Breastfeeding megathread

I only managed 6.5 weeks and it's actually not bad at all, quite a nice close experience with your baby once you get past the latch on bit. One of my girls was so good she pretty much taught me, the other was so lazy I had to bottle feed her in the end and that's why I stopped, it was just too hard to do both.

I was expressing for the bottle and although undignified it's good for you both if you can;t directly b/f.

The best technique I saw was a friend who always carried a beautiful soft fleece blanket which she draped over her shoulder - like a burp cloth and then popped the baby on the breast which was then discreetly covered by the fleece. The baby was all snuggled up, no one was offended and my friend had a sick free shoulder because of the fleece when it came to burping.

A winner all round!

oh god just spoke to some1 who used to cry each time she fed baby due to pain....my other friend has just said you point nipple towards roof of baby mouth or something?

how do u remember which boob to use :) think ill drop in at hills library can i take my toddler?

I have successfully fed my child for 2 years and I am a breastfeeding peer counsellor. However, the first 2 weeks were not good, and the first few days were awful. I had no colostrum and my milk didn't come in for a few days. My baby did not know how to suck (the hospital showed me that if you stuck a finger in her mouth, that would first teach her to suck) and then she had to learn to latch on - which took time, although I thought I'd given birth to something that belonged to the circus just because she couldn't do these things automatically! I asked for a lot of help in hospital and did not leave until I was feeding successfully (I had to stay in for 6 days and felt awful as all the formula feeding mums were out the same day!) - as my baby didn't start to feed properly until the evening of the 4th night which was when my milk came in. Breastfeeding is mostly a skill, and therefore something that most people have to learn, rather than something you can or can't do and that is it!

The things you can do while you are pregnant are this:

1. Join a breastfeeding support group - they are usually interested in talking to pregnant women as women who attend groups before childbirth are more successful in breastfeeding.

2. Read about breastfeeding - but read wisely. I read a book by a Dr Sears which was very helpful. La leche league also produce some good literature. Some books I've read are awful and if you follow their advice, you will definitely fail.

3. Ask for help - midwives are trained in breastfeeding and they will give advice on positions (ie lying down in bed etc). Also there are telephone helplines and other mothers - it's a good idea to have a list of these resources ready before you give birth. For the first few days my child would only be able to latch on if i picked her up by the scruff of her neck for some reason, but after a couple of weeks she was fine.

4. If it hurts then something is wrong and that's a sign you need to ask for help. Usually this is down to poor latching on but once that's sorted you will be fine.

5. When you write your birth plan, make sure you put down that you want to try breastfeeding and that the baby should go on to your tummy as soon as possible after the birth (I'm assuming it's a natural birth and all has gone well). Skin to skin contact (and plenty of it) also provides the right conditions to encourage breastfeeding.

Also, I think you can't introduce a dummy or a bottle before 2 months. This causes 'nipple confusion' because a breastfeeding baby sucks differently. Also, if you do introduce formula milk, it can adversely affect your own milk supply. And, contrary to some parenting books, you *must* feed on demand if you are to produce the right amount of milk for your baby. If you're worried about your milk supply then you must put your baby to the breast more...but basically as long as your baby is producing wet and dirty nappies then everything is fine. If not, then again you need to ask for help.

Also, you may need to familiarise yourself with safe co-sleeping guidelines (these are available online and in hospital)

And also be aware (don't laugh at this one - and I'm not the only one to make this mistake!) that your periods probably won't return for a very long time. Mine didn't come back for over 14 months, which is pretty much average, but often they don't tell you these things in hospital - just the advantages!

Re which boob to use - my child always used both! If she fussed at one, I would just put her on the other. The stuff about foremilk and hindmilk is now said to be not true. A lot of research has been done recently into breastmilk and it's now said that you produce different sorts of milk at different times of the day.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you.

oh god just spoke to some1 who used to cry each time she fed baby due to pain....my other friend has just said you point nipple towards roof of baby mouth or something?

how do u remember which boob to use :) think ill drop in at hills library can i take my toddler?

I know this, I know this! (about the only thing I feel I do know): put a piece of string or and elastic band around your wrist once you've fed from that breast you'll then know next time to use the boob without the band.

I have successfully fed my child for 2 years and I am a breastfeeding peer counsellor. However, the first 2 weeks were not good, and the first few days were awful. I had no colostrum and my milk didn't come in for a few days. My baby did not know how to suck (the hospital showed me that if you stuck a finger in her mouth, that would first teach her to suck) and then she had to learn to latch on - which took time, although I thought I'd given birth to something that belonged to the circus just because she couldn't do these things automatically! I asked for a lot of help in hospital and did not leave until I was feeding successfully (I had to stay in for 6 days and felt awful as all the formula feeding mums were out the same day!) - as my baby didn't start to feed properly until the evening of the 4th night which was when my milk came in. Breastfeeding is mostly a skill, and therefore something that most people have to learn, rather than something you can or can't do and that is it!

The things you can do while you are pregnant are this:

1. Join a breastfeeding support group - they are usually interested in talking to pregnant women as women who attend groups before childbirth are more successful in breastfeeding.

2. Read about breastfeeding - but read wisely. I read a book by a Dr Sears which was very helpful. La leche league also produce some good literature. Some books I've read are awful and if you follow their advice, you will definitely fail.

3. Ask for help - midwives are trained in breastfeeding and they will give advice on positions (ie lying down in bed etc). Also there are telephone helplines and other mothers - it's a good idea to have a list of these resources ready before you give birth. For the first few days my child would only be able to latch on if i picked her up by the scruff of her neck for some reason, but after a couple of weeks she was fine.

4. If it hurts then something is wrong and that's a sign you need to ask for help. Usually this is down to poor latching on but once that's sorted you will be fine.

