Did you ever live in Stannington?

ever live in stannington? which school/pub did you go to while livivg there?

Up to last August I lived in Stannington, went in several pubs in the area, most notably the Sportsman, Peacock, Top House (Crown and Glove), Mini's (Rose and Crown) and of course the Robin Hood.

It's as rough as old boots up in Stannington. Burnt out cars, graffiti, chavs. :rolleyes:

I live there now, and have done since birth.

I went to Nook Lane Junior School, then Bradfield School, now Hillsborough College.

Mini's is the only pub we go in.

I've lived here since birth... 21 years and 3 months. I like it, nice and quiet.

I went to Stannington Infant School, then Nook Lane Junior School and finally Bradfield School :) Did all 3 in catchment.

Mini's is best pub for younger people... me dad likes the Top House.

I come from Hillsborough originally but moved up to the village area 8 years ago.

Although i did go to Myers Grove School.

Nice place, very quiet - i only see half a dozen people a day walk past our house.

Hmm, never seen a burned out car though - thats a new one on me.

We used to frequent The Peacock but i think it went down hill after Tom Cobleigh sold it on.

The only place i go in now, and it is only occasionally, is The Crown & Glove.

Shame about the Hare & Hounds - i used to work there about 20 years ago and it was a nice pub back then with a good menu.

I was devestated to see it been run down.

Last time i went in the place smelled, the toilet door on the gents had been replaced by plastic strips like you see on chill store warehouses and the beer was relatively expensive and the glasses old and dirty. Oh and they had a disco blaring out and there was me, our lass and an old fella in!

I hope it reopens when someone redevelops the site and it looks after cask ales - its the future! :)

I would love to see the Hare & Hounds re-open as well Blacksheep, but I honestly don't believe there is enough trade in the village or surrounding areas to support five pubs. The advent of ever cheaper ale in supermarkets and more forms of home entertainment, has meant that it's a struggle for those still in business.

I would hate to see the pub site and the historic old cricket ground behind it being developed for more housing, but that's what may happen. Having said that, the building is a 60's eyesore and something needs doing to it!

In answer to the OP. Born on Moorland Place 44yrs ago and lived here every day since. 'Educated' (if you can call my efforts that!) at the Infants' school, Nook Lane, then Bradfield - may go to the 50th anniversary 'do' on 1st July.

I've lived here since birth... 21 years and 3 months. I like it, nice and quiet.

I went to Stannington Infant School, then Nook Lane Junior School and finally Bradfield School :) Did all 3 in catchment.

Mini's is best pub for younger people... me dad likes the Top House.

Well your husband says its rough in stannington. Will you be moving soon?:hihi: :hihi:

Well your husband says its rough in stannington. Will you be moving soon?:hihi: :hihi:

Husband... (don't scare me)

He's from Manor, he likes taking the mick out of Stanny hehe.

Husband... (don't scare me)

He's from Manor, he likes taking the mick out of Stanny hehe.

Im very sorry, just noticed the Mrs Scarby/Mr Raskel thing thats all! How did you manage to meet someone fromt manor coming from such a wonderful place like St anningtons?:hihi: :hihi:

Im very sorry, just noticed the Mrs Scarby/Mr Raskel thing thats all! How did you manage to meet someone fromt manor coming from such a wonderful place like St anningtons?:hihi: :hihi:

Im starting to wonder that myself hehe.

We just thought it'd be nice for the bit under our usernames hehe.

He loves Stannington really... everyone defends their routes though.

I would love to see the Hare & Hounds re-open as well Blacksheep, but I honestly don't believe there is enough trade in the village or surrounding areas to support five pubs. The advent of ever cheaper ale in supermarkets and more forms of home entertainment, has meant that it's a struggle for those still in business.

I would hate to see the pub site and the historic old cricket ground behind it being developed for more housing, but that's what may happen. Having said that, the building is a 60's eyesore and something needs doing to it!

In answer to the OP. Born on Moorland Place 44yrs ago and lived here every day since. 'Educated' (if you can call my efforts that!) at the Infants' school, Nook Lane, then Bradfield - may go to the 50th anniversary 'do' on 1st July.

We moved from Moorland Place 5 years ago.

Lived at number 8.

Nice place that is.