Prince Edward School, 1940/50/60s

Just reading the autobiography of Bruce Dickinson ( Iron Maiden) , he mentions going to a school at manor top . Does anyone know if it was Prince Edwards, he was born in 1958. First name was Paul.

Prince Edward school, 1940/50/60s.

Axus – post 263

Marjorie Pye had a brother called Vincent. They kept rats as pets. One of the rats was called Tom. Yes, the Pye’s lived on Mansfield Rooad. It’s amazing what you can learn on Sheffield Forum. LOL.

Do you remember George Cutts, and also Vince Murphy? George is a friend of mine

I was at Prince Edward School from 1946 to 1951.

Don't remember too much about it. One of the things that sticks in my mind is a teacher asked the class if someone was born at a date and died at a date, how old would he have been.

I was the first to put my hand up and she gave me a threepence bit. Strange what we remember

Only name I remember is Marjory Pye.

I was at Prince Edward School from 1946 to 1951.

Don't remember too much about it. One of the things that sticks in my mind is a teacher asked the class if someone was born at a date and died at a date, how old would he have been.

I was the first to put my hand up and she gave me a threepence bit. Strange what we remember

Only name I remember is Marjory Pye.

Any one remember Violet Brown at school from 1948 til 58 ,A top lass was Violet.

you must have been there same time as me bushbaby 3 and fiat 500, also remmember Mr Bluff, Paddy Graham,Mr White,Mr Brown,Miss Robinson and Mr Grayson..

Patch 13,i was in the same class as John Womersly,still see him now and again.What was your brothers name Kieth ??.also in our class..jimmy warner,jimmy ashmore,dave proud,dave ahmed,gary farmetr,gary varney,steve benton,graham proctor,kieth bridges,steven haige,stewert parker,derek pugh..run some of those names past him..

On 30/09/2018 at 18:01, Albert smith said:

Any one remember Violet Brown at school from 1948 til 58 ,A top lass was Violet.

Was she related to Sid and Ray Brown?

Violet Brown emigrated to Canada along with her younger brother Ralph. Used to catch up with Ralph on his frequent visits home but I haven't seen him for a few years.

4 hours ago, bladebeer said:

Was she related to Sid and Ray Brown?

Sid was her cousin ,I believe her brother was called Kilvern .

When we graduated to "joined-up writing" in Junior School, Mr Cross used to get us buy an Osmiroid pen - cost 5/- - with an italic nib.  Italics looked very stylish if you ever got it right but, I suspect, became another reason to  give the kids a hard time if you didn't. I thought Vernon was OK though -  fair.

Other kids I remember (I was there from Sept 52 til Dec 56 when we moved to Nottingham) were David Margerison ( I seem to remember going to a birthday party  where David's older sister had a record player and  played "Zambezi" over and over  - as you did in those days) , Royston Bulmer, John Mountain.

Gleadless Common was a playground and we sometime strayed as far as Myrtle Springs.  There was a posh house near us called Knowle House which had a sunken lawn!.  Sunday School in Gleadless was followed by mucking about in the  old  allotments on the right as you walked up to Hurlfield Avenue.  It had  chicken coops and an old lorry parked up by the fence (the smell of the oil in the cab still hangs in my nostrils to this day!!)

We had such freedom as kids back then - no phones, no telly,  dad at work and mum at home looking after the younger ones . . . . 

Edited by Rallcad
spelling mistakes and general lazy work, Would do better if Christopher concentrated!!

On 03/12/2008 at 16:41, merrydown said:

Yes, I do remember the dinner ladies although I'd forgotten their names.

Does anyone remember Mr Cross giving handwriting lessons and insisting that everybody used the same Italic style of writing?

Yes - when we graduated to "joined-up writing" Mr Cross used to get us buy an Osmiroid pen with an italic nib.  Italics looked very stylish if you ever got it right but, I suspect, became another reason to  give the kids a hard time if you didn't. I thought Vernon was OK though -  fair.

Other kids I remember (I was there from Sept 52 til Dec 56 when we moved to Nottingham) were David Margerison ( I seem to remember going to a birthday party  where David's older sister had a record player and  played "Zambezi" over and over  - as you did in those days) , Royston Bulmer, John Mountain.

Gleadless Common was a playground and we sometime strayed as far as Myrtle Springs.  There was a posh house near us called Knowle House which had a sunken lawn!.  Sunday School in Gleadless was followed by mucking about in the  old  allotments on the right as you walked up to Hurlfield Avenue.  It had  chicken coops and an old lorry parked up by the fence (the smell of the oil in the cab still hangs in my nostrils to this day!!)

We had such freedom as kids back then - no phones, no telly,  dad at work and mum at home looking after the younger ones . . . . 

I went to prince Edward until 1961 then went to hurl field girls remember the teachers started in Mrs Websters class went on to Mr Bellamys