5. When you write your birth plan, make sure you put down that you want to try breastfeeding and that the baby should go on to your tummy as soon as possible after the birth (I'm assuming it's a natural birth and all has gone well). Skin to skin contact (and plenty of it) also provides the right conditions to encourage breastfeeding.

Also, I think you can't introduce a dummy or a bottle before 2 months. This causes 'nipple confusion' because a breastfeeding baby sucks differently. Also, if you do introduce formula milk, it can adversely affect your own milk supply. And, contrary to some parenting books, you *must* feed on demand if you are to produce the right amount of milk for your baby. If you're worried about your milk supply then you must put your baby to the breast more...but basically as long as your baby is producing wet and dirty nappies then everything is fine. If not, then again you need to ask for help.

Also, you may need to familiarise yourself with safe co-sleeping guidelines (these are available online and in hospital)

And also be aware (don't laugh at this one - and I'm not the only one to make this mistake!) that your periods probably won't return for a very long time. Mine didn't come back for over 14 months, which is pretty much average, but often they don't tell you these things in hospital - just the advantages!

Re which boob to use - my child always used both! If she fussed at one, I would just put her on the other. The stuff about foremilk and hindmilk is now said to be not true. A lot of research has been done recently into breastmilk and it's now said that you produce different sorts of milk at different times of the day.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you.

Thanks so much for such a comprehensive response, and thanks to everyone who's reassured us. I really really hope I'll be able to BF and feel like it really is possible to actually enjoy it too.

I'm a breastfeeding peer councellor i'm still breastfeeding my 16 month old if anyone wants any help or advice PM me

Mel xx

Yes take your toddler (I used to take mine and the baby when I was a peer supporter) its held in the kids library so there is plenty for them to do:D

Hi Natalie! I b/f'd my son for years :P PM me if you like! Also you can usually remember which boob you need to use next, as one will be fuller than the other ;) It can be uncomfortable at first, but this is because your nipples aren't used to being used quite as much as they are with a newborn baby latched on! :) They do get used to it though, and yes when the milk is 'let down' that can be uncomfortable for a week or two. :)

"Nipple to Nose" :P

Also, I think you can't introduce a dummy or a bottle before 2 months. This causes 'nipple confusion' because a breastfeeding baby sucks differently. Also, if you do introduce formula milk, it can adversely affect your own milk supply.

I agree with all of it but this bit. Once you are comfortable, and your baby is comfortable, and you are confident enough, the decision is yours. Alternatively, if it is going to give you a much needed break and some breathing/sleeping space in those first few days, don't automatically feel guilty if formula is offered. It isn't absolutely definitely going to stop you breastfeeding!!!! And if it helps you keep sane, that is the important thing.

I absolutely needed my child to take some formula in hospital (he had trouble latching on, slow milk, NOOOOO sleep at all for six days, leading down a spiral of misery and depression). They tried both teat and pipette, and he took to both fine...and I kept trying with the breastfeeding until we got it right, much more calmly and psychologically ready. It did him no harm, nor did it affect the breastfeeding.

If anything, it was a bonus when I later needed to include first expressed then formula milk into our routine...he took to the bottle quite happily.

And if you do need at some time to supplement with formula (I never quite recovered from those first few days, didn't sleep for weeks, and finally knew I just had to do it to help me recover some of my sanity) then you just need to be sensible and follow a regime where you express religiously. You can freeze the excess milk and use it later. I very successfully breastfed, expressed and supplemented for months and never had a hint of losing my milk.

Throughout all of this, I was dogged by guilt because everyone was saying you can't, and then well, you shouldn't...and I often felt like a terrible failure when in fact I was doing exactly what was needed to keep both myself and my child well and happy. I object to the 'you mustn'ts' when it is possible to make it happen, if not for everyone, then for some (possibly many, but how many people are bullied out of even trying by the strict guidelines and constant naysaying?)

Do what is best for your baby - but that includes what is best for YOU. Do not be afraid to go against all the constant strictures and ask again and again if you have to for support in doing what you think will work best for you, even if the government and WHO etc all have their own ideas about what's best for you. We are all individual, with different ways of doing things, and that includes the babies.

Sorry to rant. :D

so what do u do if baby doesnt feed properly for first few days and cant latch properly? do u express and use one if those breast bottles? i dont want my baby to go hungry.

i struggled so much with my first as he couldnt drink from bottle as was tube fed in special care so took ages and lots of tears to get him to drink properly-hope this one goes well-doing my birth plan next week with midwife-maybe theyll read it this time? hehe!

Try not to worry and be open to options Nat. My eldest was a devil to latch on properly but I had the support of my midwife who would literally grab my boob and get him latched on :hihi:

Not very dignified but it did the trick. DS#2 was a natural at it, he knew exactly what to do which was a relief. Just see how it goes and if you are having a problem ask for help. Getting involved in peer support for BF before you have baby will be a help too.

Good luck.

Foxy

so what do u do if baby doesnt feed properly for first few days and cant latch properly?

Keep trying, don't give up, and keep asking for help until you and baby are both confident latching on. :) I thankfully had great midwife care post natally, and they were always happy to talk and advise and answer questions.

One good tip is to get baby's mouth wide open ready for you to 'roll' booba in. :P If baby doesn't open wide its nigh impossible to get enough boob in to get milk flowing and will only cause pain and discomfort for you, and frustration for both of you! You encourage them to do this by brushing their cheek or nose with your nipple. Only when they really open wide do you 'roll' booby in - IIRC you get as much of the areola, in fact all of the bottom half, into babaa's lower jaw. Then as the mouth closes, ypu 'roll' the nipple and rest of the areola in.

Do lots of googling for tips about best position to hold baby etc. Its essential that you are both comfortable when developing this skill between you! :)