Caledonian Biscuit Company

Anyone remember this Castle Market based business, loose biscuits pick and mix.

Later they opened the Castle Grill and then The Castle Restaurant.

I do indeed. It was founded by my grandfather, Jack Peat. He was from Leith and borrowed £5 to travel south & make his fortune in the metropolis of Sheffield. He is listed in the 1911 census in Leith as being a biscuit salesman. His business in Sheffield flourished and branched out to market halls in Chesterfield and Rotherham and possibly elsewhere. On his retirement in about the early 50's the company was taken over by his son Alan who changed the direction towards catering which was not successful. I think they ceased trading in about 1960.

Ho turveyneil - welcome to the Forum! :) I remember the Caledonian Biscuit Company in the (now demolished) Castle Market, and the Castle Restaurant in Waingate. The business evidently survived a bit longer than 1960 - it is listed in the 1965 Kelly's Directory (compiled in mid-1964) but had gone by 1969. The 1925 directory finds Jack Peat at 110 Westbourne Road, near the Botanical Gardens - thanks to Google here is a view of the house. By 1930 he had moved to Hoober Road, Ecclesall.

Edited by hillsbro

Ho turveyneil - welcome to the Forum! :) I remember the Caledonian Biscuit Company in the (now demolished) Castle Market, and the Castle Restaurant in Waingate. The business evidently survived a bit longer than 1960 - it is listed in the 1965 Kelly's Directory (compiled in mid-1964) but had gone by 1969. The 1925 directory finds Jack Peat at 110 Westbourne Road, near the Botanical Gardens - thanks to Google here is a view of the house. By 1930 he had moved to Hoober Road, Ecclesall.

Where was the 'Biscuit' factory ?

Sorry, off topic but.....

Blimey Hillsbro, that picture brought back memories. That was my neighbours house, I lived opposite them in the 80s. (a Dr and his wife) I think in 1930 building work would be starting on the houses just above that house, changing the look of the whole road.

My dad managed this business for a couple of years until 1961 when he bought his own shop on the Foxhill Estate. I remember him telling me that the owner had promised him a directorship but then gave it to his son instead. My dad decided then to buy his own shop in 1961 and he owned that shop until he died in 1975. I remember that they sold mostly loose biscuits from those boxes with glass lids on them. I also remember George Demos's cafe which was on the same floor I think. He was a Cypriot and his full name was Demosthenes bur he shortened it to Demos to make him seem less "foreign".  There was also a shop that sold books and "rented out" 2nd hand Superman and Batman comics. I think you gave him 3d for a comic and if you took it back, you were given 1d. That's d for penny in old money when £1 was made up of 240 old pence. 12d to the shilling and 20 shillings to the £ :) In fact, I think I've found a picture oof him Picture Sheffield. He is the guy in the white coat next to the stack of biscuit tins t08961.jpg

Edited by Shoreham Street
to add photograph