The Public Housing Shortage...Why not bring back "Prefabs"?

thers many oportunities that are not used. Living Over The Shops (LOTS) was a scheme which provided grants to shop owners to develop upstairs and let. it never eally took off. theres alsomany industrial and office blocks empty. the cost of developing them is off putting for developers. industrial land is contaminated and office blocks need vast amounts spent on plumbing etc. perhaps he government could provide grants. years ago developers did not have to pay VAT on new build, but did on renovations.dont know if thats the case.if you saw a perfectly good building pulled down to be replaced by an inferior new one, that was probably the reason why.

i think there may be problems in the future with all these appartments being built in town centres. i suppose most are young professional people, but not all. what happens in ten years time when they have kids? there'll be a glut of appartments for sale, prices will fall. i also feel that the novelty will wear off. who wants to live in the city centre with all the fumes and noise on a day like this?

When the young professionals get married or have kids they'll probably buy a home in the suburbs or even further out. They may keep their flat and rent it out, or sell it to other, younger singles who are looking for their first home. Lots of young people (even some older ones) love city living. Its not for everyone, but then neither is living in the country, its all about choice.

History shows that with a rising population, affordable housing for any country and it's people is one of the main priorities.

Many of the cities we are familiar with today were once very small hamlets/towns.

It wasn't such a long long time ago that Sheffield was geographically smaller than Rotherham. :)

I agree that a green countryside is of great therapeutic value, but the living needs of the populace combined with sensible planning are paramount. :)

thats true. but its new at the moment, on mass anyway, i just feel eventually they'll al think are we mad! as more go up there'll be more traffic. the government is talking of expanding the public sector by vast numbers. that willmean fair rents and nobody would pay the extortionate rents to live in town. the rents will be higher than buying so if they are let it will be temporary stuff. believe me they will be difficult to let and sell. do you live in one ms mcbeth? get out now!!

The shortage of housing in the UK is caused by a shortage of land. Unless you can prefabricate new land then the idea doesn't address the real problem.

Nationalize the Wednesday ground

thats true. but its new at the moment, on mass anyway, i just feel eventually they'll al think are we mad! as more go up there'll be more traffic. the government is talking of expanding the public sector by vast numbers. that willmean fair rents and nobody would pay the extortionate rents to live in town. the rents will be higher than buying so if they are let it will be temporary stuff. believe me they will be difficult to let and sell. do you live in one ms mcbeth? get out now!!
well said mikey plus all the old vickers pre fabs or gerry built as iv heard them called are full of asbestos and are being torn down systematically:thumbsup:

well said mikey plus all the old vickers pre fabs or gerry built as iv heard them called are full of asbestos and are being torn down systematically:thumbsup:

er, and whats up with Gerry built?:hihi:

zey are not built to de standards required by ze fuhrer:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

zey are not built to de standards required by ze fuhrer:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

obviously, do you think i wear this helmet for nowt!:P

It's a good idea because they were decent homes back then and they have 'em in other countries - but it's the lack of land. It just gets sold to the highest bidder if it's private.

Maybe big private developments should be required to allocate a certain percentage of the stock to social housing in order to get planning permission? So if say they want to build a block of 100 flats they must allocate 3 to a housing association? They could easily accommodate that in their profits surely? Plus, it gets rid of this whole thing of 'sink estates', where everyone renting is dumped in one area together.

do you live in one ms mcbeth? get out now!!

Nah, tradional 30s semi for me at the mo - but I'm not a young professional! I've lived in 2 tenement flats and a 14th floor council high rise when I was young in Scotland. When we moved to Doncaster, we couldn't get a council house as we were incomers (it was like that til much more recently than people think!) and there was literally no housing advice. So we rented the top of an old terraced house over a vets, then a really awful terraced house with an outside loo in a not too good area - quite liked the area, just hated the house! We then bought for the first time - a new property in a pit village (that was probably my most unfavourite place to live), then another new one in a suburb (good schools), then an old one in the same suburb, then a new bungalow in Rotherham, now we've down priced rather than downsized to our current semi in Sheffield.

My kids haven't stayed put in one property either. People are progressively less likely to stay in the same place that they were born, as jobs for life are less and less. Young people moving away to University often stay put afterwards too - lots of people who live in Sheffield are examples of that. So I think we need the widest variety of property available - more social housing is desperately needed of course - but the new ones shouldn't carry the same right to buy - or we'll just go round in circles!