Prince Edward School, 1940/50/60s

When i started going to prince edwards, the sports days were at Intake School on their fields, but later on they tidied pit field up and grassed it and made it into football pitches which doubled up for the setting for sports day. Remember the pitches were quite small and the goal posts were not full size and visiting schools used to complain that there wasnt enough room for 11 a side football. Posh schools mainly! Are there any more members of prince edwards football teams out there? In my time Mr Phillingham was in charge of the school team and we suffered some horrendous defeats, a classic being 14-0 at Acres Hill in the driving rain. We did win some though, and did get pretty good towards the end of my years there.

I attended Prince Edward's infants and juniors in the late 50's/early 60's but not the seniors as I went on to Hurlfield in 1964,

prince edwards - seniors am i missing something ? :huh:

Hi, I attended Prince Edwards from 1967 through to 1972 and can only remember my teacher from the latter years as being mIss Kingdom . I vividly remember her slippering the backside of Brian Woolhouse for playing up in class. Great School but sadly infested with bullies off the Manor even all those years ago. Jeff

I WENT TO PRINCE EDWARDS IN 70 TO 80.s I LOVED EVERY MINUTE AND BACK THEN IT WAS A VERY GOOD SCHOOL NOT LIKE SCHOOLS TODAY WE WHERE LUCK TO HAVE A LITTLE PUNCH UP NOW YOUR LUCKY NOT TO GET STABED RAPED ROBED OR SHOT WHATS THE WORLD COMIN TO ?

:confused:

Mod. Note

No need for all caps. It's the internet equivalent of shouting.

I was there 'til '71ish. I was in Caernavon (the red one) Ditto the crush!

Anyone remember the charity thing where the winner got a cheque from Frankie Vaughan? I think a certain Trevor Hague won it.

Around 70/71 we did a school play where we had to make strange life size cows out of chicken wire and rags covered in plaster, then roll turnips about. Anybody remember that?

Remember Mrs Pilgrim and her love of maypoles? It was a while later that I started to realise the symbolism there, though I may just be weird!

In fact I think I was there with Vasquez Richard and Lennonman. To that end I'll drop a toe in the water and suggest that one of them is left handed whilst the other has a (real) famous name. And one of them may know a story regarding harpoon guns and bedroom doors!

Still see Sharpy (plus Jock Smith), Boothy and Ernie (remember him?)

you are right Eldonsmith, Vasquez Rich has a very famous name and i am left handed! Remember Rich having a harpoon gun and its very likely it was fired into a bedroom door.....You remember a lot more than me, cant for the life of me remember making cows out of chicken wire, or the Frankie Vaughan thing, do remember Trevor though. The only charity thing i did was do the walkaid thing every year where you had to walk 15 miles and get sponsored for it. Racking my brains to think who you may be, you know Sharpy and Jock so I should know you!

In fact I think I was there with Vasquez Richard and Lennonman. To that end I'll drop a toe in the water and suggest that one of them is left handed whilst the other has a (real) famous name. And one of them may know a story regarding harpoon guns and bedroom doors!

Still see Sharpy (plus Jock Smith), Boothy and Ernie (remember him?)

Lennonman

You knew me quite well in those halcyon school days - I'll let you think a while more however the harpoon story may jolt VRs mind. We drifted into different groups of mates at Hurlfield

The Frankie Vaughan thing was a sponsored walk now I think about it.

Do you remember the Fancy Dress party at school? Most had really basic home made gear, then Paul Kenny turns up in a really expensive silk Chinaman costume complete with pony tail and moustache? In these PC days, that kind of stereotyping would be frowned upon, back then it was seen as harmless fun.

Anyone have any more info on the air raid shelters there? My mum says she has used them in anger!

Harpoon Gun??? Don't remember firing it into a bedroom door... into the garden from the front bedroom window, yes...

Yes, i remember the cows very well, we had to make two, one thin and one fat, the idea was to have the thin one show its ribs so we made a backbone and ribs from chickenwire and draped a blanket over it only when we looked at the two cows the thin one with the ribs was fatter than the thin one so we changed them around. Was in the year we were in Mr Shepards class.

