Prince Edward School, 1940/50/60s

did any one attend prince eedwards school in the sixties. the headteacher was a small bald headed headed man called mr thomas we used to call him tomcat.the teachers i remember were mr brown mr graham mr white miiss robinson im sure there was a lot more put my memory fails me

I was there in the 80's.

I attended Prince Edward's infants and juniors in the late 50's/early 60's but not the seniors as I went on to Hurlfield in 1964, The infant teachers' names that I remember are Mrs Newsome, Miss Staton and Mrs Brunt. The headmaster of the juniors was Mr Cross and some of the teachers were: Mrs Warden, Mrs Webster, Mrs Moore, Mrs Stephenson, Miss Pilgrim and Mr Swift.

Are there any other forum members who went there the same time as me?

I went to Prince Edward between late 50s till about 68 when I went to Hurlfield (the first time girls were allowed at the boys school). Mr White and Mr Brown ended up teaching there also. Mrs Newsome was the first teacher we had at school so think we all remember her with fondness. I remember Mr Cross as being a bit scary. Mr Swift was my form teacher in the junior school. Miss Pilgrim (should be Miss Grim), I remember her rapping my knuckles with the ruler for not eating my cabbage. In the infants having to run out to the outside toilets...urgh!

Fiat500, that's right, Mrs Newsome did teach the first class in the infants. I think you could have been 1 or 2 years below me at school, as I read on another thread that you sat next to Carl Stephens, well I sat next to his brother Steven. I used to do his drawings cos he used to let me copy his sums.

Mr Cross was strict but I think he was ok. I had my legs slapped quite a few times by Miss Pilgrim. Did anyone like her? Mr Swift was my form teacher for 2 years and I thought he was lovely.

I attended Prince Edward School from 1935-38,during my 3 years there i only had one teacher who was Mr Wright,i learnt a lot from him,the only other teachers i remember from that period was a Mr Gratton the science teacher was (Curly)Middleton who was the only teacher with a car,the woodwork teacher was a Ted Shields and Miss eEliott taught handicrafts

i remember all those names merrydown and fiat 500 .our class was the first one that mr swift took when joining the school. i rember miss pilgram (pillywag} she used to take us swimming .she used to stand at the edge of the bath and pull her skirt up to her knees and show us how a frog swims with its legs. all the boys used to look up her skirt to get a glimpse of her long knee length knickers. i can remember her giving the slipper for talking in her class.can you remember anyone in your clesses maybe one of you two was in mine

what a s**t school

poppypopstar those are harsh words it was a good school to go to still is .both my son and now his daughter gos to it did you

i remember all those names merrydown and fiat 500 .our class was the first one that mr swift took when joining the school. i rember miss pilgram (pillywag} she used to take us swimming .she used to stand at the edge of the bath and pull her skirt up to her knees and show us how a frog swims with its legs. all the boys used to look up her skirt to get a glimpse of her long knee length knickers. i can remember her giving the slipper for talking in her class.can you remember anyone in your clesses maybe one of you two was in mine

I have an old school photo with Mr Swift (the class of '66). Will scan it in then you can have a copy if you think you remember any of the people. Some I remember: Elaine Hutchinson, Diane Needes, Carl Stevens, Linda Brown, Margaret Lavendar, Paul Newsome, Mick Shepherd, Christopher Pursehouse, Paul Shepherd, Kevin Smith, Jane Smith, Tina Casson, Gillian Wheatley, Craig Stevens? Jonathan Riley, David Lee...and many more, sorry can't remember all names, surprised I remembered so many.

I remember going swimming to Woodthorpe School and if you wasn't back to the bus stop on time you got caned.

what a s**t school

I agree with bushbaby3 those were harsh words. I remember my time at Prince Edward as being happy.

I was at Prince Edwards from 65 till 72 and remember it being a good school. Mrs Newsome was the first teacher, isnt it funny how you remember your first teacher? Mrs Drury, Miss Pilgrim, Miss Kingdom, who taught us recorders and singing, Mr Hibberd, Mr Miles, Miss Scamonds, Mr Phillingham who taught sports and was in charge of the school football team which i played for, Miss Hodkin, and Mr Shepherd who was my last teacher and who i have fond memories of, he was a nice man with a good sense of humour. Cant remember the name of the headmaster but he used to walk into assembly some days, wagging a slipper when somebody had done something really bad. Cant imagine anybody doing that now can you? We were in houses which were all Welsh Castles. I was in Harlech and was captain along with Kim Clarke who was a babe and who i had a secret crush on!!! Despite it having a bad repuation because of its location, i never felt it was a bad or rough school and i am happy to see it still thriving whenever i go back to Sheffield.