wap, but the orange spotty floor swamped from the blocked toilets certainly wasn't one of them! If we were meeting in the Wap, I was very choosy about my footwear! And the height of that bar - I'm 5ft tall. One night I was standing on the brass rail to be served, and when I collected my Newky Brown and stepped backwards (and down) the barmaid nearly followed me over the bar! Obviously thought I'd had too many!

That was one of the nice things about the Wap, although it catered to the long haired hairies which included some of the girls it also had an open door policy if a smoothie felt like slumming it.

One of the few times we had trouble in the Wap well apart from the odd disagreement between guys over a girl wass when a bunch of Mods came in in small groups then congregated near the pool table and then kicked off. They obviously thought that they'd hit a few bikers around the head. Unfortunately for them they'd met at the pool table that was at the far end of the place and soon found themselves trapped and unable to get back to the main staircase and facing a lot of very upset rockers. They headed for the emergency fire escape and headed up into the Grovenor House Hotel, probably just as well as we'd locked the doors at the main entrance as other lowlifes were trying to force entry to help their parker clad colleagues. I was lucky I got hit by glass shards as one of them attempted to ghain entry some of his pals on the fire escape suffered slightly more, I remember the prize, a parker literally ripped off the back of one of them being waved around. I was going in the Wap for over ten years and that is the only bad trouble I saw in all that time.

Originally posted by Strix

!

I have some very fond memories of the Wap, but the orange spotty floor swamped from the blocked toilets certainly wasn't one of them! !

Don't exagerate they didn't flood or get blocked, no it was far more likely that the queues to use the urinals were simply too long and if all the sinks were being used that left the corner of the room, you couldn't use the toilets they'd usually got people in them throwing up. Well that was the guys, the girls had lights, toilet paper and must of been a Tardis as thousands of girls seemed to be in there at the same time [internal description by word of mouth only]

Crocodile? Ant?.........

She was an afghan coat clad goddess........bounteous creature of hidden delights who liked Whitesnake, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne.... and Duran Duran (!!!!)

Also enjoyed newcastle brown ale...oops there I go promoting that product again.......FREE CRATE PLEASE SCOTTISH AND NEWCASTLE BREWERY.....

http://www.newcastlebrown.com/oneandonly/

Now come on we need a name, and a better description just in case I still know her, larger than she used to be with a few kids , possibilities Andrea, Suzanne, Kay all afghan wearers

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

Now come on we need a name, and a better description just in case I still know her, larger than she used to be with a few kids , possibilities Andrea, Suzanne, Kay all afghan wearers

She was called JO-ANNE.....dark hair, CLeopatra like. She is very slightly larger these days and has at least 2 kids AFAIK. SHe had a lovely afghan coat and Lez Zepp T shirt, and also was a Barclay James Harvest Fan. CLass!! We went to Rebels a lot on Saturdays in 82/3, but not every week. Also haunted the Yorkshireman Arms and the Underground.

Lived in Ecclesall. I met her in February 1982 and we dated until Summer 84....amazing time was had by all. SHe hung around with friends, girls called HELEN and KATHY, both of whom had very memorable long blond hair and also had afghans coats. They went thro a leather jacket phase in 1985 and left the rock scene to have babies and mortgages around 1988/9.

Sometimes I wish I had been a bit more serious back in the 80's and we MIGHT even have been together today, but thats just wishful thinking and the grass is always so much greener than it ever is, or could ever have been.

OK... time to own up

Many many years ago, following the demise of the Buccaneer, a load of us shifted alegiance to the Wapantake, which was nicknamed "The Wap".

One of our gang was nicknamed The Wap (forgot why) as well, so... late one night staggering home at the early hours we saw the sign over the Wapentake door and thought (as drunks do) 'Now there's an ideal birthday present for our best mate', so after climbing on peoples shoulders etc. we removed the bloody thing and legged it (don't know why cus' there was no one around ) down Wellington Street to the relative safety of the Broomhall Flats (what am I saying?) from there we split up and made our ways home to the leafy suburbs...I forgot who had the responsibilty of lugging a bloody great pub sign home but a few days later we presented the sign to our mate (he was not there when the incident took place) who received it with tears in his eyes...for many years it graced his bedroom wall until he grew up,and, like the rest of us, got married etc. those single guys remaining in the gang could not understand why his new lady was not keen displaying this piece of heritage on her lounge wall!!

To the lady who ran the Wap at that time (forgot her name, but she was a tough cookie if I remember) I apologise.. to the brewery...IOU one pub sign