Our Sheffield market

Our sheffield market is a discrace now! It is full of Alco's and smack heads.

And i have heard they are thinking about spending millions in doing it up. What a waste of our money!

I have been to doncaster market and that is very nice, very clean. The people are goons in that town but is looks good. Unlike our sheffield market.

What do you think ?

I am a market trader and there are no really good markets around here compared to down south. Donnington is not bad, Doncaster is ok but a cheap market for cheap people so doesn't attract really top traders. Sheffield is beyond dire.

A lot of Market Traders from South Yorkshire/Manchester travel south to trade - sad but true.

Hi,

I am new to the area and have been looking for local markets so am interested in the comments made. Is this the Castle Markets you are all saying are not great?

Also where are the Chesterfield markets held and does anyone have a contact?

Thanks

Belinda

Originally posted by MissyB

Hi,

I am new to the area and have been looking for local markets so am interested in the comments made. Is this the Castle Markets you are all saying are not great?

Also where are the Chesterfield markets held and does anyone have a contact?

Thanks

Belinda

A contact for a pitch you mean?

If so. . . .

Market Operator = Chesterfield Borough Council

Number of Stalls = 260

Market days = Mon,Fri & Sat (Thur 2nd hand only)

Stalls= Open 8ft & 12ft

Rent £11 to £22 depending on size and location

Pitchers, Demmers and Casuals allowed

Service Charge = no

Refuse collection = yes

Vans on = no

Contact = Richard Cooke, Markets Manager

Tel:01246 345999 Fax 01246 345990

Hope that helps

Nothing wrong with the Castle market in Sheffield, the traders are friendly, class one food, the prices are right, if someone says it is full of smackheads, that is nothing to do with the market, it is the people who frequent it!!!:lol:

Being brought up in Barnsley with loads of markets - I have to say I was sickenly disspointed with Sheffield. I used to spend all day trawling the markets for good food and bargins - even on income support I was able to give my family fresh vegetables without having my arms and legs ripped off in the process - or sufffering food poisoning.

Perhaps my expectations were too high but the place is dirty, it smells disgusting and the food is crap quality. I don't care how flippin cheap it is I wouldn't touch it with someone elses barge pole.

Barnsley meat & Fish market used to have the same problem with smells and dirt when I was younger but the council cleaned it up. I understand now that the markets in Barnsley are on the decline too.

I mis the opportunity to buy fresh products. I don't drive and the local farmers used to come into Barnsley at least once a week and sell fresh eggs, and farm produce.

Hillsborough offers a good range of the supermarket and fresh stuff - there is even a fishmongers which is a HUGE novelty.

So my opinion on the Markets - they need a good steam clean and then I may consider buying.

Moon Maiden

Guest costessey

its perfect for the lower orders who use it...also good entertainment on occasion....norwich has a good market...bit like chesterfield but bigger and 6 days/week

Archived