Helen wilson settlement

did any one go to the helen wilson. i went there in 1963-1967 the murdocks, the hunts. and the green family were there, also bert fowler and mick haigh and the mannings were there at that time. does anyone remember them.

I went there round about the same time. I remember some of the names.

Originally posted by pitsmoorlad

I went there round about the same time. I remember some of the names.

did you live nearby and if so what is your name if you don't mind me asking.

no I didn't live near to the H W settlement but I played for their football team with Tony Hunt and others.

Sounds very interesting. What was the Helen Watsom settlement?

Originally posted by hazel

Sounds very interesting. What was the Helen Watsom settlement?

the helen wilson was at the corner of harvest lane and rutland road, before you went under the bridge, where the forest pub is.

i've been told it used to be the rutland hotel, true or not i don't know. i also understand that rutland road used to be called wilson street, so i should imagine that's where the name comes from. it was a great youth club though.

Originally posted by pitsmoorlad

no I didn't live near to the H W settlement but I played for their football team with Tony Hunt and others.

i knew tony hunt very well, did you know bert fowler and jeff green as well.

I went there when I was v. young (around 11).

I lived on Manners St., which was across the road from the HWS and opposite Stones brewery and next to Hallamshire Steel Works.

I went to Woodside Junior School on Rutland Rd..

Bloke called Graham Groves used to look after the kids.

Howard Wilkinson, who lived near to HWS, probably went there.

I vaguely remember someone called Fowler, but knew Jeff Green. Small ish slim guy. Is that the same one?

The Forest Pub was higher up Rutland Rd. on the RHS quite near to Woodside School.

Some surnames of people I knew on Manners St. who may have gone to HWS):-

Plant (Ian, Peter, Janet); Marriott (Trevor); Redfearn(Female); Smith (Billy, Barry,Brian, Carol); Creaser (Eric).

There was also another "Youth Club" on Manners St. which backed on to the Co-op - I can only remember that we called it "The Guild".

Talking of Parkwood Springs - we used to go and play on "the Wood" at the top of Rutland Rd.. This wasn't a wood but open hilly grassland above the quarry on Rutland Rd..

This stretched right over to Parkwood Springs.

We had lots of childish skirmisshes with the "Parkies" (we were called the "Woodies").

There were piggeries on the Parkwood Springs side then (not owned by Gypsies) and also Allotments.

When I lived in that area we used to go onto Parkwood Springs and yes we used to call it the wood, although I can't recall a single tree. But the little road down from Rutland Rd was and is called "Wood Fold" so there must have been some there at one point. We used to go up to the "air raid shelters at the top. It was always windy up there but you could see for miles.

We had lots of childish skirmisshes with the "Parkies" (we were called the "Woodies").

That brings back memories, hope you've given up throwing stones

remember the Plants was it Peter with the false eye,

ex- Parkwooder