I also remember the Paul Kenny chinaman suit, looked like something out of Charlie Chan. I also remember him playing the king in a play/musical thing about The Halleluyah Chorus (?? maybe not) where the king stands up and so all the audience has to stand up, only Paul sat down at just the wrong moment. Sure that was him.

Also remember having to draw around Wendy Housley on a big sheet of paper and then having to draw in all her girl bits....

And...

Team E winning the 5 a side organised by Man Fillingham in the "new" gym.

Me busting my right collarbone on an ice slide.

The smell of the boys outside loo and peeing up the wall competitions.

The football matches in the yard complete with football chants direct from the terraces.... "and do they smell?.... like....."

Daz Winnall being hit on the head by a book by Mrs Scammons (he said "ooch", then Neil Palmer chipping in with "that's a double ooch" and getting the same... (the "ooch" from The Banana Splits).. see also under "Oh ho, Chongo" and "Scanta-banta-boo-boo"

Richard

I remember your collarbone incident. I was sure that the three pronged dart had ended up in your bedroom door though. Glad you knew about the cows, for a moment I thought I had imagined it! Did I dream about turnips too? Was that to do with potato famine?

Does anyone remember the Irish night when we had to stay back and give out soda bread?

Or taking the register to the top of the tower to the school secretary?

I remember the staff occasionally went very morose and trooped everyone into the hall to watch news events. The moon landing in '69 Prince Charles' investiture at Caernavon castle in the same year and some kind of Winston Churchill show - but that can't have been the funeral as he died in '65

I remember being called to the stage in assembly as my mum had given me a shilling to start the Aberfan disaster whip round. Still blushing now

Did they show films in the hall? I seem to remember watching Bullit

I remember sliding around the showers on our bare a&*es and the school overreacting by sticking non-slip pads on the floor

Finally Rich - I remember your mum had something called a comptometer which to us was the height of technology. Still got it?

Shame I can't remember anything which may benefit me though!

Three pronged dart... that was it, definitely although I still don't recall it going into my bedroom door!

Potato famine, yes, turnips, yes and Glenn Booth (??) play acting "have potatoes come up yet woman!"...

Irish night, yes, 2 of the lads made cool irish barrows out of stones and fake grassy powdery stuff. I think Sheppard taking us out of lessons and into the telly room to watch the Apollo 11 mission was one of the coolest things a school could have done at the time... and that telly was the BIGGEST in the world!

Showers... Wacky Races, brilliant stuff!!!!

Collarbones... **** did that hurt, bust my left one another twice later on, didn't hurt half as much.

Mum kept the compometer until she finally moved out of her house (where I was born) then she had me lob it out (she passed away in 2002).. she was the only person I have ever met who could add up in base 16 in her head (that was the base of the machine).. a sort of mechanical forerunner of a digital calculator, I suppose had binary system at its heart otherwise wouldn't have been in 16ths.

Bullitt... yes, I would have sworn that was at Ashleigh though.. maybe not.

Ernie, Gary Leach... unforgettable, (what was his mates name.. Ian Maw??).

I remember getting the crucial question wrong in the quiz competition... marsupial!!!! Grrrrr.

Was a pity I went to the other school, although it was definitely the best choice for my education.. I often wondered how things might have turned out if more from PE had gone to Ashleigh rather than Hurlfield.

Here's some info Rich

it must have been Glenn Bell or Andy Booth

Very sorry to hear about your mum. That machine blew me away. In a later incarnation as an electronics engineer I too lived in a hex world. You can't detract from the skills used on those machines though.

Kevin Maw is the name you're hunting for. Still see him from time to time

Was out with Ernie and Andy on Xmas eve. Lost a packet at cards and snooker, but then I was never an athlete. Ernie now has 2 degrees so Hurlfield education can't have been too shabby

don't recall the quiz though.

Managed to place me yet??

Glenn Bell (Glenn Booth I knew later at Ashleigh), yes, Kevin Maw (More?). Yes.

Billy Smith... dead giveaway.

Glad to hear that "Ernie" came though in the end. I always knew that there were some clever kids at PE, I always thought that their potential was never fulfilled at Hurlfield.